Preps 5 to 6 inevitable - tips?

Started by DCurry, December 17, 2013, 07:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

Thanks Joe! I figure we have to jump into Preps 6 with both feet.
Now if only management would give us the time to open it and learn how to use it.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

He probably figures you will learn it better if you are thrown into the battle unarmed. Good luck.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Joe, saw you on the board at GUA; did you ever get 6 to run seamlessly on Mavericks? I presume 7 works without issue.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

The only problem I had with Preps 6.3 build 129 was file corruption to .tpl and .job files but it turns out that was an OS X 10.9.2 issue and was fixed when I installed OS X 10.9.3. Kodak will tell you the only compatible version with Mavericks though is Preps 7.0.2 which I have upgraded to.

DigiCorn

Does Mavericks still allow afp or is it smb only?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

It still shows it in the File Sharing system preference as shown below but trying to connect via AFP from older Macs or Windows Server probably won't work as they are on old versions of AFP.

DigiCorn

That screws me. We never upgraded and are still on Rampage 10. Rampage 10 (JVX) only works via afp, so if I upgrade, I won't be able to run my RIP. If I don't upgrade, I can run Adobe CS CC 2014 edition. I guess I'll have to have two Macs up and running now, just like I have two Windows boxes (one for Smart Board and one W7 with Adobe CS/CC).
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I did say "probably". Not 100% sure though.

Syphon

Quote from: Joe on July 08, 2014, 06:44:42 PM
Quote from: Syphon on July 08, 2014, 05:50:32 PMHEY! I'm back!

Sorry that I been gone for long time. Nothing new other than the boss on our backs to get a lot more done with just the two prepress people we have at a time when 50% of printing is being done in prepress dept. Oh what fun!

So moving on, we are just starting the move to Preps 6 and management just had Prinergy updated to Prinergy 5.1.2.3. As of now, we have both Preps 5 and Preps 6 which we have not even touched yet. Our two main Macs running 10.6.8, one old Mac running 10.5 and a PC running Windows 7. We just bought a iMac running OSX 10.8 with plans to update our newest (2009) iMac to 10.8 and future plans to upgrade our Windows 2003 server next year if budget allows. So I am left with questions:

1. Can we still use Preps 5.3.3.3 on Mac OSX 10.8 if we upgrade the Macs? We were told we can't since we are now Prinergy 5.1.2.3. Eventually we plan to start learning Preps 6 once management give us time to start watching videos on it.

2. By what I seen briefly, very briefly, Preps 6 seems like a whole new program. So anyone who had any use of Preps can pass any tips to someone who about to head into the darkness of Preps? In other words, any heads up on what problems to expect would be nice.

I am sure that I and my fellow prepress buddy will have more questions once we open it.

Thanks.

Welcome back Syphon.

Preps 5.3.3 cannot run on Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9. You can still run Preps 5.3.3. with Prinergy 5.1.2.3 as long as your Macs are running OS X 10.6.8. If you move your Macs beyond that you will not be able to run Preps 5.3.3. However Prinergy 5.1.2.3 will overwrite your Preps 5 install with Preps 6 in your AraxiPreps folder so before you install Workshop you need to make a copy of the AraxiPreps folder and name it something like Preps5. Once you install Workshop you can then still use Preps 5 as long as your Macs are still on OS X 10.6.8. (Or you are running Workshop on Windows 7 or 8)

Just a note about your Windows 2003 Server. Microsoft will discontinue Windows 2003 Server in July 2015 the same way they discontinued Windows XP this past April. So it's best to plan in advance to replace it.

Preps 6 is completely different than 5. You pretty much have to completely re-learn the whole program. Fortunately you can convert your templates to Preps 6 format however if you are like we were and stored bunches of impositions in a single .tpl file you will run into problems. The best way to handle a template system like that is to convert them so each .tpl file only contains one imposition. At one time I had a convertor to do that but not sure if I still have it or not. If you might need it let me know and I'll try to track it down. We're actually running Preps 7.0.2 here now and it is pretty much the same as Preps 6 so if you have any specific questions just post it here on the forum and I'm sure someone can answer them for you.

Hey Joe, if you have that convertor, I might try it.
But I just wonder if we are better off just create new templates since we have a lot of templates we just do not use any more.
Is it possible to create a templates folder just for new templates created in Preps 6?
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

Just create a new folder called "Preps 6" inside you your existing templates folder and save them into it. I actually use a folder structure with the templates folder where I create a folder called "Press trim size binding style" and other info that might be needed in the folder name. Then inside that folder I will have all of the different templates we might need for that particular run like 8pg, 16pg, 24pg, 32pg etc...

I will look for that convertor. T-Pat originally gave it to me. There was a Mac and a Windows version. I never could get the Mac version to work but the Windows version did. I know I do not have the Windows PC I used at the time so no guarantee on finding it.

Syphon

Quote from: Joe on July 10, 2014, 10:22:46 AMJust create a new folder called "Preps 6" inside you your existing templates folder and save them into it. I actually use a folder structure with the templates folder where I create a folder called "Press trim size binding style" and other info that might be needed in the folder name. Then inside that folder I will have all of the different templates we might need for that particular run like 8pg, 16pg, 24pg, 32pg etc...

I will look for that convertor. T-Pat originally gave it to me. There was a Mac and a Windows version. I never could get the Mac version to work but the Windows version did. I know I do not have the Windows PC I used at the time so no guarantee on finding it.

If can't find the convertor that is okay Joe.
Personally, I rather start from scratch after looking at all my templates, most we don't use anymore.
After many years using Preps, I kinda wish I knew back when I started using Preps what I know now.
I would have done a lot of things differently and maybe have a more organized system.
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

Quote from: Syphon on July 10, 2014, 06:45:06 PM
Quote from: Joe on July 10, 2014, 10:22:46 AMJust create a new folder called "Preps 6" inside you your existing templates folder and save them into it. I actually use a folder structure with the templates folder where I create a folder called "Press trim size binding style" and other info that might be needed in the folder name. Then inside that folder I will have all of the different templates we might need for that particular run like 8pg, 16pg, 24pg, 32pg etc...

If can't find the convertor that is okay Joe.
Personally, I rather start from scratch after looking at all my templates, most we don't use anymore.
After many years using Preps, I kinda wish I knew back when I started using Preps what I know now.
I would have done a lot of things differently and maybe have a more organized system.

Well that is actually good news since I can't find it and I asked t-pat also and he doesn't have it either. He actually got it from Kodak so you could ask them about it if you really need it.

Syphon

Actually, I rather not deal with the whole thing and just crawl into bed and hide under my sheets until the whole place goes to hell. :undecided:
Adobe Acrobat

Farabomb

I've used that tactic with limited success.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Syphon

FINALLY, started going through the Preps 6 videos and reading the manual this afternoon!
Took months for management to give some time.
They waited until our backs are against the wall and it had to be done now since we are planning to update OS and CC applications.

Just wondering how much time others spent on Preps 6 training.
I told them it should take a couple of days and I am planning to open the Preps 6 app tomorrow and try some test files I created.
Adobe Acrobat