digital antenna - anyone got a good one?

Started by DCurry, February 14, 2014, 07:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

I'm thinking about getting a digital antenna so I can cut $6 off my cable bill for a digital adapter on a TV that we rarely use and don't need all the good channels on. Anyone using a good one that they can recommend? Looks pretty overwhelming trying to figure out which ones are decent, but not too expensive.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

almaink

I heard if you already have one of those old in the Attic or on the roof types it will work great for digital. All you need is a converter for the wire.
Like this one
http://www.amazon.com/300-Ohm-UHF-Matching-Transformer/dp/B0002ZPIOG
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

David

I built one of these about 5-6 years ago, it's on the roof and works great!
Used a 2x4 with some copper wire from an old piece of Romex.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DCurry

No roof antenna - looking at the indoor ones like the Mohu Leaf.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

I have that exact indoor antenna. It works if you're in a metro area. What I should have done is a little more research. Turns out in the mountainous area I live in I need an amplified one with directional control. I get one station and it's nothing but infomercials.

Sites like this help as well. http://www.antennaweb.org/
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job