Mesh Wifi-Hype?

Started by Slappy, January 06, 2017, 11:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

SpicyVindaloo

Quote from: Farabomb on January 09, 2017, 07:31:17 AMI was looking into a new one but found DD-WRT and installed it and it's been running without issue for over a year now. Do I know what a quarter of the settings do, hell no but It's a LOT more stable that it was in the past.

DD-WRT is kind of amazing at un-crippling a router. I used it for years on a cheap router and it was crazy how much better it got.
I've also used Powerline networking with decent results.

almaink

OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

DigiCorn

We moved and Comcrap is the best service in the area an I've had them all. Their modem delivers consistent speeds at about 110mpbs wired and they gave me a pretty strong dual band AC router built in. I had my own ASUS AC router, but it's only about half as strong, but it's connected and online because I need the wired ports. My next door neighbor is a network guy for the state and he says it's bad to have a hub on the network, but didn't say why. I could use the extra ports in the living room, and I have one hard line out there now. I'm not sure if I should invest in a switch (I have a 4 port GB hub, not currently being used) or move my AC router to the living room to extend my range and use it as a wired access point... the hard line is connected to my DirectV for on-demand, but I could use hard lines on my smart tv and blu ray too, as the wi-fi connection is always getting dropped. Any suggestions?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

DD-WRT is great when there is a good stable build for your router. I've read that recent builds are iffy because the #1 guy left or something.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Grimace on January 09, 2017, 11:45:02 AMI'm not very tech savvy anymore so i just bought the Apple Airport Extreme. Stupid name to be sure, but I get access all over the house, outside, and at the neighbors (on the side my office is). I only have a 1700 sq foot house though.
One thing I like about Apple's set up: they make it really easy to set up an invisible network. I don't like to broadcast that my network exists, even when protected with good password.
...sitting in hairdresser waiting for wife the other day. Inner-west, older, a bit hipster/offbeat/gay-lesbian area.
I like the top one.
If I've posted this before, i apologise. Worth a rerun though.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

Now that could be girls have crabs, might be an amazing local seafood place or girl shave crabs where equally hirsute hippy girls shave crabs that have complexes about their overly hairy claws.

Digi, a hub is a "dumb" interconnect where as a switch is "smart". Basically a packet comes down the line and a hub will distribute it to all ports and a switch will send it only to the intended IP address. A switch will talk to the one neighbor while a hub yells it to the whole neighborhood.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 10, 2017, 08:44:09 AMDigi, a hub is a "dumb" interconnect where as a switch is "smart". Basically a packet comes down the line and a hub will distribute it to all ports and a switch will send it only to the intended IP address. A switch will talk to the one neighbor while a hub yells it to the whole neighborhood.

I mean if it is on the local network (of trusted devices) what is the harm of the hub? Unless you mean it travels back through the firewall and out to the internet which I'm pretty sure is not the case.

Farabomb

I agree though all I have ever bought were switches. I guess if you have a lot of devices and a lot of network traffic you might see a slow down in your home network. It really matters more in a business network where you don't want any slowdowns or sensitive traffic bouncing around the ether.

The router is the Post Office, the firewall is Customs, the mail carrier is a switch and EDDM is a hub.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Quote from: almaink on January 09, 2017, 03:30:19 PMCheck this out. It might just be the channel you are using.
http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html
That's a pretty good explanation, I don't see anything about the 5GHz band though. I read a little about interference on that and how some of the earlier model cordless phones operate on that band and can create some nasty problems with WiFi in the 5GHz range.

Oh, and since we moved I was "requested" by the Other to change our dual band names from "WuTang LAN" and "EhrmagherdWerFer" to something else. After way too much thought and input from the FB crowd I settled on:

LeafOnTheWind (for the 2GHz)
Shiny (for the 5GHz)

She has no idea what they mean, but hasn't complained yet.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

5g also doesn't have the range that 2.4 does. Again, not that much of an issue in my place but might in others.

Why does the Other care. It can be far worse like, I can hear you screw or something. I will say it's annoying that my phone will give a popup telling me what network I'm connected to. That's all well and good but you can timeout and go away. For some unknown reason I hate having tons of notifications in the bar. it really bugs me. I also hate when games notify with some loud ass noise or something. I play them while sitting on the can or avoiding talking to people. I don't need it to wake me up and scare the dog at 4AM.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Quote from: Slappy on January 10, 2017, 02:19:48 PMLeafOnTheWind (for the 2GHz)
Shiny (for the 5GHz)
Firefly references? Loved Firefly :thumbsup:

born2print

Quote from: Farabomb on January 10, 2017, 02:40:05 PMI also hate when games notify with some loud ass noise or something. I play them while sitting on the can or avoiding talking to people. I don't need it to wake me up and scare the dog at 4AM.
Grrrr I hate that too, the stupid Starbucks app sends notifications to the bar with a severely long and hard alarm... like the same as a flood warning or Amber alert. So annoying!

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 10, 2017, 02:40:05 PM5g also doesn't have the range that 2.4 does. Again, not that much of an issue in my place but might in others.

Indeed. My routers 5 GHz has about half the range of my 2.4 GHz.