News:

Main Menu

New Windows 10 PC

Started by G_Town, January 11, 2018, 12:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Ok great! I was a leary of the video coming from the processor.
I cannot load any software on the school computer, is there a way to see what's on their pc
you know like a MAC  :laugh:

and How do I tell about the Ports and the Monitor thingy :laugh:

AaronH

If you right click on computer under start, you can select properties from there and it will show the system specs. Not sure if it will show what video card is on them though. For that, you might need to go into the device manager, and view the display adapter properties. Even then, it might just show the series of card, not the specific series. so for an AMD card it would say something like AMD HD 7800 series or AMD RX 500 Series (Those are the better ones, the Vega ones are the best on their end). For Nvidia it might say something like GTX 1000 Series.

Which AutoCAD is the program you're looking for a computer to run? Autodesk's?
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

AaronH

This one would work for you Tracy. You'd need a screen and such but it has 16gb of DDR4 RAM and an AMD Radeon RX 570 with 4GB GDDR5 dedicated VRAM.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA7AB79A7047

That's the cheapest one with those specs I could find.

What is your budget?

AaronH

Since the minimum graphics requirements for AutoDesk's AutoCAD are a dedicated graphics card with 1GB of VRAM and a recommended 4GB of VRAM, I'd suggest getting any of the AMD RX 560, 570 or 580 or the NVIDIA GTX 1060, 1070 or 1080, though the 1080 is probably much more than you'll need, unless you're making a very large 3d scene. Still, though, money you spend now will lengthen the life of the computer before things need upgrading (theoretically).

Joe

The previous round of office PC's had AMD cpu's in them and I wasn't impressed. I'm sticking with Intel now even if it costs more.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Thanks Aaron and Joe!
I'm using AutoDesk 2019, the link is helpful, I can use that info and compare computers.
I have 800 set aside but would like to get the monitor with it as well.
Now I know how important the graphics card is, and defo 16g Ram minimum.
NewEgg does seem like the place to go.

delooch

I upgraded my win10 box to a Solid State Drive last night, holy shit what a difference. Best $99 spent on upgrades in a while.

wonderings

Quote from: delooch on September 25, 2018, 09:18:57 AMI upgraded my win10 box to a Solid State Drive last night, holy shit what a difference. Best $99 spent on upgrades in a while.

an SSD is the most noticeable upgrade you can do to a computer that still uses the old spinning hard drives. I personally would not buy computer without SSD or flash drive. Still stupid expensive though for large storage. I have 1 TB flash in my iMac that added a few pretty pennies to the final purchase price.

Joe

I saw a 500GB SSD on newegg.com today for $84.00 and a couple of weeks ago I saw a 1 TB SSD on Amazon for $198.00. Both of those prices are great compared to just 6 months ago.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

As Joe said, you want one with a separate video card. The on board video has come a long long way but having a separate card is always the way to go.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

scottrsimons

Amazon has a deal today for a SanDisk SSD Plus 1TB for 139.99, and a 2TB for 289.99.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

DigiCorn

The wife wanted a new, bigger TV for the bedroom, so we upgraded our 32" to a 43" and now I have a 32" TV monitor for my Windows 10 box. I also have a 24" TV for a 2nd screen, and in the bar computer I also have a 24" TV monitor which means I now have a 22" LG DVI and a 21" Dell DVI widescreen monitors with nothing to use them for. I guess if I get the iMac from work, I'll use the LG as a 2nd screen, but still have an extra monitor.

I really need a 1TB SSD for my main computer, since I use it mostly as a streaming server for Plex.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

What has me confused is the Graphics Card
the specs for AutoCad says:

Basic: 1GB GPU with 29GB/s Bandwidth  and DirectX 11 compliant

Recommended: 4GB GPU with 106GB/s Bandwidth  and DirectX 11 compliant

can anyone clarify this in simple terms?
I've been looking on the Dell site, just to get a feel for Dells
I found this, the graphics card doesn't say anything like the above

AaronH

The intel graphics is an integrated graphics which is essentially part of the CPU. Intel doesn't make any consumer level dedicated graphics cards yet (They're working on them but they are thousands of dollars at the moment). You'll want an AMD or Nvidia graphics card. The minimum specs are for a card that's a few years old, but the recommended are for a mid range card. Depending on how involved or detailed you get on your CAD files, you'll want a graphics card with 4gb of vram or more. The direct X 11 is a newer set of shaders than previous versions and basically makes it capable to do more rendering stuff than previous iterations of direct x.

AaronH

Basically, a dedicated card comes with it's own ram. That's where the 4GB comes in. On an integrated GPU, like the Intel UHD 630, it's actually robbing your system of it's own ram and processing power to cover the graphics needs, unfortunately that means your CPU processing power and system memory goes out the window so to balance that out, you end up needing a lot of RAM and a very fast CPU to make them viable in any way. Your graphics card's ram is like the engine in your car. More VRAM is more horsepower and torque (sort of).

The bandwidth is how fast the card can transfer information to the motherboard and back. Basically a speed limit on a highway.

Direct X is a rendering language and the higher the number, the newer version of that language. So if you had someone come in speaking Middle English, they'd have a really tough time understanding what we're saying nowadays.