erasing hard drive

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, February 10, 2022, 05:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

However, the whole process was good and not so good.

The good? I managed to restore everything from scratch. The install of the flash drive worked but i had to do it twice, the first try had an error. I really like Big Sur when it's up and running. 

The bad? Still have startup problems. Restart progress on the startup screen goes to about 25 percent then stops. Boot in safe mode ok. 5 years of this shit. Keep turning off and restarting, it eventually boots. I leave it on as long as possible. Weeks if i can. So, we replaced the hard drive last year, did a total reinstall yesterday, and its still happening. Weird thing worth noting: In the cycle of pushing the power button constantly to get it to startup, the startup screen might have left side black, right side white, with a red apple logo. When this happens i know it's going to startup soon. Another thing I noticed today: I downloaded Onyx for Big Sur and ran it. It makes you restart after doing it's thing. It started up fine. Right away i restarted. It started up fine. I worked with the Mac for awhile and restarted and it stalled on the startup. Ran Onyx and it started up again.

I left it on. We are very busy and a guy from GlitchFix in Toronto is coming on Wednesday to see if he can figure it out. Fingers crossed. EYE OF THE TIGER!

BTW, where is Digicorn lately? Don't think i have seen a post from him in awhile.

Joe

Just my opinion but I don't think it is a hard drive issue. My guess is the logic board.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

I see Digicorn posting on Facebook still so he is still alive.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on February 13, 2022, 04:49:44 PMJust my opinion but I don't think it is a hard drive issue. My guess is the logic board.
Can you fix a logic board on a 2017 imac? Or is that pointing to a replacement?

We had to replace a board on our refrigerator and it fixed it up good.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on February 13, 2022, 04:49:44 PMJust my opinion but I don't think it is a hard drive issue. My guess is the logic board.
Probably right Joe, I will see what the GlitchFix guy says on Wednesday.

pspdfppdfxhd

So, does the logic board include the graphics card? Or are they 2 separate items?

Joe

Sure you can replace the logic board but it may cost more than you want to spend on a 5 year old iMac.

It depends on the model of iMac. On some of them the video module can be removed from the logic board and replaced. On some them it is actually part of the logic board and the whole thing has to be replaced.

What you are experiencing seems more like a logic board then a video problem. But hey I have been wrong before. Quite often. :)

pspdfppdfxhd

You sir, have forgotten more than I know. ;D

scottrsimons

I had an old iMac that I replaced the video card on. Found a used card cheap, so I gave it a go. And to my surprise it was good.

Have you tried running the hardware diags on the machine? Reboot and hold "D". If you have what did it say? And with all the odd issues you are having, I would agree with Joe. Maybe a hardware issue that is not the hard drive.

You could try starting it in "verbose" mode (reboot and hold "Command" + "V") to see all the giberish it spits out, and hopefully something catches your eye. You could time the "normal" boot until it stops and note it. Then keep track of the time until it sorta stopped under "normal" boot to see what is showing on the screen. Might give you some clues.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes we had tried the diagnostics awhile ago but nothing came up. I will give it another go though. I have tried the verbose startup a few times and once it hung on a line that contained something about Raedon (spelled right?) which is the brand of video card. Could be that. It's hard to read that 2 point type in verbose!