1 side variable on 2 side static issue

Started by wonderings, July 17, 2019, 09:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

I have a job to print. The shell is 2 sided, the variable is only on the front. I imposed my variable data PDF's and imposed the shell before going onto the Fiery as I always do it. I make my master sheet, tell it to duplex and RIP. I then use the variable PDF, select the master sheet to use select duplex and RIP. The file for print has put variable data on the back and not left that blank. I have tried not clicking duplex but get the same result.

So how do I use a 2 sided master sheet that is static and imprint only the variable on one side in Fiery CWS? Or do I have to make a blank page for the back? That is the simple way that I know will work but thought there must be a way to do this without blank backs for every single one.

born2print

Forgive my ignorance, but cant you "pretend" the shells are 1/s and print variable imprint as a 1/s job?
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

wonderings

Quote from: born2print on July 17, 2019, 09:37:22 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but cant you "pretend" the shells are 1/s and print variable imprint as a 1/s job?

Not sure what you mean. I need to print the shell 2 sided and variable imprint only 1 side at the same time.

delooch

I cant test this at the moment, but under the VDP tab in Fiery, check the "Define record length"  box and set it to 1 page.

wonderings

Quote from: delooch on July 17, 2019, 09:45:31 AM
I cant test this at the moment, but under the VDP tab in Fiery, check the "Define record length"  box and set it to 1 page.

I had tried that, brought up an conflicting error message. I am doing the backwards way right now to get the job done but will continue to test, it can't be that uncommon.

born2print

ah, sorry, I thought the shell was pre-printed. Well, could run 2 passes (2/s shell then 1/s imprint) but I guess you're looking for a smoother idea.

DigiCorn

If the shell is pre-printed, then set it up as a 1-sided job. If you're imprinting the shell at the same time, you can use the Fiery to create a master to save on RIP time, but you MUST have a blank page for the 2nd side in your imprint file. Been there, done that.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

wonderings

Nothing is preprinted in this scenario, would be easy if that was the case as I could just run it one sided. Going to try out the "define record length" again when I have some time.

Tracy

Digi said you have to have a blank for your second side for your imprint

wonderings

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 17, 2019, 10:10:02 AM
If the shell is pre-printed, then set it up as a 1-sided job. If you're imprinting the shell at the same time, you can use the Fiery to create a master to save on RIP time, but you MUST have a blank page for the 2nd side in your imprint file. Been there, done that.

Good to know, though surprised there is no option for scenarios like this. It can't be that uncommon to only variable print on 1 side of a 2 sided job.

Tracy

yeah also does your copier have a click charge for that blank side?
that would be wrong!

born2print

but it wont be blank, it will have the static side of the shell...

anyways - yes I bet it would count as a click!

wonderings

Quote from: Tracy on July 17, 2019, 02:15:39 PM
yeah also does your copier have a click charge for that blank side?
that would be wrong!

It is printing 2 sided so yes a click charge. If this was a one side letter it would have been a lot simpler. At least I know for next time to not waste time trying to figure out how to do something that cannot be done.

bill kahny

Very easy. Make a file for your master with page 1 blank and common back as page 2. Create your master as usual in CW. Your variable file is all fronts. No need for a back page. In CW for your variable file go to VDP, select your master, check "Enable enhanced FreeForm" and then click "Define Mapping". Variable pages per record = 1. Total pages per record = 2. Click continue. Below in Mapping & Order: 1 = variable page 1, master page 1; 2 = no variable, master page 2. You are ready to roll.

I copied this from a user on printplanet named gregbatch I couldn't get it to work either and these instructions are spot on.