CWS paper profiles

Started by DigiCorn, October 03, 2019, 11:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

This new shop, where I am now entrenched "permanently," has an EX1000 Fiery 10 running a Xerox 1000 color digital press. Creating a new paper profile, and then calibrating it and creating an alignment profile is easy.... but getting CWS to recognize that new paper? It just doesn't. How to do this, plz?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

wonderings

What do you mean? When you load up CWS you should have access to the paper catalogue there. No need to select sheet size, paperweights or anything like that, just select from the paper catalogue in CWS and finish the rest of the settings you need.

DigiCorn

Figured it out. One of the Windows updates turned on a firewall that prevented the color press from talking to the Fiery. Once it was turned off, all the newly created paper profiles populated the Fiery as they should have all along.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Back on this since it's slow today. The firewall was only a temporary fix. After a reboot, same problem returned.

Here's the deal: the previous administration here didn't properly profile their paper stocks, nor did they create proper alignment profiles, so I am rebuilding them as I go. The paper profiling is done on the ColorPress 1000 GUI, which is a separate device from the Fiery. The machines sit side by side, and communicate through our network. The ColorPress 1000 GUI does not have internet access, and via Xerox, it should never be online. It has an address of 10.0.0.3 with a *router* of 100.100.100.254.

The Fiery has 2 network adapter cards. One which connects directly to the ColorPress 1000 and one which connects online to the outside world and intranet. The first adapter is obviously configured correctly and regularly talks to any device or internet as needed without issue. The second adapter should be configured with an address of 10.0.0.2, but it will not hold that address; it routinely reconfigures itself to a different IP address. I have literally gone in manually and reconfigured it to be static at 10.0.0.2 but sometimes instantly, sometimes, shortly, or sometimes hours/days later it will reassign to the same static IP address, NOT the IP we need. It is not on DHCP.

Xerox tech support is stumped, and has not gotten back to me with an answer, months later, despite regular follow-ups. It's really a network problem and not a Fiery/Xerox issue.

When I set the address (in Windows 7/Network Adapter Settings/IVP4/Properties) to be static, it will tell me immediately that there is an IP conflict, but if I reset it to DHCP and then back to static it accepts it without issue, and will show in the command prompt as 10.0.0.2 when the DOS command ipconfig is used. It will still do this (report 10.0.0.2... sometimes) even when it has reconfigured itself with the other, incorrect IP address.

Are there other places to configure the Fiery network adapter to a static IP? I have checked the Configure panel in Command Workstation, but it has adapter 1 settings for internet connection, and since Xerox installed this, I can only presume this is correct.

In the past, setting adapter 2 to 10.0.0.2 would update the paper profiles to the Fiery so we can use them. Now it won't do it anymore. Any other suggestions?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

So your ColorPress 1000 is running under Win 7? And that adapter is set to 10.0.0.3 with a *router* of 100.100.100.254? By router is that the "default gateway"? That 100.100.100.254 seems out of place unless that is a router on your network?????
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on December 24, 2019, 11:15:44 AM
So your ColorPress 1000 is running under Win 7? And that adapter is set to 10.0.0.3 with a *router* of 100.100.100.254? By router is that the "default gateway"? That 100.100.100.254 seems out of place unless that is a router on your network?????
Yes to all. But Xerox set the colorpress at that address, and it works... just doesn't update paper profiles... and the paper profiles are definitely affected by adapter settings on the Fiery, which is also on Windows 7.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Your Fiery is Win 7? Never see one on a Windows box. Ours has always been on some brand of Linux.

OK so that address of 100.100.100.254 is a router on your network? Can you go into the settings and see if it is serving out DHCP addresses. It could be that it is set to configure your ColorPress 1000, via its Mac address, to another IP address and could be why your static address isn't holding. Can you post what all 3 of your network adapters are set to for their IP, gateway and DNS if applicable?

DigiCorn

For further clarification, I can create new paper profiles and alignments. That's NOT the issue. The issue is that when the Fiery is being configured for a job, the new paper profile is assigned on the ColorPress, and the Fiery reports the tray back as "Unassigned," but will work with older, already existing paper profiles.

And, NO, 100.100.100.254 is NOT a router on our network. It's how Xerox configured the press on install. And they said not to change it. And it works with that address. Well, I should say it *did* work with that address. For some reason, and no one here has any clarification because no one from the previous company works here any more, Xerox came out and rebuilt the Fiery from scratch with fresh, clean installs of all the software. Since that was done, no new paper profiles can be sync'd. They can be created, but the Fiery says, "Unassigned," when they are applied. It did briefly work when we got the #2 adapter assigned to 10.0.0.2 but then stopped again, and changing the address to 10.0.0.2 no longer works.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

I don't know where, but the I believe the color press to be 10.0.0.1, the ColorPress GUI on Windows 7 to be 10.0.0.3 and the Fiery #2 adapter needs to be 10.0.0.2. I can try changing the #2 adapter default gateway from 100.100.100.254 to 10.0.0.1 and see if that works, but the ColorPress GUI default gateway is 100.100.100.254 and I'm not supposed to change it.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

OK your ColorPress 1000 that has the default gateway of 100.100.100.254...there has to be a device on your network that is assigned 100.100.100.254. I think you said that network adapter runs an ethernet cable to one of your network adapters on the Fiery PC right? What is the IP address default gateway of that adapter on the Fiery PC?

DigiCorn

It was 100.100.100.254, but I was testing 10.0.0.1

this is the problem here in the pic... the adapter is set to 10.0.0.1 but when you type ipconfig at the command prompt, it says it's 169.254.56.108

I don't know where it gets that address from... and no, it's not our router IP address to the outside world
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

That 169.254.56.108 is usually a random IP address when it can't set it to what you have entered.

OK on lan connection on the fiery the IP address is 192.168.1.201 and your default gateway is 192.168.1.1 which is probably your main router. Those numbers seem to be correct.

But on Lan connection2 it shows your default gateway as 10.0.0.1. Is that what was originally 100.100.100.254? And if so what was the original IP address that you now have as 10.0.0.2?

DigiCorn

Lan 2 is supposed to be 10.0.0.2... I may or may not have it fixed now.... but in the past, it would randomly change back to 169.254.56.108 whenever it felt like it. ALWAYS 169.254.56.108. I wrote it down back in October when I discovered the issue. And I did change back 100.100.100.254 but no way of knowing if that is correct.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Also on the network adapter on the fiery that has the IP address of 192.168.1.201....if you click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of that screen is there any info listed under the WINS tab?

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 24, 2019, 01:37:47 PM
Lan 2 is supposed to be 10.0.0.2... I may or may not have it fixed now.... but in the past, it would randomly change back to 169.254.56.108 whenever it felt like it. ALWAYS 169.254.56.108. I wrote it down back in October when I discovered the issue. And I did change back 100.100.100.254 but no way of knowing if that is correct.

Well Xerox told you it was correct so I have to assume it is but there has to be something on your network with an IP address of 100.100.100.254 for it to be used as a default gateway.