change pantone to CMYK value?

Started by wonderings, January 24, 2020, 07:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

So I am NEW NEW NEW to pitstop and enfocus, never used it before. At the new shop we have 2019.

I have an old business card file we used to print 2 colour on press and thermograve. We do not thermograve at the new shop and will be printing it on our Indigo. I do not think the red will match and want to be able to make adjustments to the file. With Pitstop Pro 2019 how do I select the Red (Pantone 032) and replace all instances of that pantone with a CMYK value?

Thanks

pspdfppdfxhd

Congratulations! You will thank God for pitstop!!

I'll let some of the smarter members guide you through, I know how to do it but do not communicate that well! It's not brain surgery!

Joe

Using "Global Changes". Select an object with that color. In Global Changes open the Standard ===> Color folder and double click "Change Specific Color". In the box that pops up click the eyedropper that opens the menu and select either Grab Fill or Grab Stroke, whichever applies here, and then in lower area of the box change the "To:" to whatever color space you desire. You can either type in specific values or you can use the eyedropper dropdown and use it to grab a stroke or fill of object or you can use the color palette icon to change to a color in your library, Pantones or colors you have added to the library. Then click the Run or Save button. Either will save those values in that Global Change but it will only do the correction if you click the Run button. Once you make a global change you can right click on it and save it as separate global change or action list. IN the global changes panel you can also have it run on a range of pages, the current page, the current document, or on just a selection. (all pages or just even pages or odd pages)

If "show result" is set to Always it will pop up a panel telling you the results of the correction and setting it to Never will not show that panel.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

This tool is also handy for changing RGB "black" or registration type to 100% K
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

wonderings

Thanks for the replies. I did figure out on my own how to change the pantone to a CMYK. It was not able to do everything though. There is one image that is all pixelated and might have been made through photoshop or corel years ago. It is black and pantone, that image did not change. Is Pitstop limited to changing vector images in this regard?

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on January 24, 2020, 09:01:19 AM
Using "Global Changes". Select an object with that color. In Global Changes open the Standard ===> Color folder and double click "Change Specific Color". In the box that pops up click the eyedropper that opens the menu and select either Grab Fill or Grab Stroke, whichever applies here, and then in lower area of the box change the "To:" to whatever color space you desire. You can either type in specific values or you can use the eyedropper dropdown and use it to grab a stroke or fill of object or you can use the color palette icon to change to a color in your library, Pantones or colors you have added to the library. Then click the Run or Save button. Either will save those values in that Global Change but it will only do the correction if you click the Run button. Once you make a global change you can right click on it and save it as separate global change or action list. IN the global changes panel you can also have it run on a range of pages, the current page, the current document, or on just a selection. (all pages or just even pages or odd pages)

If "show result" is set to Always it will pop up a panel telling you the results of the correction and setting it to Never will not show that panel.

Yup, Joe is one of the smarter members!

Tracy

Yes that tool is for vector color
you can change images to process with pitstop, I would make sure they are not .jpg compressed first
that will lower the res
compress files to zip in pitstop and then change to cmyk under color/color space

wonderings

Quote from: Tracy on January 24, 2020, 12:06:24 PM
Yes that tool is for vector color
you can change images to process with pitstop, I would make sure they are not .jpg compressed first
that will lower the res
compress files to zip in pitstop and then change to cmyk under color/color space

Not sure what the image originally was, came from Corel and I do not have the working files. It is 2 colours though, black and Red 032 and shows up in separations as that. I was hoping when I made the global change it would make it for any colour that was Red 032 but that was not the case. So I do not want to just convert to CMYK, I want to convert the Red 032 to a specific CMYK value.

David

I usually use the Remap color function for images

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

wonderings

Quote from: david on January 24, 2020, 01:06:15 PM
I usually use the Remap color function for images

That is how I did it, but the red in the bottom circle logo does not change:

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 3.49.57 PM by B P, on Flickr

The red in the circle is 100% a pantone and the same colour as the other red in the logo. In the test I did the global change to 100% cyan just to see if it would work.

David

weirdness..
can you post the pdf?  or a piece of it?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DCurry

that will lower the res
Huh? Why would changing the color mode lower the res? I've never seen this happen, but maybe I missed it?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on January 24, 2020, 03:42:04 PM
that will lower the res
Huh? Why would changing the color mode lower the res? I've never seen this happen, but maybe I missed it?

I don't think it lowers the resolution but if you use jpeg compression you can get the jpeg artifacts which makes it appear worse than before. The more compression the worse it gets.

Slappy

Quote from: born2print on January 24, 2020, 10:10:35 AM
This tool is also handy for changing RGB "black" or registration type to 100% K
Not sure if it was ever posted here, but abc put up an Action on the Linkedin Group I use a LOT any more. Attaching.
ymmv
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

That is a preflight profile with an action it. Does it need to be in the preflight profile for some reason?