News:

Main Menu

5g Phones

Started by DigiCorn, April 15, 2020, 04:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I've had my current phone for 3 or 4 years now. I forget. It's a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and it was alright. I had an iPhone 3 over a decade ago, and then 3 Samsungs in a row, but this one is on it's last legs and I'm thinking I'm ready to buy a new one. What would you go with and why? I'm leaning towards the iPhone 11 Pro 256gb but would consider another Galaxy Edge or perhaps the Pixel. I like a lot of things about the Android line, but I think I'm ready to just enjoy a phone that just always works instead of the tireless tinkering I seem to always be doing with my Androids.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I love my Pixel XL. I bought it when the Pixel 3 was the current version and I picked it for $229 new. It is 128 GB model. It is running Android 9 but it won't be updated to 10 as Google has stopped putting new versions on the original Pixel's (ver. 1). It is still the fastest phone I've ever had. In the future I'll stick with it and probably always stay at least a couple versions behind the latest and greatest. You can save a good chunk of money that way. Especially considering the latest Google Pixel 4 XL 128 gb is running over $1K. I will not ever pay over $1K for a damn phone.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

I still love love love my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (waterproof!).
I recently bought another aftermarket battery for it just to keep it going as long as possible. It does everything and does it well.
Why would I spend up to $1K for a new device?
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

Quote from: born2print on April 16, 2020, 10:30:47 AM
I recently bought another aftermarket battery for it just to keep it going as long as possible. It does everything and does it well.

No reason I can come up with!  :D

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on April 16, 2020, 10:54:33 AM
Quote from: born2print on April 16, 2020, 10:30:47 AM

No reason I can come up with!  :D
You must like dealing with hassles. I'm spoiled.

This phone quit recognizing the microSD card, so now I have no storage. I like the microSD, but you'll move an app to it and then if the card isn't seen, you've lost the use of that app. Plus, when the app updates, it moves itself back to the phone HD and then you have to move it back. I also have an ever-increasing circular loss of pixels on the upper left hand corner. It's almost half an inch in size now. The screen also seems to have lost it's touch ability, because there's at least a 2-second delay after you press something before it responds. I'm over it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 16, 2020, 11:10:04 AM
You must like dealing with hassles. I'm spoiled.

This phone quit recognizing the microSD card, so now I have no storage. I like the microSD, but you'll move an app to it and then if the card isn't seen, you've lost the use of that app. Plus, when the app updates, it moves itself back to the phone HD and then you have to move it back. I also have an ever-increasing circular loss of pixels on the upper left hand corner. It's almost half an inch in size now. The screen also seems to have lost it's touch ability, because there's at least a 2-second delay after you press something before it responds. I'm over it.

No not really fond of hassles. Before I bought the Pixel I did see those issues with buying cheap phones (<$100) which is why I finally got the Pixel. First off, on the Pixel there is no SD Card. Mine has 128 GB of internal storage so I don't have to worry about the crappy SD cards. I have no screen or touch issues. I've had it for a couple of years now and it works as good today as it worked the first day I got it. It was not a used or refurbished phone. It just wasn't latest overpriced version.

David

My iPhone 6S has been flawless since the day I bought it.

:banana:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Designia(o_O)

Quote from: david on April 16, 2020, 11:30:30 AM
My iPhone 6S has been flawless since the day I bought it.

:banana:

DITTO. And I got it as a free replacement. Although I did have to buy a new battery after a few years. $50. And I can't do backgrounds on Zoom. I.D.G.A.F. It's a $50 iPhone.

DigiCorn

Nobody is selling me on the android right now. I'm ordering the 11 pro 256. I don't hear any arguments that make it better, and I'm not concerned about being cheap.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

I've never owned a "new" smart phone. When the iPhone 6 came out, I bought a used iPhone 4 from a kid working in the local Walmart electronics dept for $100 as he upgraded to the 6. When the GPS rollover happened I (needlessly as it turns out) bought a used iPhone 7 off of kijiji for $150. The old iPhone 4 still worked in all aspects after the rollover so I could have stuck with it, but the 7 is faster and you can successfully browse more websites with it. Never had an issue with either iPhone.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Torix

Nobody is selling me on the android right now.

Designia(o_O)

My 2nd battery on my iPhone 6 is crapping out. I'm getting a 7 plus, 128GB $250. Can't beat it with a stick.
I'd go for the regular 7 but read it has battery issues too.

Joe

I'm tempted on the iPhone 11 SE for $400. But there are 400 reasons stopping me. :D

Possum

Don'tcha know all that 5G stuff causes Corona Virus? It either carries the virus or lowers immunity so we get it. So say the people who are actually burning down 5G cell towers here and in Europe.

:lmao:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

scottrsimons

Quote from: Possum on May 20, 2020, 10:15:46 AM
Don'tcha know all that 5G stuff causes Corona Virus? It either carries the virus or lowers immunity so we get it. So say the people who are actually burning down 5G cell towers here and in Europe.

:lmao:
I thought it was causing impotency.
Man, I need to get back on the band wagon.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson