Indesign calendar layout

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, June 14, 2021, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Okay, this one is hard to explain...

We received a calendar layout in Indesign that is like spreads that are positioned vertically. You look at the pages pallet and they are horizontal. It is readers spreads and if you export them as pages you get single pages which is what we need for impo. For example, you will see January with the calendar below etc. The view has not been rotated.

pspdfppdfxhd

Sorry, i meant you will see January with the January calendar below and so on.

Possum

I used to do a couple of calendars like that. They were printed two up. I'm sure you're printing them on larger stock than that.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

wonderings

I setup calendars like a magazine if saddle stitched. I setup landscape and then switch to portrait and treated it like any other magazine for imposition.

pspdfppdfxhd

I kind of figured it out, they must have taken the shuffle pages option off, setup original without facing pages and used the page tool to shift around the pages. Can't see any easy way to get them back into single pages though.

pspdfppdfxhd

I mean aside from using the page tool and dragging them around one at a time.

Possum

Doncha love it when customers try to "help" you? Anytime I've received a file that's set up 2 or 4 up I always have to take it apart because their spacing is off. Same with tri-fold brochues.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

my favorite line:

do me a favor and don't do me any favors

spend too much time "fixing" print ready files

:death:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Quote from: Possum on June 15, 2021, 12:32:09 PM
Doncha love it when customers try to "help" you? Anytime I've received a file that's set up 2 or 4 up I always have to take it apart because their spacing is off. Same with tri-fold brochues.
And I used to suspect that not all 2 or 4 copies of the art were exactly the same... so I would use the top or first one. Sue me! :shrug:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

AaronH

This is my favorite.  :sarcasm: Customers send us printer spreads all the time. Even other printers. Now I have to break it apart to impose it for a 16 page fold, because your system is on a Xerox and can only do 4 pagers.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

Quote from: AaronH on June 24, 2021, 12:59:02 PM
This is my favorite.  :sarcasm: Customers send us printer spreads all the time. Even other printers. Now I have to break it apart to impose it for a 16 page fold, because your system is on a Xerox and can only do 4 pagers.
I would just rip a pdf of the spreads, and then use the automated pdf placement script to place and move the evens, then the odds to a new ID file to quickly 1-up the jobs.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Another trick is (in Preps) is to "combine spreads" and then assign the printer-spreads pdf

Joe

Quote from: born2print on June 25, 2021, 10:04:37 AM
Another trick is (in Preps) is to "combine spreads" and then assign the printer-spreads pdf

We usually impose with the Prinergy Signature Selection tool so we split the spreads in the Normalizer when refining the files. I've looked at the "combine spreads" in Preps and never could get it to work right. Tell me your secret.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

First trick is correct selection tool (hollow arrow),
second, activate just 1 side of a form rather than the whole form, that's the thing that stumps folks,
then command-select both pages / edit / combine as spreads / both.
Repeat.

Good luck! It's damn handy tool.

DigiCorn

I've also placed spreads in Preps, but shoved them over to get 1-up pages. Your math needs to be perfect.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway