Transparencies again. How do you guys deal with them?

Started by AaronH, April 25, 2018, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 26, 2018, 01:40:54 PM
Quote from: Joe on April 26, 2018, 01:17:47 PM
Quote from: Tracy on April 26, 2018, 01:11:00 PMso Joe, How do you set the Pdf file to be same as source?
I always print to CW as same as source, think we might be getting somewhere here! :smiley:

In the printing dialog click the 'Advanced' button. The click Color Management in the left column. I was have it set 'Same as Source' as I don't Acrobat or the print driver to do any color management. If this is in relation to your spot colors not looking good I don't think there is much that can be done about it. Printing spots on a CMYK device is always going to be a 'close enough' scenario. We usually try to change them to CMYK before we send to the Fiery because the Fiery does some strange stuff trying to convert spots to cmyk.
That's the exact issue with color I am describing.

Only spots? If so, yeah the Fiery jumps all over the place with spots. That is why we usually convert them in Indy or in Pitstop before they go to the Fiery.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on April 26, 2018, 01:17:47 PM
Quote from: Tracy on April 26, 2018, 01:11:00 PMso Joe, How do you set the Pdf file to be same as source?
I always print to CW as same as source, think we might be getting somewhere here! :smiley:

In the printing dialog click the 'Advanced' button. The click Color Management in the left column. I was have it set 'Same as Source' as I don't Acrobat or the print driver to do any color management. If this is in relation to your spot colors not looking good I don't think there is much that can be done about it. Printing spots on a CMYK device is always going to be a 'close enough' scenario. We usually try to change them to CMYK before we send to the Fiery because the Fiery does some strange stuff trying to convert spots to cmyk.
I always have same as source selected, Lately I have been thinking about converting all spots to process for copier
to remove any variance, I had to color match something and I noticed a huge difference in certain spot colors.
Oddly enough when printing to the Xante, I use Acrobat Color management, but that is a mystery for another day.
The Spot color differences can be in coated spots vs uncoated. Just need a few hours with the machine to get it figured out
but there is a copier operator, so I don't get much time with it.
I am thinking converting to CMYK is the way to go.

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 26, 2018, 02:20:20 PMI always have same as source selected, Lately I have been thinking about converting all spots to process for copier
to remove any variance, I had to color match something and I noticed a huge difference in certain spot colors.
Oddly enough when printing to the Xante, I use Acrobat Color management, but that is a mystery for another day.
The Spot color differences can be in coated spots vs uncoated. Just need a few hours with the machine to get it figured out
but there is a copier operator, so I don't get much time with it.
I am thinking converting to CMYK is the way to go.

And 9 times out of 10 the designer picks from various pantone libraries. Pitstop 2018 is very good at 1) converting all of those libraries with the same number into the correct one. You can convert all of the uncoated to coated for example and then 2) convert to CMYK with Pitstop. Homerun.

If you let CWS convert them it will try to convert to whatever library they came from and they can vary.

Tracy

I saw the webinar on the spots-super duper
I haven't installed my 2018 tho, that is going to be awesome!
too busy right now, Plus hoping to get the license key before I do.

Joe

Yeah I'm still waiting on that too and Matt Beals ain't answering about 'where is my product key'? :rotf: