Would you recommend?

Started by wrenchmaster, September 07, 2011, 06:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on October 12, 2011, 11:20:31 AMI think he already knows how, it's just a question of tiff licenses vs # of devices and the configuration of the package, as he himself stated earlier in the thread.

Here are a couple of screenshots from my configuration. I have, basically, 2 tiff export licenses. One is for the platesetter, the other is for the spinjet. You can see by the settings that I am exporting tiffs to these devices. However, much like m2r, I am sending non-raster PDFs to an EFI Colorproof Rip for my Epson.

So because of licensing you can only send a 32-bit tif to the spinjet and nowhere else? That seems a bit restrictive if so.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Quote from: Joe on October 12, 2011, 11:28:07 AM
Quote from: Earendil on October 12, 2011, 11:20:31 AMI think he already knows how, it's just a question of tiff licenses vs # of devices and the configuration of the package, as he himself stated earlier in the thread.

Here are a couple of screenshots from my configuration. I have, basically, 2 tiff export licenses. One is for the platesetter, the other is for the spinjet. You can see by the settings that I am exporting tiffs to these devices. However, much like m2r, I am sending non-raster PDFs to an EFI Colorproof Rip for my Epson.

So because of licensing you can only send a 32-bit tif to the spinjet and nowhere else? That seems a bit restrictive if so.

Apparently so. I agree, it does seem restrictive. Same with the 1-bit tiff I send to Raster Blaster. I grilled the guy who installed the workflow about this stuff for a couple of reasons and still not sure I completely believe him, just haven't had a chance to try to fake it out.

The 32 bit tiff is being created in XMF... it is a set of separated plate tiffs that are remerged to a composite then descreened for the proofer.

One of the reasons I asked him is that we were thinking of putting another platesetter in and running both it and the one we are currently running. According to Xitron, I would need to purchase another Raster Blaster along with another tiff export license for the other platesetter. In my head, I'm wondering if this is bullshit... why couldn't I just change hotfolder dumps and send to whichever RB I wanted. I do agree that I would need 2 Raster Blasters but I don't think it cares about the tiffs once they have been exported.

All of this makes me think that maybe I can redirect a 32 bit tiff to the EFI and that they are feeding me a line to sell more licenses. Maybe I'll try this afternoon when I get a chance.  :toaster:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on October 12, 2011, 11:36:03 AMApparently so. I agree, it does seem restrictive. Same with the 1-bit tiff I send to Raster Blaster. I grilled the guy who installed the workflow about this stuff for a couple of reasons and still not sure I completely believe him, just haven't had a chance to try to fake it out.

The 32 bit tiff is being created in XMF... it is a set of separated plate tiffs that are remerged to a composite then descreened for the proofer.

One of the reasons I asked him is that we were thinking of putting another platesetter in and running both it and the one we are currently running. According to Xitron, I would need to purchase another Raster Blaster along with another tiff export license for the other platesetter. In my head, I'm wondering if this is bullshit... why couldn't I just change hotfolder dumps and send to whichever RB I wanted. I do agree that I would need 2 Raster Blasters but I don't think it cares about the tiffs once they have been exported.

All of this makes me think that maybe I can redirect a 32 bit tiff to the EFI and that they are feeding me a line to sell more licenses. Maybe I'll try this afternoon when I get a chance.  :toaster:

That is how it is here with Prinergy. I can redirect the one-bit tiffs or 32-bit tiffs/jpegs to any location that I please and then use them there.

Ear

Quote from: Joe on October 12, 2011, 11:42:04 AM
Quote from: Earendil on October 12, 2011, 11:36:03 AMApparently so. I agree, it does seem restrictive. Same with the 1-bit tiff I send to Raster Blaster. I grilled the guy who installed the workflow about this stuff for a couple of reasons and still not sure I completely believe him, just haven't had a chance to try to fake it out.

That is how it is here with Prinergy. I can redirect the one-bit tiffs or 32-bit tiffs/jpegs to any location that I please and then use them there.

hmmm... there's no reason I shouldn't be able to, right? This sounds like a plot by The Man; To keep a brother down.  :ninja2: This afternoon, I will fight the power and reclaim my tiffs.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on October 12, 2011, 11:45:01 AM
Quote from: Joe on October 12, 2011, 11:42:04 AM

hmmm... there's no reason I shouldn't be able to, right? This sounds like a plot by The Man; To keep a brother down.  :ninja2: This afternoon, I will fight the power and reclaim my tiffs.

Right on brother. Stick it to the man! :hello:

Ear

Will you guys help me post bail or at least fondly remember me if the Men in CMYK come and take me away for runnin' illegal tiff-shine across the ethernet boarder?

m2r

It seems everyone needs the same basic setup for a reliable workflow, I just wonder why that is not included in a standard XMF install?
I only come here when I hate my job.

m2r

QuoteWill you guys help me post bail or at least fondly remember me if the Men in CMYK come and take me away for runnin' illegal tiff-shine across the ethernet boarder?
LOL

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on October 12, 2011, 11:50:35 AMWill you guys help me post bail or at least fondly remember me if the Men in CMYK come and take me away for runnin' illegal tiff-shine across the ethernet boarder?

I don't have any money but I can bake a hacksaw into a cake.

m2r

One thing that we have not been able to overcome in XMF is teaching the 2nd and 3rd shift Pressman to remake failed plates.

Joe

That is not an XMF issue. That is a pressmen problem. We have the same issue with our Prinergy/Luscher setup. :laugh:

Ear

Hell, I have that problem with some "prepress" people.  :rolleyes: :banghead:

Fortunately, our lead pressman is not your typical pressman. Yes, he likes the hooch, but he is very smart and also plays with Macs as his hobby. Very computer savvy guy and a serious Halo teammate. Also a hardcore kite-surfer... much respect for the inky-armed Scot.

Ear

Quote from: m2r on October 12, 2011, 11:53:10 AMIt seems everyone needs the same basic setup for a reliable workflow, I just wonder why that is not included in a standard XMF install?

That's just it. "Standard". It's all about $$$. I get the feeling they like to try to sell features and additional licenses that should be part of the "standard". They blamed it on those who issue the licenses... playing the good cop. I know install techs that will whisper secret workarounds that they should charge for... the guy who did my Sierra was very cool but didn't drift from his training and company policies. Oh well, that's why we hang out on the b4p, back me up!

Ear

Alright, test concluded and successful. I need to type quickly as there is now a process colored sedan with varnished windows parked out front.  :sad:

Yes... after changing a couple of settings in my spinjet tiff export, I was able to redirect the 32bit, CMYK descreened tiff to my EFI queue. I chose a job that I had already run a PDF Epson on, for sake of comparison. You can definitely tell the spinjet tiff from the PDF... it is a little softer and not nearly as crisp, due to the descreen. This is good because it helps me see that it is a genuine plate proof. The only downside is that the color shifted a little. I am going to look into this further to see if I can make more adjustments but for now, it's good to know the people who sell it are full of shit about needing a license for tiffs on each proofing device.

m2r... you can try this if you'd like. It's a pretty easy switch, as long as you have one composite CMYK tiff export already in place. This will not work with 1-bit mono plate tiffs.

If you are sending to an impo-proofer: add the impo proof stage (in my case the Spinjet). Click the proof stage and select Device Parameters (second icon from the left). Click the "browse" button under File Details>Save In Folder. Browse to your color proof hotfolder and select it. That is all. You can now rip your job and when you send the proof, it should come out on the other printer. This change will only affect the current job you are working on. to change it permanently, you will have to open the Administrator panel and modify the default. I am not going to modify my spinjet but instead add it to my spinjet queues (sheetwise, W&T, Single Sided, etc...) as "Epson Plate Proof". This way, I am not messing anything up.

Let me know if you need any help with this.

m2r

Hard to tell, but are you using a ROOM Proof option?
I was told that is not available here in the US.