XMF Hardware/Software has arrived

Started by Joe, September 24, 2013, 04:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikie

gotya Joe, we run an indesign server with INDD templates. csr's, customers build their jobs using a web interface. It basically outputs an input PDF and creates the INDD document. Nothing too fancy, But it also exports an xml file that tells prinergy what to do with these files.  What volume to create the job on, how to refine and what impositions to use. That is where I think I am stuck with prinergy. well, "they", i can move along any day now lol

good luck man let us know how the install goes. I have used Fuji in years passed and they are pretty decent with their support etc.

Farabomb

I await the real world use of this. We have prinergy EVO here, no automation and a sore ass from the "service" we have to pay for. I may know more about this system than the kodak techs. It's the only install that has the proffer RIP and the plate RIP in one box. They are clueless and have never fixed it correctly since the install. I have to restart a service just to get the proofer to work.

If XMF works in the real world I'd happily make the switch. I just need to hear it from those I trust on here. Fuck the salesmen. So far, everyone here that is using it seems to have little issue.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on September 26, 2013, 07:23:04 AMI await the real world use of this. We have prinergy EVO here, no automation and a sore ass from the "service" we have to pay for. I may know more about this system than the kodak techs. It's the only install that has the proffer RIP and the plate RIP in one box. They are clueless and have never fixed it correctly since the install. I have to restart a service just to get the proofer to work.

If XMF works in the real world I'd happily make the switch. I just need to hear it from those I trust on here. Fuck the salesmen. So far, everyone here that is using it seems to have little issue.

Looks like our install will happen the week of 10/7 or 10/14. Probably 10/14. Will be reporting back for sure.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

biggsie7

Quote from: Farabomb on September 26, 2013, 07:23:04 AMI await the real world use of this. We have prinergy EVO here, no automation and a sore ass from the "service" we have to pay for. I may know more about this system than the kodak techs. It's the only install that has the proffer RIP and the plate RIP in one box. They are clueless and have never fixed it correctly since the install. I have to restart a service just to get the proofer to work.

Hi Farabomb,  I have used XMF in Prepress, officially supported and trained XMF customers with Fujifilm, and now back using XMF in Prepress.  In all my time in the industry this is definitely the best RIP I have used and it is constantly being improved.  XMF v5.5 (not officially released yet) has been rebuilt using an SQL database and all reports are that it will be even faster and even more flexible. 
Hello IT, Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Joe

Quote from: biggsie7 on September 26, 2013, 03:04:08 PM

Hi Farabomb,  I have used XMF in Prepress, officially supported and trained XMF customers with Fujifilm, and now back using XMF in Prepress.  In all my time in the industry this is definitely the best RIP I have used and it is constantly being improved.  XMF v5.5 (not officially released yet) has been rebuilt using an SQL database and all reports are that it will be even faster and even more flexible.

When is 5.5 going to be released? I just looked at our software box and it ver. 5.0.

biggsie7

Quote from: Joe on September 26, 2013, 03:09:55 PM
Quote from: biggsie7 on September 26, 2013, 03:04:08 PM

When is 5.5 going to be released? I just looked at our software box and it ver. 5.0.

Closer to years end I think.  Currently under beta testing and a couple of Aus/NZ techs have been trained in Japan but not sure when they will release it.  I've asked to be a guinea pig..... (if i'm still in the game) stay tuned.   v5.5 should be a free upgrade under yout AML (Annual Maintenance Licence)
Hello IT, Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Joe

Yes, ALL upgrades are covered under our support plan.

Diddler

I have to agree with Biggsie7, XMF is by far the best bit of 'real world' prepress software I have ever used. IMHO nothing comes close.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Quote from: Joe on September 26, 2013, 03:57:07 PMYes, ALL upgrades are covered under our support plan.

Sometimes hard explaining to powers-that-be as to why this is necessary. If you're standing still you're going backwards.    :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

Anybody want to buy a Kodak Prinergy EVO system?  :laugh:

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

no thanks, I have plenty of them around here...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on September 27, 2013, 06:16:23 AMAnybody want to buy a Kodak Prinergy EVO system?  :laugh:

Don't sell. If you get a new workflow like XMF they will give you some cash off of the price for your old EVO dongle.

Farabomb

I know that, Kodak did that when we switched from AGFA.

Anybody want a AGFA RIP too? still have the dongle for that one too.  :dev2:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gdog05

Is your install happening this week? Been excited for an update.

Joe

Nope. Not until the week of Nov. 11.