News:

Main Menu

Looking at XMF

Started by pabney, February 03, 2014, 01:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabney

Hello group,
I just joined to ask about moving to XMF. I currently run Screen/Equios workflow and considering moving to XMF instead of upgrading the Screen system. Has anyone here moved from Screen to XMF, if so what are your thoughts.

I would also love to get my hands on a digital copy of the user manual. If anyone would like to share.

Thanks
Paul

frailer

Should be able to do something about a digital manual. Know nothing about your Screen workflow. Is it the APPE version of Flatworker?
Maybe describe your work setup? Multi-webs, like Joe here? Or a tin shed, with 2 komoris, like us?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

I have manuals too, but I'm still trying to figure this thing out
not sure which manual to give you at this point
I will upload if Frailer doesn't already have one for you

pabney

Frailer,
No webs here, but we are not exactly a tin shed either. We currently have 4 Heidelberg presses: SM 102 6 color with coater, SM 74 6 color with coater, SM 74 5 color perfect, SM 52 4 color along with a PrintMaster 46 and a GTO that we do some small stuff on. No in house files, everything is supplied. We are using a Screen PTR8600 platesetter with 3 drawer autoloader. (Wish I could find the hardware for the other 2 drawers) and Fuji LH-PJ plates with inline developer and stacker. Old Oris software runs our color proofs and a spinjet handles our impo proofs.

Trueflow/Equios is Screens PDF rip. Not sure if it is true APPE though. I seem to have trapping issues, that don't happen on any other APPE that I have sent test files to. That is one of the reasons that I am looking at XMF. We don't use flatworker. All imposition is done in the rip which is what Screen calls Equios. I don't have a big problem with the imposition part, but I hate the trapping problems I am having.

As for XMF, I have looked at this and any other site, as well as some videos that my dealer sent me. I also had a quick webinar showing some of the features. I am impressed so far and would like to recommend it, but would also like to read over the user manual, or any other manual that I can get my hand on. I am one of those rare people that learn by reading as well as hands on, so I am just looking for anything to help me absorb this workflow.

Thanks guys for the help
Paul

frailer

PM on the way...
Sounds like it would work for you. Integrated impo is good/flexible. Certainly been enhanced since new. Not yet up to maturity against Prinergy. Joe here was testing but it couldn't handle their multi-web stuff adequately, or as well as Prinergy. Plus XMF's web-approval stuff was found a bit lacking as well.
Rendering? narry an issue. I honestly can't think of an occasion when it's let us down vis-a-vis Flattening. Well once or twice, but rare. It's about to move to 64-bit. We will be facing a server-box upgrade. Make sure you cover that aspect with them. It may affect your proofing too. We use Black Magic, which works seamlessly with XMF, but we're looking at a BM upgrade to 64-bit as well. Can't wait to break that news internally.   :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

I'll chime in with any APPE workflow is worth the money as long as the impo system works for you. I'm running Prinergy EVO here and since we got it most of the strangeness that PDFs would cause has gone away.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job