Example please how to use auto page mapping in XMF?

Started by Lyzan, July 16, 2014, 12:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Yep, in that case, I think your way is the best of the 3 ways I know to do what you need done.

Although based upon XMF, I am actually using the Xitron Sierra, so that might account for the look. Also, I am not on the newest version. I think I'm using v4.1, which came out a little over a year ago.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Lyzan

Hey guys,

Thanks. I am in XMF 5.5. It has an auto page mapping where you will create a template regarding filename rules. Then either by using a drop folder or add in page mapping, the template will map all the pages in its proper place in the pagination. I'm in my place now so I can't get a screen shot. The template is called auto page mapping template.

Anyway, I had a little success this late afternoon. I think tomorrow I will be able to nail it.

//Lyzan

Lyzan

Quote from: Earendil on July 16, 2014, 10:37:33 AMI hit this up again in your thread about gutters because after viewing your screenshot, it looks like you're doing it the hard way, the Preps way.

Took me a little bit to learn to trust the XMF auto paginate, being a die-hard preps junkie. Once you accept what it can do, it is a LOT faster than working in Preps (non native). I have a handful of base stripping templates and just make minor modifications, then copy>flow pages (auto map, as you call it) and it takes care of the rest. Just make sure gutters and marks, etc.. are set the way you want on the first sig, before you copy and flow. It will duplicate everything and adjust page numbers based on how you have the assembly sections set (Saddle stitch, Perfect Bound, Flat Work). It also does a great job with traveling spine indicators for perfect bound.

I know about flow pages. In XMF 5.5, there is an alternative to "automatically flow pages" option. It is called auto page mapping using filename rule via auto page mapping template. If I will be able to nail this (hope tomorrow), it's a big help because I would simply setup a drop folder, and all pages shall use the filename as per template rules. Assuming all the pages passed the page preparation, all pairings will go directly to plates.

//Lyzan

Ear

Right, Sierra has the auto feature and I have messed with it.

I'm all for automation, to a point. I'm down to a one-man prepress (5 tray autoloader Luxel T9000 platesetter, etc...) and am a little worried that if I set up drop-folder auto impo, I might just automate myself right out of a job. I'm lazy but not stupid.  :laugh:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Lyzan

:laugh: You're right. But it's part of my role to automate things up. And newspaper really need to be automated. Actually we have newspaper workflow which is 8-year old. And since XMF can do multi web imposition, my job to create a setup to run parallel to our current workflow.

Lot of things to do, after I figure the auto page mapping, next will be setting up the plate marks for bending machine, press auto reg camera, and ink presetting.

//Lyzan

Quote from: Earendil on July 16, 2014, 02:09:26 PMRight, Sierra has the auto feature and I have messed with it.

I'm all for automation, to a point. I'm down to a one-man prepress (5 tray autoloader Luxel T9000 platesetter, etc...) and am a little worried that if I set up drop-folder auto impo, I might just automate myself right out of a job. I'm lazy but not stupid.  :laugh:

Ear

Indeed. I am kind of joking. I do use hot folders and automation for a lot of our newspaper work, since the turnaround time is within hours.

The Sheetfed and Heatset work I like to stay more hands-on with, since it is higher quality.

It is nice that you can save marks and slugline templates. I use auto reg diamonds too but do not have ink presets on our presses.

Sounds like you have a good grasp of what you need to do. I find the workflow to be versatile in the right hands. A fair amount of trial and error and a lot of tinkering around. You just can't be afraid to break it. Curiosity is a good thing.

Diddler

I have just stumbled on a way to NEARLY have full automation. Not full but very close to it, I even spoke with my Fuji rep and he was unaware of it.

OK this is the only catch. You must of used the imposition previously for another job. Once the job is imposed and done, goto Job Workflow Manager (right click) and 'Save Set' (add your set name).

Now when you have a job that is the same amount of pages/layout etc.
Start a new job as normal, go to Job Workflow Manager and 'Load Set' (choose the one you named). This will create a new Workflow that matches your previous job EXACTLY. All you have to do then is simply Delete the Original Workflow_1 and save/complete the job.

Job Done!

I haven't found any problems with it so far. Anybody else use this way or am I just behind the times? :old:
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Lyzan

I already figured out how to use auto page mapping.

Auto page mapping is about creating input filename rules that will automatically flow to a defined job template. Great for web imposition.

Lyzan

Quote from: Diddler on August 14, 2014, 07:44:45 PMI have just stumbled on a way to NEARLY have full automation. Not full but very close to it, I even spoke with my Fuji rep and he was unaware of it.

OK this is the only catch. You must of used the imposition previously for another job. Once the job is imposed and done, goto Job Workflow Manager (right click) and 'Save Set' (add your set name).

Start a new job as normal, go to Job Workflow Manager and 'Load Set' (choose the one you named). This will create a new Workflow that matches your previous job EXACTLY. All you have to do then is simply Delete the Original Workflow_1 and save/complete the job.

Job Done!

I haven't found any problems with it so far. Anybody else use this way or am I just behind the times? :old:

Why not just create a job template with automatic page flow parameters?

//Lyzan

frailer

Just as an aside, from an earlier post, I tend to use (mostly), the thumbnail listing for plate release. List view/dropdown is good for seeing %age progress, but thumbnails are great for seeing colour/mono at a glance.
Grandma sucking eggs? Probably....   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Quote from: Diddler on August 14, 2014, 07:44:45 PMI have just stumbled on a way to NEARLY have full automation. Not full but very close to it, I even spoke with my Fuji rep and he was unaware of it.

Job Done!

New to me, but that's no surprise..---->   :old:  Am gonna use that a bit. We have about a dozen repeat jobs where I could use that. I like.    :cool:

Betcha Chris Biggs woulda know about it...    :laugh:  Fujifilm's loss. And ours.       :sad:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Tracy

Hey Diddler!
I'm not seeing how you save set
can you go thru that again?
Thanks!

Diddler

Hey Tracey, its just a right click in the Job Workflow Manager window after you have imposed the job. Save it as a Workflow Set.

Next time you need the Exact same type of imposition in a new job just load the Set back in with a right click again in Workflow (it will be called what you named it) and delete original Workflow_1.

You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

You literally (R) click on the tab type itself, Tracy. Weird, but...
As in Diddler's shot.
We are using this already.   :cheesy:

Lyzan

Quote from: frailer on August 24, 2014, 07:29:52 PMJust as an aside, from an earlier post, I tend to use (mostly), the thumbnail listing for plate release. List view/dropdown is good for seeing %age progress, but thumbnails are great for seeing colour/mono at a glance.
Grandma sucking eggs? Probably....   :undecided:

Is there a way to increase the resolution of the thumbnails?

//Lyzan