Do you print pagination dummy from XMF? How do you do it?

Started by Lyzan, August 26, 2014, 02:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyzan

Hey guys,

Do you print your XMF page imposition into an A3 desktop printer for quick printing/folding guide in the post press? If yes, how do you do it in XMF?

//Lyzan

Ear

Nope, I'm printing descreened, ROOM proofs, full paginated, 2-sided press sheets to a Spinjet proofer. Full sized.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

I have printed the screen to check, also if there are no page numbers
I print it out to label my proof, I was trying to figure that out too!

Ear

Tracy, in absence of page numbers, you can use the Blind Folio feature. Bindery loves me for the use of blind folios.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Diddler

Quote from: Lyzan on August 26, 2014, 02:17:18 AMHey guys,

Do you print your XMF page imposition into an A3 desktop printer for quick printing/folding guide in the post press? If yes, how do you do it in XMF?

//Lyzan

I print full size mockups and Hi Res Proofs on an Epson 9800/9900 using 3rd party Serendipty Blackmagic software for colour control.
Also agree with Ear, Blind Folios on every page has saved the day before.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

We would be dead without Blind Folios. They added extra positioning after we hounded them on it. Tool with combos of 'Placement'/'Position' until you get them where you want.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Lyzan

I am using PDF Export to print in our desktop printer, proof on Epson4900, and make plates to our old CTP via its RIP.

Lyzan

I am intrigue by the ROOM workflow item. I want to know if it is possible to use it via OS printer driver, or do I need a license for device driver for Windows for example.

//Lyzan

Farabomb

Hmmm, I have to check Prinergy to see if they have a blind folio option. Would lessen my talks with bindery about page numbering.

Not that he can count above 10.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Quote from: Ear on August 26, 2014, 03:44:13 PMTracy, in absence of page numbers, you can use the Blind Folio feature. Bindery loves me for the use of blind folios.
I use it occasionally but a lot of my jobs only have an 1/8 1/8 gutter the page number doesn't really fit
does it?

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on August 27, 2014, 07:24:25 AMHmmm, I have to check Prinergy to see if they have a blind folio option. Would lessen my talks with bindery about page numbering.

Not that he can count above 10.

Yes Preps does have the blind folio option though I think they just call it page numbers. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Quote from: Tracy on August 27, 2014, 10:29:05 AM
Quote from: Ear on August 26, 2014, 03:44:13 PMTracy, in absence of page numbers, you can use the Blind Folio feature. Bindery loves me for the use of blind folios.
I use it occasionally but a lot of my jobs only have an 1/8 1/8 gutter the page number doesn't really fit
does it?

hmmm... good point. You can put them where you want: head, face, foot, etc.. usually there is room somewhere to stick a little page number.

Ear

Quote from: Lyzan on August 27, 2014, 01:51:28 AMI am intrigue by the ROOM workflow item. I want to know if it is possible to use it via OS printer driver, or do I need a license for device driver for Windows for example.

//Lyzan

ROOM = Render Once, Output Many. As opposed to NORM = Normalize Once, Render Many.

In my case, I do have a license for the ROOM tiffs. Basically, the RIP renders the 1-bit plate tiffs, then it merges them back together and exports a composite tiff to a hot folder for my Spinjet RIP to pick up. The Spinjet RIP then descreens the tiff and prints it to an HP5500 Designjet (Spinjet). I leave it desaturated to ensure it is not confused with a color-accurate proof. It is a bulletproof content proof, since it is using the actual plate tiffs. Digital blueline. It prints 2-sided, I then fold the proofs and trim them appropriately.

For color proofs, I'm exporting imposed PDFs, unrendered, and sending them to an EFI Colorproof to print on a Epson 9900 SpectroProofer. It is mostly content accurate but I have seen it output differently than the ripped plate files (rare occurrence).

Farabomb

Quote from: Ear on August 27, 2014, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: Tracy on August 27, 2014, 10:29:05 AM
does it?

hmmm... good point. You can put them where you want: head, face, foot, etc.. usually there is room somewhere to stick a little page number.

I would figure centered at the foot .125 from trim would work in 95% of the work we do here.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job