News:

Main Menu

Font Embedding issues

Started by AaronH, March 28, 2019, 05:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

I can't get a customer's files to load into XMF. I keep getting this error, see screenshot. I've tried everything, and I can't even get it to convert to outlines in pitstop. I'm stumped and this customer has a kajillion maps on order and due on Tuesday.

I have tried Flattening in Acrobat and converting to outlines that way, but no luck, it did goofy things to fonts.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Diddler

In XMF, try turning off "Fail Font embedding" and turn on "Use Font Emulations" See if you can get that to give you a workaround.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Joe

If you are using Acrobat DC try unzipping the attached zip file and importing the preflight profile and run it on the file. It usually does outline problem fonts.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately these fonts don't like that preflight profile too much.

Diddler I'll see if I can find those options in XMF.

AaronH

Quote from: Diddler on March 28, 2019, 06:23:47 PMIn XMF, try turning off "Fail Font embedding" and turn on "Use Font Emulations" See if you can get that to give you a workaround.

Darn this still didn't work.

Is it possible to install fonts on the XMF box? Just curious. I have some of the fonts installed on my computer, but Acrobat fails to see that they're there. Same with InDesign.

Tracy

Can you get the customer to outline the fonts?
I know "they" don't like to ask the customer for anything
but this seems like a real problem, I bet it's the fonts.

what happens if you try to embed fonts, does it tell you, you can't?

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on March 29, 2019, 09:37:38 AM
Quote from: Diddler on March 28, 2019, 06:23:47 PMIn XMF, try turning off "Fail Font embedding" and turn on "Use Font Emulations" See if you can get that to give you a workaround.

Darn this still didn't work.

Is it possible to install fonts on the XMF box? Just curious. I have some of the fonts installed on my computer, but Acrobat fails to see that they're there. Same with InDesign.

Try putting them in the folder "Macintosh HD/⁨Users⁩ ▸ ~⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe⁩ ▸ ⁨Fonts" and see if Acrobat or InDesign sees them.

AaronH

Yeah Acrobat tells you it can't due to licensing restrictions. Same with InDesign. They sent me natives with all the fonts but I was still having issues. I ended up using the PDF they originally sent, opened it in Illustrator and outlined there no problem. I'm not sure what the issue is with the other programs not letting you do it. I don't know, but we'll see what the customer says about his new proof. Then hopefully he'll upload the rest of the files once they're approved on his end.

Joe

You can probably do it with Pitstop if you run the action 'Font Licensing' and it flags those fonts for the licensing issues. You have to make sure the the action is set 'Show Results' to 'Always' though to actually see the results. When that happens you can click on the missing fonts  in the results dialog which will select them and then in Inspector click on the 'Convert Text to Outlines' menu option. This almost always works but the only way you can select them all at once is if the action flags the fonts.

AaronH

Very interesting. I don't have that action setup. What do I need to do to get that one setup?

Select All and then what do I do?

Joe

This is the whole action. :D

AaronH

Cool! I'll give it a try! Thanks Joe!

Joe

One modification you may want to make to the action list is to change Select All to just select the fonts you are having issues with. I haven't actually done that so not sure if that will work or not.

frailer

Only brought all this in-house in '04, so late starters. Appears to me that we've gone from wrangling fonts in Quack, Indy, (I finally settled on Font Explorer, which I really like..hate Suitcase), fading to a sweet period when PDF workflows came in, through to Ad*be getting all Stasi about licensing again. Am I imagining this?
It's as though the change to APPE was rapid and they've only just put the police back in place properly.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

EyeTech

Try adding a watermark in Acrobat Pro,

Open the PDF file in Acrobat.
Click Tools and click Pages.
Click Watermark and select Add Watermark.
The Add Watermark window opens.
Type a period (or any other character) in the Text text box.
Drag the Opacity slider to 0%
Save the file (as a copy)

'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page