News:

Main Menu

Gigabit switches

Started by frailer, May 28, 2017, 10:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Sparse? That's an understatement.  :o
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mwc

I have a few of these, and would buy again.... (for an unmanaged solution)

NETGEAR JGS524NA

https://www.amazon.com/JGS524NA-Ethernet-Rackmount-Replacement-Unmanaged/dp/B0002CWPW2

Farabomb

Pretty sure that's the exact one I have running prepress.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 31, 2017, 11:14:52 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on May 31, 2017, 05:58:39 AMDamn, 16 ports go for $50 here. Australia wants to kill you and make you broke.  :o
Really? I bought a Netgear 4-port a few years back and it ran me something like $35. I have no use currently for a 16 port, unless I want to run new hardlines for my whole house, but I'd get one if they were just $50.

I have my router with 4 ports, and then a 2nd router, which I may later configure as an AP with 4 more ports... they are on the far side of the house. I ran hardline off two ports almost 100 feet to reach the living room and garage... yeah... my house is 2000 sq. ft. on an almost 15000 sq ft. plot. The garage and where the modem is is basically the two furthest points. I spend a lot of time in the garage - I can do what the fuck I want and no one bothers me. That's why it's where the bar is.
...quite the man-den. Impressive. You work commute in that vehicle?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Got the new gigabit switch unboxed, but no hurry as everything else delayed, including head office IT guy away until Weds next week.
Our 'setter's not due for a few weeks yet, so no XMF/Black Magic upgrade until then.

My question: I have both a Cat6 short lead, as well as a Cat5E UTP patch cord. Which should I be using to connect Switch A to Switch B? We're thinking the patch cord, as they're wired differently on each plug. Or are they for connecting computer-to-computer?

Oh, also, can we by-pass the Apple ID stage when starting up the iMac, and return and fill it in later, or should we just put it off till IT can advise on the company policy, (ID?), on this? Concern is having to phone Help in Mindanao City cos we're locked out when we go to 'register'. Big Bro rules....

.... compadre is watching a youtube on this, being done by a very conservative looking 40ish woamn who looks like she just left a Bible class in suburban St Cloud. I only use that as a locale as we're in the midst of current Fargo watching at home.
.... nup, she by-passed that bit. 
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Most switches these days are auto-sensing I believe so they will work with whatever you plug in there. But just for kicks I would use the CAT6 cable to connect the switches.

You can create your Mac account and skip the Apple ID part. I do that all the time. I don't want an account tied to a Mac for iCloud so I only use an Apple ID later for the App Store which is where updates come from.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on June 13, 2017, 10:50:52 PMMost switches these days are auto-sensing I believe so they will work with whatever you plug in there. But just for kicks I would use the CAT6 cable to connect the switches.

You can create your Mac account and skip the Apple ID part. I do that all the time. I don't want an account tied to a Mac for iCloud so I only use an Apple ID later for the App Store which is where updates come from.
Sooo... either of us here could, later, use our individual Apple IDs to download updates for the work machines?

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 13, 2017, 10:59:51 PM
Quote from: Joe on June 13, 2017, 10:50:52 PMMost switches these days are auto-sensing I believe so they will work with whatever you plug in there. But just for kicks I would use the CAT6 cable to connect the switches.

Sooo... either of us here could, later, use our individual Apple IDs to download updates for the work machines?
Yes. Keep in mind that apple wants your account tied to a credit card. You can create an Apple ID that is not tied to a credit card if you work at it though. I do not want my CC info on a work computer. I created a generic Apple ID at work with no CC info and use it for updates for all Macs. One login for updates on all machines that way.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer