OS 10.5.8 taking 15 minutes to boot up

Started by gnubler, September 14, 2010, 08:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Problem has been intermittent for the past couple of weeks, Mac boots up, reaches white screen with Apple logo & progress dial, and just sits there. The worst it's been has been 1-2 minutes to boot, but this morning it took a full 15 minutes. I switched over to the PC and was looking up solutions online when it finally came to life.

Similar to Joe's issue here: https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=5160.0

But this is an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz running 10.5.8...should I try some of the same suggestions listed in that thread?

Thanks.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

The G4 in that thread would never boot. I let it sit at the blue screen for 3 hours. I would try the usual. Applejack for starters.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I ran Applejack yesterday, restarted and it *seemed* fine. This morning the computer was up and ready to go when I got to work (I have it set to power on at a certain time) but within 2 minutes the Finder started locking up, apps were pretending to launch, and lots of beachball action. Tried to restart and got stuck on the gray Apple boot screen again.

Decided to just to an archive & reinstall of the OS, so we'll see what happens next.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on September 15, 2010, 09:56:34 AMI ran Applejack yesterday, restarted and it *seemed* fine. This morning the computer was up and ready to go when I got to work (I have it set to power on at a certain time) but within 2 minutes the Finder started locking up, apps were pretending to launch, and lots of beachball action. Tried to restart and got stuck on the gray Apple boot screen again.

Decided to just to an archive & reinstall of the OS, so we'll see what happens next.

Photoshop won't work when you are done.

Joe

After the Archive & Install you will need to:

Copy the Adobe Unit Types file in the Previous System/Library/ScriptingAdditions folder to [hard disk]/Library/ScriptingAdditions.

gnubler

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on September 15, 2010, 10:05:39 AMAfter the Archive & Install you will need to:

Copy the Adobe Unit Types file in the Previous System/Library/ScriptingAdditions folder to [hard disk]/Library/ScriptingAdditions.

That is required?

Joe

It was for me and it seems to be a known issue. Photoshop complained it was missing and then immediately shuts down. Or at least it did for me. CS3 anyway. Maybe CS4 doesn't do that. If it's working I wouldn't bother with it.

gnubler

I won't then. I'm running CS4. So far, so..........good.

frailer

A bit late, since you've placed the patient under general anaesthetic already...but if you mount your Activity Monitor, what's it showing, even after the slow boot-up? Could be a 'lurker' there....   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Quote from: gnubler on September 15, 2010, 10:39:58 AMI won't then. I'm running CS4. So far, so..........good.

And not. About 4 hours after I did the archive & install Indy quit and Photoshop followed soon after. Then they refused to launch again. It was around 4:30pm at this point, so it's a gift that will be waiting for me when I get into work tomorrow.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I love coming into to system problems. Especially when I know it. I sleep so well. :sarcasm:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Half the time this Mac refuses to automatically shut down. I have it set to power off every night at 7pm after it's run a daily backup...came in today and it was still on.

At least Indy & PS are running.

pmhapp

Have you run Repair Disk or Tech Tool or Disk Warrior to make sure you don't have a HDD problem?

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on September 16, 2010, 08:11:58 AMHalf the time this Mac refuses to automatically shut down. I have it set to power off every night at 7pm after it's run a daily backup...came in today and it was still on.

At least Indy & PS are running.

I have iMacs here that if there is any kind of network glitch they will not shutdown on their own. Everyone has network drives set to mount at boot up and if for any reason one of them doesn't mount that damned machine will not be right until you force it to shut down and re-start. Check if there are any network shares being mounted at start up.