Mac Mini-Intel
1 (10%)
iMac 27" i5
1 (10%)
Mac Studio-Base Model
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

bornrd

Quote from: bornrd on June 02, 2022, 12:20:58 AMWell, that actually seems kinda fair.

Should be fine for most Graphic Design work

But WHY NO USB C
macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing in prepress but here we are

www.ruegen-druck.de | @ruegendruck

––––––––––––––––––––––
They will chop you down just to count your rings

Joe

Quote from: bornrd on June 02, 2022, 12:27:06 AMBut WHY NO USB C
Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
Front: Two USB-C ports, one SDXC card slot
Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5 mm headphone jack
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

RMPrepress

Quote from: bornrd on June 01, 2022, 12:23:41 AM
Quote from: RMPrepress on May 31, 2022, 11:25:10 AMWe use 27" NEC and BenQ monitors.
About that... could you tell me some more about which models they are, how much sRGB(or more) they cover, and their refresh rate?
Would be greatly appreciated
BenQ SW2700PT Display...https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/photographer/sw2700pt/specifications.html

NEC PA272W Display (discontinued)...https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1006641-REG/nec_pa272w_bk_multisync_pro_27_gb_r.html

Those are two monitors we like, they are excellent monitors for the money.  They are both mid-level monitors so the viewing angles are not perfect but for the money we can live with that.
They are matte finish anti-glare monitors...i don't know how prepess folks can stare at those gloss finish Apple monitors all day.
They both have calibration applications and Ben Q makes great videos on how to use the app.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

bornrd

macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

––––––––––––––––––––––

Foozball

Quote from: RMPrepress on June 02, 2022, 06:56:08 AMThey are matte finish anti-glare monitors...i don't know how prepess folks can stare at those gloss finish Apple monitors all day.
They both have calibration applications and Ben Q makes great videos on how to use the app.

Makes me miss my old double LaCie monitor setup, when I first got to the US ... :kickass:

RMPrepress

Quote from: bornrd on June 02, 2022, 07:07:35 AM
Quote from: RMPrepress on June 02, 2022, 06:56:08 AMBenQ SW2700PT Display...https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/photographer/sw2700pt/specifications.html

NEC PA272W Display (discontinued)...https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1006641-REG/nec_pa272w_bk_multisync_pro_27_gb_r.html

Thank you so so much!!
Here is one more that i highly recommend, https://www.adorama.com/bqsw270c.html

I would be checking ebay for deals on those or similar monitors.  I have even bought a couple of used ones if the condition and seller are both excellent.
I have used Adorama many times for monitors over the years as well as BandH.

Joe

Quote from: RMPrepress on June 02, 2022, 06:56:08 AMi don't know how prepess folks can stare at those gloss finish Apple monitors all day.
There hasn't been glare on the glossy iMac monitors since around the 2012 iMacs.

RMPrepress

I hear that Joe.
I just find the Matte screens to be much easier on the eyes.

Here is a good article on the long standing matte vs glossy screen debate...
https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/matte-vs--glossy-screens--which-is-better-for-you.html

In the end it's whatever you get used to using and/or prefer that matters.

Joe

I hear ya...The glare was horrendous on early iMacs and you could not view anything on it unless you were directly in front of it. Since the 2013 iMacs were released they still have the glossy glass but the actual display screen underneath the glass is not glossy and there is no glare, well there is if the computer is powered down, and you can view from the the sides as well as in front.

bornrd

Quote from: Joe on June 02, 2022, 06:02:25 AM
Quote from: bornrd on June 02, 2022, 12:27:06 AMBut WHY NO USB C
32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5 mm headphone jack
Jesus.

Things are starting to get to me.
I need a vacation soon :D

––––––––––––––––––––––

DigiCorn

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HWN5CX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this monitor for my wife to work at home with, and it's pretty awesome. Has speakers built in, too.

Specific Uses For ProductPersonal, gaming, business
Refresh Rate60 Hz
BrandBenQ
Screen Size28 Inches
Total HDMI Ports2

About this item
  • High resolution 4K monitor: 28-inch LCD TN 3840x2160 resolution
  • Eye Care comfort for extended sessions: Proprietary brightness Intelligence Adaptive technology adjusts brightness for comfortable viewing; low Blue light and zero flicker technology prevent headaches and eye strain. This eye Tech makes images easy On your eyes
  • Smooth game play: AMD Free Sync for smooth game play, eliminating tearing and broken frames; HDR technology offers greater brightness and contrast level for vivid images; 1 mms GTG; 60Hz; 10-bit displays 1. 07 billion colors
  • Get connected: HDMI, DisplayPort input for multi-device connection. VESA wall mount
  • Hear the action: built-in speakers x 2, Headphone jack
  • Integrated cable management system: neatly hides cables inside monitor stand; VESA wall mount
  • Connectivity Technology: Hdmi 2
  • 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

That is a GREAT price for that monitor.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on June 01, 2022, 06:10:07 AM
Quote from: bornrd on May 30, 2022, 11:46:21 PMShame this whole industry HAS to get mac.

Looking at a PC for my private endeavours right now, and for 3.5k you can get the best i9, 64 gig 3200 mhz ram, gih-tier geforce 3080 with 16gb of vram, water cooling....

OR you could get a quadro, or a radeon, or a ryzen, like, whatever you want.

But since the M1 is out at least the things are at decent speed
You will still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse in addition to that price. For that kind of money you can get a:

Mac Studio ($1999):

32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage

and a Studio Display ($1599)

TOTAL: $3598.00
I'd have a difficult time justifying that much for a gaming monitor for home, and I enjoy it! I like the BenQ models, had forgotten about them for some reason up until now.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Yeah I won't be spending $3,600 anytime soon for a home computer and monitor to do email and web surfing. ;D

Foozball

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 31, 2022, 11:22:13 PMFor my cybersecurity class, the M1 was not recommended because under extreme duress it overheats and shuts down when taxing the CPU. I had an M1 PowerBook Pro, but I was told unless I had an additional cooling unit to not use it. I ended up getting a refurbished Dell Latitude i5 for class. I would go with the Mac Studio M1 - it doesn't have the issues the PowerBook Pro has.
Damn I love this place ... my wife's new job started today, she's 15mins into her first meeting, her Mac just shut down with 50% battery left ...
(I read the above post last week)
Looking at her Mac, ... and yeah that new case she loves that matched the desk, THERE'S the overheat cause!

Thanks to you all for this thread! ;)