News:

Main Menu

27" iMac

Started by Joe, August 14, 2012, 10:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Finally got around to setting it up Sunday. The display is huge! It won't fit into the monitor space on my computer desk so it is moved out and it is too close to me. It's like watching the big screen TV from 6" away. :laugh: May have to take the saw to the desk.

It came with OS X 10.7 but I got a free download of OS X 10.8 so it now running Mountain Lion. No issues so far. All of my software runs it seems. I got a refurbished one with a 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Not the fastest out there but good enough.

I think I'm going to pass on putting my 120 gb SSD in it. Too much freaking trouble to add a 2nd drive without disassembling the whole thing. Thanks Apple. :sarcasm:

Still trying to get used to the small wireless keyboard without the number pad. At the moment this keyboard ranks right up there with the Apple Hockey Puck mouse. Screw you Apple for this! :death:

No Firewire 400 port for my external HD but I can use it with USB so it's not a total loss.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Greg_Firestone

Yeah, the mini keyboards stink. No number pads on the right...

Have fun with the 27" display!

David

you got the exact same one as me.
It is FRIGGEN huge!
I told you about the size...  for me, it makes all the windows huge, but all the text is teeny tiny in comparison. Makes it hard to read, so it's a good thing to be 6" away.  hahaha!

and, I also have the short keyboard, but I'm thinking of changing to the larger one with the keypad on the side.
No firewire, I found that out when I went to use the Migration Assistant to transfer files from my ole G4... and you do not want to know the price for a Firewire to Thunderbolt cable  :shocked:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on August 14, 2012, 11:24:48 AMyou got the exact same one as me.
It is FRIGGEN huge!
I told you about the size...  for me, it makes all the windows huge, but all the text is teeny tiny in comparison. Makes it hard to read, so it's a good thing to be 6" away.  hahaha!

and, I also have the short keyboard, but I'm thinking of changing to the larger one with the keypad on the side.
No firewire, I found that out when I went to use the Migration Assistant to transfer files from my ole G4... and you do not want to know the price for a Firewire to Thunderbolt cable  :shocked:

Yeah, that firewire drive is an old IDE drive in firewire case. Would be better off to get a Firewire 800 external and be done with it. I would like to get a Thunderbolt external once they get cheaper than the latest trip to Mars. :sarcasm:

David

yepper, them thunderbolts is kinda high...

I just got a LaCie Porsche 1TB on sale for 80 bucks US, use it for my time Machine back ups

It's way cheaper than a Firewire External, and it's not too horribly slow (being USB 2.0 an' all).

eh, what are you gonna do...   :drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Funny... I have 2 of those useless mini keyboards in a drawer with a few old hockey puck mice. Apple usually gets it right but when they don't, they like to go big.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

Quote from: david on August 14, 2012, 11:58:52 AMeh, what are you gonna do...   :drunk3:

Not buy another Mac.  :hello:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on August 14, 2012, 12:44:09 PMFunny... I have 2 of those useless mini keyboards in a drawer with a few old hockey puck mice. Apple usually gets it right but when they don't, they like to go big.

I really believe they did both of them on purpose so people would have to buy the nice keyboard ($69.00) and Mouse ($69.00) separately. CA-CHING$$$$$

frailer

Despite my display snobbery, I've got used to the work one. Plus side is they're S-IPS, so viewing from wider angles no prob. Main negative is they're BRIGHT! Need to lower the brightness a lot. I've found using the grey background, if you're using stock Apple ones, is easier on the eye than the blue. Plenty of real estate. Theme from 'Oklahoma' comes to mind. Dan's probably reading this and quietly weeping.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

Quote from: Joe on August 14, 2012, 02:52:58 PM
Quote from: Earendil on August 14, 2012, 12:44:09 PMFunny... I have 2 of those useless mini keyboards in a drawer with a few old hockey puck mice. Apple usually gets it right but when they don't, they like to go big.

I really believe they did both of them on purpose so people would have to buy the nice keyboard ($69.00) and Mouse ($69.00) separately. CA-CHING$$$$$

Probably. Seriously, who can't live without a 10-key?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

NefariousDrO

I do love typing on the newer keyboards, though. The "touch" of the keys is fantastic. I'm old enough that I had learned to type on a manual (yep, not electric, but the strictly mechanical kind) typewriter. It took me years to learn not to pound the daylights out of my computer keyboards. Didn't really stop until I got these new ones. I got lucky and upgraded before they went to the mini keyboards. I hate the missing number pad, but love typing on them.

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on August 14, 2012, 03:04:28 PM

There is actually 22 keys missing. :tongue:

Ear

Quote from: Joe on August 14, 2012, 03:36:36 PM
Quote from: Earendil on August 14, 2012, 03:04:28 PM

There is actually 22 keys missing. :tongue:

Ya, but I don't care about the other 12.  :laugh:

Joe

I'm addicted to F16 thru F19. :cry:

Ear