Special Queues on a DC260

Started by Slappy, March 24, 2015, 08:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

We've been tasked with jobs that used to belong to the CSRs & shipping department, namely running Proof Slips for jobs and addressing envelopes for said proofs. I've set up a few Presets on our little DC260 and even managed to get it to feed 10x13 Booklets (miracle!) but right now I have to:

1. Make a PDF for both parts
2. Drag them to the Command Workstation
3. Apply each Preset
4. Manually Print

I see in the Device Center on the copier that I can make a new Workflow that is based on each preset, but is there a way to make a Virtual Printer on my Mac to just drag PDFs to it & have them Processed? I realize it's not as advanced as the RIP on the iGen, but I don't think there's a way in 10.7 any more to make Virtual Printers like we used to have, right?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Possum

I don't know that you can do that because Command Work Station isn't exactly a printer. I may be wrong, but I don't think you can work through that even if you can set up a virtual printer.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

The Command Workstation installer also includes EFI Hotfolders. Would that work for you?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Whattya' know? Those hotfolders are called virtual printers in CWS. They can be set up with specific properties. Look up virtual printer in the Help menu Search option, and it will tell you how to set them up. You do have to be able to sign into CWS as an admin to do it.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on March 24, 2015, 09:00:30 AMThe Command Workstation installer also includes EFI Hotfolders. Would that work for you?
Guess it doesn't support the Hot Folders feature, I get this when I browse to the machine.

A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

Quote from: Possum on March 24, 2015, 09:57:42 AMWhattya' know? Those hotfolders are called virtual printers in CWS. They can be set up with specific properties. Look up virtual printer in the Help menu Search option, and it will tell you how to set them up. You do have to be able to sign into CWS as an admin to do it.
Yeah, I did one like that but now that it's a Virtual Printer within CWS - how do I get files to it? It doesn't appear in my Print menus outside of CWS.  :-\

Joe

I actually haven't never used them before. Is there a setting in CWS to enable them or something like that?

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on March 24, 2015, 10:05:52 AM
Quote from: Possum on March 24, 2015, 09:57:42 AMWhattya' know? Those hotfolders are called virtual printers in CWS. They can be set up with specific properties. Look up virtual printer in the Help menu Search option, and it will tell you how to set them up. You do have to be able to sign into CWS as an admin to do it.
Yeah, I did one like that but now that it's a Virtual Printer within CWS - how do I get files to it? It doesn't appear in my Print menus outside of CWS.  :-\

On the Mac? Add printer?

Slappy

Ahhhh - closer! I can Add Printer & direct it to the custom Queue I've made. Now, how to just push PDFs to it directly...

Joe

Not sure but didn't it install the Hotfolder application on your Mac where there would be a folder (HOT) going to CWS? Or something like that? Or maybe you can connect via network to the RIP and see the hot folder share and connect to it that way? All just guessing at this point though.

Slappy

It did, and the Server config on the 260 even shows that Hot Folders are enabled, but the Hot Folder Console won't let me actually browse to the machine to create one.Time to contact one of the wonderful Xerox Support Analysts!!

Possum

It's been a long time since I did one, but it seems that you add it like you add any other printer in the Mac. Then you can print to that printer as you do any other from any program.

Slappy

Ah, it does show up as a printer I can access directly from Filemaker now!
Buuuuut...

It requires Authentication and all the docs I send get put on Hold. Fuck me running, this is just stupid.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Joe

Sounds like it is automatically going to he "Held" queue. Somewhere in the RIP there is a place to tell it which queue to go to. So when you print it asks for authentication? You have to give it your Mac password or the RIP password?

Ear

It's a PITA. Be persistent and you'll get it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black