change text in Indy

Started by frailer, October 16, 2007, 05:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Usually rely on PitStop for text fixes. In this case, they have subset the font, so missing some characters. In the morning will attempt to load/activate the font and see if PSP can load it/embed it. Mixed success in past. As a less desirable alternative, [as a one-off], has anyone ever placed the PDF in Indy, added a text-box over the type para which is to change, retype>save .ps or Export PDF? I'm guessing the first option is the cleaner one.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

ninjaPB_43

once you have your text typed out in indd and matching the original type, go delete it from from the original pdf and update the link. then save and export pdf.  clean as when it came in(nothing left hidden under anything)..   ;)
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

jimking

Just be careful the type you set isn't a tad slimmer, showing a difference between your text and the pdf's text if outlines were applied to the content of the pdf. If that's the case, create outlines to your text to match.

Joe

I do that a lot in InDesign and it works fine. I'm not fond of trying to set type using either the Acrobat or Pitstop text tools. I actually prefer doing it in InDesign unless it's just changing a few letters.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on October 16, 2007, 08:38:56 AMI do that a lot in InDesign and it works fine. I'm not fond of trying to set type using either the Acrobat or Pitstop text tools. I actually prefer doing it in InDesign unless it's just changing a few letters.

ditto.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

frailer

Did as per instructions this morning. AOK. Also particularly like the "go back and delete text from linked PDF" too, NinjaPB_43. Clean end result.
Thanks a bunch, all! 8)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

OK, had the chance to revisit this this afternoon, just to "see"... Tried to "load" the font, [had it Temporarily Activated in Fusion, for simplicity]. Went into Inspector [PSP], loaded the font from the Font Picker>System>[Embed checked]. Still behaving as a sub-set font. Tried saving and Closing file; restart Acrobat.
Seem to recall this being a less-than-reliable route as mentioned in previous posts. Any comments welcome. ???

ninjaPB_43

are you just loading the font when you go to Font Picker, or are you actually replacing the text with the new font?

maybe Im misunderstanding what your asking..   I have seen it behave differently depending on whether you have the line of text selected with the direct select tool vs, having the text highlighted with the text tool...   

also, what font is it?   Ive seen certain fonts struggle to embed.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2007, 11:35:51 PMOK, had the chance to revisit this this afternoon, just to "see"... Tried to "load" the font, [had it Temporarily Activated in Fusion, for simplicity]. Went into Inspector [PSP], loaded the font from the Font Picker>System>[Embed checked]. Still behaving as a sub-set font. Tried saving and Closing file; restart Acrobat.
Seem to recall this being a less-than-reliable route as mentioned in previous posts. Any comments welcome. ???

I'm not sure but I think it only embeds the characters you are replacing and have selected. You might try using global change without selecting the font with the the mouse. It might embed the whole character set that way.

almaink

A quick fix I've found for these type of files if you have the subset font active on your Mac, is to place the PDF into InDesign then export it as PDF unchecking the subset font box in PDF options or changing the number to 0. The resulting PDF will have all the fonts embedded and will be editable in Acrobat without dropped or changed characters. Using Pit Stop to do this may result in characters changing or tracking incorrectly. InDesign has no such issue.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Quote from: almaink on October 30, 2007, 11:12:38 AMA quick fix I've found for these type of files if you have the subset font active on your Mac, is to place the PDF into InDesign then export it as PDF unchecking the subset font box in PDF options or changing the number to 0. The resulting PDF will have all the fonts embedded and will be editable in Acrobat without dropped or changed characters. Using Pit Stop to do this may result in characters changing or tracking incorrectly. InDesign has no such issue.

Sweet tip. Thanks.

frailer

Shall chalk that one up for future use. 8)

ninjaPB_43

yep, nice tip Alma..    That one's going in the holster for when I need to pull out the big guns.   :D

frailer

Ninja, that avatar's got me mesmerised....gotta...st-o-op...w-a-atching....gotta do work now... :D