Anybody using PDF fpos in Rampage?

Started by determined, August 12, 2009, 08:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

determined

Having another really strange issue (do I ever have any other kind?)...will get a pdf from customer, trim boxes look fine, everything is good to go, rip the file and in the RSI Jobs/RSI Data folder, there are 2 pdfs (one on the surface of the folder, the other in an fpo folder)...The pdf on the surface folder is fine (trimbox where it should be, etc) but the one in the fpo folder has the trimbox WAY off in the outer limits...we just started using Metrix and all the positioning depends on trimboxes, so this really screws up the works...anybody seen anything like this before?

Murphy must have been in printing....

Falstaff

Are you using the PDF Trap Engine? Is it set to use Trim Box? Open the PDF and check the Trim Box with PitStop, is it correct?

I am going to assume that you have imposed the job using the FPO and it is off-center.

I don't have Metrix, am told it is the next best thing to sliced bread though.

On a side note - the lower half of mailing panel has to be rotated 180 so the fold is at the bottom when it runs through the Postal equipment.

determined

Here is the ripped pdf (not the PDF fpo)

oh and another side note...all of our other jobs are usually fine (just this one customer's pdfs have this problem)

also, I do not believe we are using pdf trap engine (we're still using 10.5), but how would I check on this?

Falstaff

Check your RIP profile that you drop the PDF into. It has a spot for choosing what box to use when RIPping. It is set to Trim, Bleed, etc. I often get PDFs with the boxes all out of whack. I always check with PitStop beforehand.

determined

No, see that's the thing...this pdf was NOT all out of whack, all trim boxes, bleed, media, etc. were where they should be UNTIL the fpo...see the pic above (that's the pdf BEFORE the fpo)

and my rip profile looks like this:

almaink

What are you using for the FPO? It shouldn't be anything from the RSI volume thats for sure. No idea WTF your even doing in there. When you make an FPO you select where it will reside.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

determined

No this isn't a "normal" fpo (we used to make those for imposing in preps, etc)...this is a new deal a "PDF fpo" and it resides in RSI Jobs within the RSI Data within the Job Folder  (we need this type of fpo for Metrix)...when you create the PDF FPO, it actually creates a folder within the Job Folder called FPO containing the PDF (fpo) file (shown in the first example)

**oh and a little ps here...I've found that if I fix the trim box on the fpo, it actually works

determined

Anyway, I guess this answers my original question...I'm obviously the only one in the world using PDF FPOs   :undecided:

Stiv

I don't even have an FPO folder anywhere on the RSI.

Is this a new Rampage thing or does Metrix put it there?

Tell us more about Metrix.

David

these FPO's must be something you guys started just for Metrix.
Metrix itself does not generate these, so I would assume that you have a guy there that set up some sort of javascript/applescript that does this for you and drops them into a new folder.

We have Metrix Max here, but we don't use Preps, we just sort of monkey with it to generate custom layouts for specific product/press sheet utilization. In Metrix, you can (if you want) place either live files or FPOs to further utilize the software and even generate a JDF file for use further down the line. It can generate cutting data for the Polar cutters in the bindery, for example.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

determined

Quote from: Stiv on August 12, 2009, 01:24:40 PMI don't even have an FPO folder anywhere on the RSI.

Is this a new Rampage thing or does Metrix put it there?

Tell us more about Metrix.

No, the FPO folder is created within the Job folder on RSI when you create the PDF FPO in Rampage. And it is a new thing set up in Rampage to help with Metrix. Like David said, we could use the hi res PDF that is created or we create the FPO (PDF). Unfortunately, we need to stitch the PDF for more than 1 page imposition (s/b under your tools tab in Rampage) and so far as I know, the only PDFs that we can stitch are FPOs (I will, however, be looking into this more)....unfortunately (for me) this was all set up and no one (again) really got any formal training (so, once again, flying by the seats of our pants here)...I was kind of hoping that someone else would be familiar with the PDF FPO thing, but I guess I'm just gonna have to muddle through this....

Stiv

Nothing like being on the front lines, first to fall.

I think this is what I like the most about this job though - fighting through the endless situations.

Let us know how it resolves itself, we are looking at Metrix also.

determined

yeah, there's always something new to learn...it's a bad day when you don't.  :tongue:

determined

Oh and just so you can see what I'm talking about, here's where we make the PDF FPOs...

determined

And maybe this will shed a little more light on things....