Publisher files_preferred type?

Started by frailer, November 01, 2007, 04:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Call from CSR. School year book, quite big, lotsa pics etc. Gonna be supplied in Publisher. Was asked how we wanted it. [Option D, "don't want it at all", wasn't included, sadly].
My off-the-cuff response was: PDF [press quality]/all fonts embedded, not sub-set/images CMYK. Didn't want to make it more complicated than that, but should I include anything else? BTW, have asked for some test PDFs in advance, which they are happy to do. Shall process/RIP/proof and see what we get.
Glad of any input.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

doubting_thomas

If they can give you a decent PDF from Publisher you shouldn't have too many problems.
I usually have clients submit the native files to me via Pack and Go (Pub's Package program).
I don't really trust our clients to make the PDF correctly. If they can make a good one for you
though, it may still suck a bit, but it's doable.

As a side note, we make at least 50x more money with Publisher than we do with Quark at this
point.

almaink

I also ask for the pack and go and try to walk them through making a PDF as well if I, they have the time. I'd rather work with the pdf than fight with Publisher. For the most part Pub PDF's are workable if you have Pit Stop. It does do some odd things tho, like use a large colored box with a smaller white box inside to make frames.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

frailer

Thanks for those...just a clarification, you need to have Pub to be able to use Pack & Go, right? Kinda obvious, but I'll ask it anyway...
Also the boxes sound a bit scary. We've got PSP. Global change? 1x1 in Inspector? Any info on the nitty gritty of what to do with 'em appreciated. ::)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Make sure they set the job up originally in Pub as either CMYK, B&W, or Black and Spot, whatever way they want it to print. It defaults to RGB out of the box. If they set it up as CMYK it will make life easier for you when you get the PDF's.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

doubting_thomas

Quote from: frailer on November 01, 2007, 07:06:36 PMThanks for those...just a clarification, you need to have Pub to be able to use Pack & Go, right?
Yes you do because you'll end up extracting a Publisher file from the packed archive.
Here's a trick, too. To Unpack an archive the Pack and Go utility generates a mini
application called Unpack (if I recall). Most of the time the client doesn't give that to
me, but you do need it to Unpack the files. I made my own Pack and Go archive and
saved the Unpack app onto our server. That way I always have it sitting around. It's
not specific to the archive that Publisher generates it for. That way when the client
forgets to give it to you it's no big deal.

jezza

Colour. It's most likely gonna be and RGBfest in there
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

..got the oil stone ready for the PitStop tools... :D
Speaking of which, actually placed a PDF in a PDF yesterday.[new in PSP V 7.x] A bit clunky, but not as clunky as I expected it to be. Can be handy on occasion.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 02, 2007, 05:24:18 AM..got the oil stone ready for the PitStop tools... :D
Speaking of which, actually placed a PDF in a PDF yesterday.[new in PSP V 7.x] A bit clunky, but not as clunky as I expected it to be. Can be handy on occasion.

I've used that a few times and it's a great tool.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

EyeTech

There's a beta version of Publisher to Indesign on Markwarz site - can't vouch for it as yet but it's worth a pop if you're stuck

http://markzware.com/pub2id/

'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

almaink

Nice find EyeTech! Just downloaded the demo and will try it on the next Pub file I get.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

frailer

QuoteThere's a beta version of Publisher to Indesign on Markwarz site - can't vouch for it as yet but it's worth a pop if you're stuck

This is what b4p's all about...carin' and sharin'...Thanks eyetech! :)

gtrev

Sweet! just used it for a crappy catalogue I'm putting together - had to use it in Indy CS2 on my mac & then migrate up to CS3 - but it felt good to slap that pooblisher file around I must say!
What proof?

EyeTech

Music to my ears  ;D

I've not had any Publisher files for a while - but whenever we do they're never fit to print straight off and editing in Publisher makes me lose the will to live!

'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

frailer

OK...got my test pages at last. Musta been burned PC-only. Won't open on PPC G5. No worries, take home, open on crappy home PC. PDFs look OK, but only Acro Reader at home.
Plan A: [always the worry]. Get son to drag off onto his MacMini on home network. Burn "Mac Only" disk with Toast.
           See if he can then open them then on his Mini. If so, take to work and open on G5, where I can attack them with AcroPro/QABOT/PSP.
Plan B: Office wallah has a Scitex Dolev PPD on his PC...ask no questions.. [attached to MSPub, I guess. This has, apparently, maybe worked in the past...maybe saving a .ps...but you're shutting yourself out of the editing path then.
Plan C: [which may become plan A...attack with the demo version Publisher to Indy. But I gotta get 'em open 1st.
Shall feedback on results.

PS: no jokes about taking work home...please.  :-X