News:

Main Menu

Dreamweaver

Started by DigiCorn, August 30, 2010, 10:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilbear

There must be temporal rip in the force today. I  sat and took the order for a full colour catalogue, including design and said sure I can do a web site from scratch. Just finished upgrading to CS5 and I also have to come up to speed.
Should be a busy Fall - thanks for the free web school link.

DigiCorn

Quote from: youston on August 30, 2010, 01:43:32 PM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 30, 2010, 01:34:26 PM
Quote from: youston on August 30, 2010, 01:18:34 PM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 30, 2010, 12:58:59 PMThese are the tools I have and presumably at some point understand relatively quickly.

You don't have a text editor and a web browser?
I don't understand the interwebs. I have those things, and I'm still a monkey fucking a football.

So what are you going to do after you've spent a month designing a great site and then learn that Dreamweaver writes shitty html that needs to be corrected ... with code ... by hand?

We put together about 3 Dreamweaver projects a month, and have been doing so for a few years. Every one of them has required that we 'fix' Dreamweaver's code by hand.
I don't think I can desing a site complicated enough to have issues yet  :cry:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

For Mac: TextWrangler

For Win: HTML Kit

Both fine text editors and 100% free, if you're hand coding/editing.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

TextWrangler for the win here.

I haven't tried this but if you want to do flash and don't want to do coding you can give it a try.

Build Your FREE Website

QuoteWix.com offers you a simple, powerful, drag & drop editing platform to create stunning Flash websites, layouts, and more.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

"Stunning" LOL

I'd love to see the Flash masterpieces that come out of that.

Doing one of those freebie, auto-build sites for a business is unprofessional, IMO.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 30, 2010, 02:50:52 PM"Stunning" LOL

I'd love to see the Flash masterpieces that come out of that.

Doing one of those freebie, auto-build sites for a business is unprofessional, IMO.

Ditto

Tracy

dig sig, once you start building the site, you will prolly be able to see the code
and might even start understanding it, and make the adjustments needed.
no worries! go for it!

DigiCorn

I think I basically "get" the basics behind Dreamweaver. I'm just not able to manipulate the placement of things the way I'd like. It's not InDesign or Illustrator - it's its own unique bastardized hybrid animal and I'm really struggling with getting things aligned the way I want. That and I don't totally understand how to work with banners and master page items. And I'm sure I'll struggle with trying to integrate a pdf form into a page as well when I get to that point. I think what I'm trying to do is pretty simple... a 4 page website with a master header and footer (appears on all pages), with a welcome page, a contact page, a form for quote request page, and an about us page. I know what I want to do; what I want it to look like... I just can't do it. Watching video after video for help.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 30, 2010, 03:40:09 PMI think I basically "get" the basics behind Dreamweaver. I'm just not able to manipulate the placement of things the way I'd like. It's not InDesign or Illustrator - it's its own unique bastardized hybrid animal and I'm really struggling with getting things aligned the way I want.

This is exactly why DW is a curse. Dump it and learn HTML & CSS if you want to be able to put together a customized website properly. It'll never work if you just jump into it, I guarantee it.

youston

Quote from: gnubler on August 30, 2010, 04:31:53 PM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 30, 2010, 03:40:09 PMI think I basically "get" the basics behind Dreamweaver. I'm just not able to manipulate the placement of things the way I'd like. It's not InDesign or Illustrator - it's its own unique bastardized hybrid animal and I'm really struggling with getting things aligned the way I want.

This is exactly why DW is a curse. Dump it and learn HTML & CSS if you want to be able to put together a customized website properly. It'll never work if you just jump into it, I guarantee it.

Digital@, this is a situation where people who do this kind of stuff and know what they're talking about are telling you about the realities of web design, and you, who by your own admission know nothing about this sort of thing, are steadfastly insisting that these are NOT the realities of web design. I hate to say it, man, but this is VERY sausage-like behavior.  :undecided:

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 30, 2010, 04:31:53 PM

Sort of like people that jump into printing without learning the trade? We have a name for them. :laugh:

gnubler

Joe

gnubler

Sausage desingers? :laugh: