News:

Main Menu

XM Pie Licensing

Started by Slappy, October 30, 2012, 09:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Anybody have an idea if you can install a single seat of XM Pie uDirect on more that one machine, so long as it's not running concurrently? I want to start learning it, but of course told that they won't purchase a 2nd install at $5k a pop. Perfectly understandable, but as rarely as they use it, I could at least be getting familiar if I could install it on my workstation. I glanced at the EULA but couldn't see a clear mention.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

Get FusionPro. You could get 5 or 6 licenses for that price.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Not my call mag, or I would. I bet I could have jacked the license from the old shop had I thought of it before they shut us down. Maybe I'll suggest switching to FP if it really becomes an issue here, but I have a feeling the Prep Mgr will veto anything New or Different.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

Just tell him that XM Pie is in bed with Xerox, so it'll be proprietary and limit your future options.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Um, all of their digital machines here are Xerox! (With the exception of the Xante pos.) I think they enjoy being buggered by them, or something.

Stiv

I believe they have a plug-in that just lets you prep files.
I had the full version installed on a laptop and a workstation. We went with FP after XMPie drove me insane(r).

t-pat

The answer is it is dependent on the version. The version of uDirect that runs in CS3 will allow install on multiple machines, the version that runs in CS5.5 will absolutely NOT.

However, in "theory" it is "possible" to "run"the CS5.5 version in a Mac virtual machine on multiple installs, if you install it in a VM and copy that VM you can run it on different machines, just not simultaneously.

That's what we would "in theory" "do"

:)

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Skryber

I have a "feeling" you want to "say" something "different".  :laugh:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Quote from: t-pat on October 30, 2012, 10:51:30 AMThe answer is it is dependent on the version. The version of uDirect that runs in CS3 will allow install on multiple machines, the version that runs in CS5.5 will absolutely NOT.

However, in "theory" it is "possible" to "run"the CS5.5 version in a Mac virtual machine on multiple installs, if you install it in a VM and copy that VM you can run it on different machines, just not simultaneously.

That's what we would "in theory" "do"

:)

Ahhhhh, ok then! In "theory" it sounds like more work than I want to go to for something they don't even want me using yet but I'll keep it in mind. "Thanks!"

David

"cool"

hacking can be fun
wink wink nudge nudge
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: Slappy on October 30, 2012, 12:01:15 PMAhhhhh, ok then! In "theory" it sounds like more work than I want to go to for something they don't even want me using yet but I'll keep it in mind. "Thanks!"

yeah even getting OSX running in a VM requires another series of hacks
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait