News:

Main Menu

Again?

Started by determined, April 23, 2010, 06:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

determined

OK, the first time this happened, I was happy to let it go (no biggie, really)....but now it's just getting annoying

For the second day in a row, I got this when opening Illy CS3....anybody got any idea what could be causing my prefs to corrupt?
Murphy must have been in printing....

David

you're using a Mac, right?
how many users do you have set on your machine?
have you tried logging into another user and see if the problem exist there?
You may have a corrupted user pref (which in turn is corrupting the Illy pref).
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

a lot can be down to poor battery life/dodgy ram......and some can be inexplicable

ya do a prefs repair regulalrly?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

determined

there are 3 accounts set up on my mac, running 10.4.11

and I have never done a repair prefs....is that in my utilities?

strangely, Illy CS4 is completely unaffected....

beermonster

yeah in utilities open up disk utility and hit repair permissions

have a whizz with onyx if there's one available for your system and applejack cures many many evils

beermonster

oh - in disk utility you'l need to highlight your hard drive - one click - then hit repair permissions - sorry

beermonster

i am SUCH a dumm ass sometime....all the time...

there is onyx for 10.4.11 - i should know as thats what i'm running :embarrassed:

its been a long week :cry: :embarrassed:

determined

Just did the disk repair (this repairs prefs, too?)

Didn't know (see I'm a dumbass too)

It only seems to happen first thing in the morning after a restart (and switching over from the nightshift guy's login) so I guess we'll see what happens on Monday

Thanks

G_Town

Quote from: determined on April 23, 2010, 08:19:19 AMJust did the disk repair (this repairs prefs, too?)

It only seems to happen first thing in the morning after a restart (and switching over from the nightshift guy's login) so I guess we'll see what happens on Monday

Thanks

Disk repair is different than repairing permissions although they are in the same window, lower left hand corner says repair disk permissions.

determined

But they're both done with the disk repair utility, correct?

Nevermind  :embarrassed:

G_Town

Quote from: determined on April 23, 2010, 08:28:50 AMBut they're both done with the disk repair utility, correct?

Nevermind  :embarrassed:

No worries you found it then?

Joe

Quote from: determined on April 23, 2010, 08:19:19 AMJust did the disk repair (this repairs prefs, too?)

Thanks

Is it possible he's logging out/shutting down without properly closing his applications? That can cause stuff like this to happen because many times when the shutdown/logoff procedure tries closing an open app it fails which can result in a crash of the application and corruption of open files.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

determined

Hmmm....very interesting point. It's very possible because he leaves all kinds of stuff open. (I also noticed that the users folder was left open....not sure why and that's kind of scary in itself)