'Distressing' effect (for frailer's daughter)

Started by frailer, May 05, 2011, 05:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

She's stressin' about the distressin'. Wants to emulate the distressing you see in the coloured shot, but do it in Illy so it's vector. Pointers/leads as to how to get the effect in Illy, other than using the 'Distressing' Tool.   :laugh:
If anyone's done this type of thing before.   :undecided:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

She does realize, she will have a billion nodes, right? Not the way to go, vector with this one.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Yeah, she pretty much has to do vector for her stuff, I think. May have to simplify. Or work around it some other way.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: frailer on May 05, 2011, 05:29:50 PMYeah, she pretty much has to do vector for her stuff, I think. May have to simplify. Or work around it some other way.

Has too? Something like that seems like a raster image would be perfect. I'm not understanding why the need for vector for something like that but then again, it's not printing on paper for her but I am interested as to why it "has" to be vector. Like DCS said, there will be a billion nodes so that little XP machine she is using at her job is going to be choking pretty quickly and violently.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

i was just fooling with this.. DCS is right.

i created a bunch of .25pt width lines, slightly rotated, spread them across the page, then used that as a mask to divide the underlying type to get the effect. it works, but damn it chokes the pc...

gnubler

Is it type? Just use a distressed font, there's tons on dafont.com.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

I've suggested she look in here.... maybe login and clarify...
Thanks for replies so far...

Joe

frailer

Joe, you's a human google bot.    :laugh:    Sent it to her....  cheers

drummergirlucy

Hello

I'm said daughter

i don't HAVE to use vectors, but if there's a way of achieving exactly the same distress as on the image below, please let me know

if it involves using photoshop at the same time, i can certainly try, but most likely it will crash *sigh*

so... need to use that font, so no other font is an option - must look same as orig. in all ways

and.... need to be able to change the colours easily

Maybe somehow put the text into photoshop and distress, then place back in?

HELP!

drummergirlucy

i have done this raster effect before....... I guess it's the only option............... maybe i may have to re-draw the shape below and use same new texture over whole thing for continuity

frailer

Do a screenshot, but must be under 256KB. Then use 'Attachments and other options' under post field. Or, Upload image to photobucket or similar, then copy link; then use 'Insert Hyperlink' button. This can only be seen by logged in members. That button is under the 'italics' button

Joe

Hi Lucy, I think the link I posted above will get you there using both photoshop and illustrator. To keep from crashing do your work in photoshop then close it down. Then go to illustrator. They are both resource hogs so I wouldn't try to run them both on the PC we've heard you are saddled with. You can try different textures for different effects. Yes, if you can, post the image so we can see exactly what youo are trying to accomplish.

frailer

If the image is OK to be viewed generally, click on the 'IMG' field in photobucket, once uploaded. Paste into post. Should display in post, rather than for download.
Not sure how private you need it to be.