PDF Snake

Started by Stiv, February 03, 2010, 12:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

Anyone heard of or know anything about this? http://www.pdfsnake.com/index.html

tapdn

Sounds interesting, but unfortunately it's Windows only software apparently.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Grimace

Yeah, windows only.

I use it every day. For the money I guess it is okay, but had very little documentation with it and I had to do plenty of trial and error work, once setup it is good for quick frequent impositions.

Break out your calculator if you get this.
First I had to determine how Snake layed out files, and when to rotate and shuffle the page order to get the results I needed.

Take an 8up numbered folding sig, First I have to have all my files 1up at finish size in a PDF(no biggie)
Then I need to determine what files need to be rotated for proper sig orientation, then shuffle the page order to get the pages to flow correctly into the impositon, which only allows you to set top and left margin(don't know if that is standard impo?) then I set the layout as 4 column 2row and then snake places the 1up pages in their spot with registration marks.

The problem I had at first was to make sure I set the file up for front sig/back sig.
Then the other problem is, let's say I do this for a 32page booklet, I can't run a 16page or a 64 page with the same saved setting, I have to run all the above as it suits the number of pages.
Good times.

mattbeals

Quite Imposing and Quite Hot Imposing are still the best value around for imposition programs. Let me know if you need a demo copy or more info. Yes, I do sell it. But I'd still be happy to just give you information.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

youston

Quote from: mattbeals on March 04, 2010, 11:24:10 PMQuite Imposing and Quite Hot Imposing are still the best value around for imposition programs. Let me know if you need a demo copy or more info. Yes, I do sell it. But I'd still be happy to just give you information.

It's been years since I used Quite Imposing, but it was a kickass little plugin.

mattbeals

Still is... That's why Xerox, HP, Oce, FedEx/Kinko's, Sir Speedy and others all use it. There are tens of thousands seats of Quite Imposing installed world wide. It really is the most popular imposition tool around.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DigiCorn

We have Quite Imposing, but I prefer to do everything in Preps. It does other stuff we use it for, other than impos, like page numbering and "white-out' to touch up poor scans without leaving pdf or using pitstop to relink images. The page numbering is pretty kick ass; you can start it and stop it anywhere with any numbers, handy when you have "Smart Board" and you've added tabs you don't want numbered for your digital press.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Grimace

I checked out Quite imposing demo, it is easier to use than Snake, but maybe that is from experience?
Anyway, it didn't seem twice as easy, but is easily over twice the price...I will look at it more later to give a fair shake.

mattbeals

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on March 05, 2010, 02:27:06 PMWe have Quite Imposing, but I prefer to do everything in Preps. It does other stuff we use it for, other than impos, like page numbering and "white-out' to touch up poor scans without leaving pdf or using pitstop to relink images. The page numbering is pretty kick ass; you can start it and stop it anywhere with any numbers, handy when you have "Smart Board" and you've added tabs you don't want numbered for your digital press.

Nice to have Preps, it's good stuff. But it can't really be automated. Quite Hot Imposing can be. I'd suggest you try Hot and see what you think of it and how much faster it may (or may not) be with standard impositions.
Matt Beals

DigiCorn

We have an older version of Quite, and unless they have fixed any of the bleed issues, not looking to upgrade. Besides, SmartBoard, which we MUST use, HAS to run on Acrobat 5 for the version compatible with our Canon RIP. Quite could not be upgraded on this system. I guess we could upgrade Quite on a different 'puter, but it would never get used because the SmartBoard machine is the one where it is needed.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

mattbeals

Well, install it and try it... Worse that happens is it doesn't work. Ask Charles or I to build the template and impose the job for you if you don't want to install it.
Matt Beals