Sales Person classic

Started by WharfRat, March 29, 2013, 10:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WharfRat

I received a file today.
Printed sample and informed sales about missing fonts.
InDy - simply enough to Package a job.
Of course the client did not sent the fonts
(10 min)
-
 - So "they (sales)" told me to sub the fonts.
(10 min)
-
Inform sales - again -
sales bitching - this is EXACTLY what i was wanting to avoid
(informing the client that their file was all fu**ed up).
-
I went through all of the clients previous files in the archives.
So ... then .... same client fonts loaded.
(15min)
New proof showed same thing
overset type - type missing - text wrap ruined.
-
Contact client - new file.
-
New file - with "their document fonts"
same INCORRECT output.
download - load  - print
15 min
-
Informed sales
they bitchingly state they will have the client send in a PDF.
I say - I can send them our print PDF export settings.
"I'll just have them export to PDFX-1"
(what a moron)
-
PDF from client comes in.
Open and print out for sales
(10 min)
SAME PROBLEMS show in THEIR PDF.
(overset text - missing text).
-
Inform Sales
they contact client
" Well I am a newcomer with InDesign
sorry"
-
Client goes over all the problems pointed out to her in her file.
-
New file uploaded.
Process file - everything fixed on her end (almost) - all OK
(5 min)
-
This is a major company in our city - I don't get it.
The designer is going to all these parties receiving cudos for her great work on this printing piece.

Well deserved!.

Luckily I love PrePress,
MSD

gnubler

Quote from: WharfRat on March 29, 2013, 10:28:09 PM(10 min)
(10 min)
(15min)
15 min
(10 min)
(5 min)

This is what management doesn't understand. My former boss is fixated on *hours*. "How many hours of prepress is in the new jobs rack?" My answer is always the same for each job...could take 5 minutes, could take 2 hours. Depends on how fucking retarded the supplied files are.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

I've got an open TextEdit doc where I'm starting to document instances just like this, because nobody wants to educate/push clients to a decent PDF workflow. But, they want to increase volume & productivity - somehow.  :death:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Fontaholic

Quote from: gnubler on March 29, 2013, 11:29:02 PMThis is what management doesn't understand. My former boss is fixated on *hours*. "How many hours of prepress is in the new jobs rack?" My answer is always the same for each job...could take 5 minutes, could take 2 hours. Depends on how fucking retarded the supplied files are.

I was always getting into arguments with Duh Management about stuff like this as well -- my having to take hours to get a client-provided file whipped into serviceable shape -- but the compromise we decided on was that before taking it upon myself to make the necessary fixes, I would estimate how much time I thought it would take, and we would inform the client ahead of time with an estimated cost on the time I'd be spending on their job.  Nine times out of ten, the customer would be OK with this, provided they were notified ahead of time and not sucker-punched with an additional fee after the fact.

Cheers, John the Fontaholic

gnubler

Quote from: Fontaholic on April 01, 2013, 06:43:25 AMNine times out of ten, the customer would be OK with this

9 out of 10 of our customers think design & prep should be free.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

around here they usually are
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Fontaholic on April 01, 2013, 06:43:25 AMI was always getting into arguments with Duh Management about stuff like this as well -- my having to take hours to get a client-provided file whipped into serviceable shape -- but the compromise we decided on was that before taking it upon myself to make the necessary fixes, I would estimate how much time I thought it would take, and we would inform the client ahead of time with an estimated cost on the time I'd be spending on their job.  Nine times out of ten, the customer would be OK with this, provided they were notified ahead of time and not sucker-punched with an additional fee after the fact.

That is how I used to do it.  One client came over to see me (I hadn't been working there long) and asked me why it was taking so long to prep the job.  "It's a right mess" I said and gave him a list off the top of my head of all the things that were going to take me a couple of hours to fix.  "But we have professional designers working on these jobs" he says "Just because you get paid doesn't necessarily mean you're professional" says I. 

Later I found out it was his wife who had done the artwork.  Oh, how we laughed.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Fontaholic

Quote from: StudioMonkey on April 02, 2013, 05:54:44 AMThat is how I used to do it.  One client came over to see me (I hadn't been working there long) and asked me why it was taking so long to prep the job.  "It's a right mess" I said and gave him a list off the top of my head of all the things that were going to take me a couple of hours to fix.  "But we have professional designers working on these jobs" he says "Just because you get paid doesn't necessarily mean you're professional" says I. 

Later I found out it was his wife who had done the artwork.  Oh, how we laughed.

:lmao:

Oopsie!!!

Possum

Creative Cloud subscription = Instant Professional Designer
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

gnubler

Quote from: Possum on April 02, 2013, 09:53:19 AMNo cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. What am I missing?

Not much. I seem to be doing okay.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

he's ok with being "ok"...

I'm ok with that
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I'm not unwell.

Not today anyway.

MCpwr

Quote from: david on April 01, 2013, 09:29:38 AMaround here they usually are

It's the same here. I can't believe how much we work we do for nothing in return, it's disgusting. Management says that's what keeps them coming back and then we wonder why we're not making any money.  :wtf:
Having more fun then you can shake a stick at since 1987!

gnubler

Ya, well we're printing a "Skryber" this week. Shit in, shit out. It's a stitched booklet put together by a local college art class, I'm sure no further elaboration is needed. Pages on the wrong side, no bleeds, text running to trim line, etc. We got the job about a month ago and they were told we needed 2 weeks for production. Now the booklet is needed by Thursday and we just got their shit files today (Tuesday). So 2 weeks = 1 day. My boss rolled her eyes and said we're just going to print it and it will look like shit, but she doesn't care.  :laugh:

Shit in, shit out.