News:

Main Menu

Roku

Started by DigiCorn, February 22, 2012, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on February 28, 2012, 12:06:54 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2012, 11:21:06 AMt-pat, what kind of remote/receiver are you using on your htpc?
I'm using a RF wireless keyboard/touchpad combo, looks like the bottom half of  a laptop. -- that or the android remote for xbmc or boxee, both work fine.

What kind of receiver? Built in or a USB?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on February 28, 2012, 12:06:54 PMThat Zotac box is probably not up to the task of 1080p due to the slower processor and lack of a decent video chipset, but newegg sells other Zotac boxes either with the Atom d525 with Nvidia Ion graphics, or either of the AMD e-350 or e-450 based boards with iirc ATI graphics that will be up to the task. Foxconn, Shuttle, Acer, and others also offer similar form factor barebones boxes -- all for around the same price if you shop

Something like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107081

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2012, 12:26:15 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2012, 11:21:06 AMt-pat, what kind of remote/receiver are you using on your htpc?
I'm using a RF wireless keyboard/touchpad combo, looks like the bottom half of  a laptop. -- that or the android remote for xbmc or boxee, both work fine.

just a usb dongle, actually I have 2 of them, one is laptop size and the other is like this: http://www.amazon.com/Laptopmate-Ipazzport-Touchpad-Wireless-presentation/dp/tech-data/B005C71L5Y
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on February 28, 2012, 12:47:12 PM

just a usb dongle, actually I have 2 of them, one is laptop size and the other is like this: http://www.amazon.com/Laptopmate-Ipazzport-Touchpad-Wireless-presentation/dp/tech-data/B005C71L5Y

So the dongle comes with that? How big is that keyboard? Looks small but pics on the internet can be deceiving. Easy to use?

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2012, 01:01:12 PM

So the dongle comes with that? How big is that keyboard? Looks small but pics on the internet can be deceiving. Easy to use?

comes with a usb dongle included, or there is a bluetooth version of it which I regret not getting.

Range is a little sensitive, and I wouldn't want to write a book on it, but as far as controlling a media center it works fine. You can rotate the orientation to use the dpad 90 degrees from landscape.
Touchpad is fine.

It is about the size of a Hershey bar.

It also comes with a usb Y cable with a standard mini-usb end to charge it (bonus! no batteries!) and a standard female A end to plug the dongle in, I have this sort of under the tv so when the battery goes low I can just walk over there and plug it in to charge.
vdp donkey

Farabomb

If you want to go a bit bigger I just got.

This and this. The lighted part is real nice, rechargeable (keyboard only) and both use the unified receiver. If you buy both you end up with 2 receivers so you can use them on 2 boxes.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: Farabomb on February 28, 2012, 02:39:43 PMIf you want to go a bit bigger I just got.

This and this. The lighted part is real nice, rechargeable (keyboard only) and both use the unified receiver. If you buy both you end up with 2 receivers so you can use them on 2 boxes.

meh, 2 more things to keep track of. Like I said I have a full size RF wireless keyboard WITH A BUILT IN TOUCH PAD.

looks just like the lower half of a slim laptop, I bet it contains laptop components.
vdp donkey

t-pat

vdp donkey

Farabomb

I mainly got it for the light up part. My big HP laptop has the world's worst keyboard. Unless I have an arclamp directly above the keys the contrast is so horrible that I can't see the keys. Yes, I slept through typing class and use a modified hunt and peck system so I need to see the keys sometimes.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2012, 12:38:54 PM
Quote from: t-pat on February 28, 2012, 12:06:54 PMThat Zotac box is probably not up to the task of 1080p due to the slower processor and lack of a decent video chipset, but newegg sells other Zotac boxes either with the Atom d525 with Nvidia Ion graphics, or either of the AMD e-350 or e-450 based boards with iirc ATI graphics that will be up to the task. Foxconn, Shuttle, Acer, and others also offer similar form factor barebones boxes -- all for around the same price if you shop

Something like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107081

Check this one out for just under $300 with ram and a 320gb hd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270897236643
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on February 28, 2012, 02:45:06 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on February 28, 2012, 02:39:43 PMIf you want to go a bit bigger I just got.

meh, 2 more things to keep track of. Like I said I have a full size RF wireless keyboard WITH A BUILT IN TOUCH PAD.

looks just like the lower half of a slim laptop, I bet it contains laptop components.

Those are nice but I think I like the small one t-pat posted. I really don't have to have a keyboard so I might just get one of these and then I think I can program my DirecTV remote with Flirc to use it.

Remote Control USB Receiver with IR Cable

If my DirecTV control won't work with it I can always get a cheap Harmony for it.

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on February 28, 2012, 03:15:35 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2012, 12:38:54 PM

Check this one out for just under $300 with ram and a 320gb hd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270897236643

Nice. Right now I'm going to try to drive it with AMD Athlon 64 PC running XP and see how that does.

t-pat

should be ok with a video card that can do hardware decoding I would think.
vdp donkey

Joe

t-pat, what OS are using this with?

It says "Laptopmate Ipazzport Mini Touchpad Wireless Keyboard for Windows 7/ MacOS 10.x or later/ Linux Debian 3.1 with laser pointer and presentation [R.F 2.4G Black]"

I'm running XP Pro.

t-pat

worked on Vista for sure. Mine is not exactly the pazzport one but looks identical. I did not need any drivers for either keyboard, they auto installed as USB HID keyboard and mouse, generic style, because that's what they are.

I tried the tiny one on my android tablet and it worked on that about as well as any work on my tablet.

I'll try connecting them to my virtual machine XP install and see what that does, but I expect it will just work right.
vdp donkey