Opening a PDF with Illustrator - Epic Fail

Started by Fat Boy Tim, March 23, 2018, 08:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Boy Tim

Hello Folks,

I am hosting an internal training session next week

One aim is to get the team to stop using Illustrator to check or correct PDF files created by non-Illustrator apps and I am looking for any PDF file that when opened in Illustrator causes obvious (or hard to discover) errors.

I have one or two but I'm looking for some variety.

Please - any files you have can be emailed to smleuropeltd@printosbox.com

In return I give you an Illustrator EPS file that displays either ABC or CBA depending on what app you use to open or preview it. The spot colours move around a bit too but that's less impressive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4rflxr5eor9w6sx/ABC%20or%20CBA.eps.zip?dl=0

Thanks for reading and have a good weekend.

Cheers

Tim
​​​​​​​

Joe

The warning you get from Illustrator when you open a PDF that wasn't created in Illustrator should be enough for most people but ha ha....people tend to ignore warnings on their computer screen. Unless it is one that wants to fix their computer for them. They follow that through all of the time. >:(

But I don't have any known PDF's that cause an issue when you open it in Illustrator because I don't open PDF's in Illustrator. Sorry.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

Quote from: Joe on March 25, 2018, 08:33:44 AMThe warning you get from Illustrator when you open a PDF that wasn't created in Illustrator should be enough for most people but ha ha....people tend to ignore warnings on their computer screen. Unless it is one that wants to fix their computer for them. They follow that through all of the time. >:(

But I don't have any known PDF's that cause an issue when you open it in Illustrator because I don't open PDF's in Illustrator. Sorry.

I too should have a sample but alas I do not. I never do it unless I know it's an Illustrator created and saved PDF with Illustrator compatibility enabled.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

scottrsimons

I don't have any either, as the only time I open a PDF not made in Illy, in Illy is when I'm diagnosing a problem. Or when I only need one element from the PDF anyway, and I don't care about the errors.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Slappy

Honestly, make some PDFs in InDesign/Photoshop/Canva or whatever that you know are going to get destroyed when opened in Illustrator. Better to show people how horribly wrong it can go, no need for "real" samples - they're likely never going to listen anyway.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on March 26, 2018, 08:49:57 AMHonestly, make some PDFs in InDesign/Photoshop/Canva or whatever that you know are going to get destroyed when opened in Illustrator. Better to show people how horribly wrong it can go, no need for "real" samples - they're likely never going to listen anyway.

This! Because they have been doing it that way for 20 years. It is why we still have design places send us version 1.3 pdf's. Because in 1998 a printer told them they needed version 1.3 pdf's.

Personally I blame this on Adobe. Illustrator should refuse to open a pdf that wasn't created in Illustrator and saved with the pdf edibility option. Also Photoshop should not be allowed to open or save a PDF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

I hate it when designers use Photoshop as a design tool. Really, just because they added a text tool, you're going to save yourself some time/money? it's going to take us time to either fix it which will cost much more, or just print it because it crap in - crap out.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

G_Town

We had a job come in as flattened photoshop files. Some 30 items.

Told sales this was BS and that he needed to straighten them out and he said he would make sure next time they would send them in correctly.

Next year they requested text changes on same files.

:shoots_self:

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Possum

Quote from: AaronH on March 26, 2018, 12:57:05 PMI hate it when designers use Photoshop as a design tool. Really, just because they added a text tool, you're going to save yourself some time/money? it's going to take us time to either fix it which will cost much more, or just print it because it crap in - crap out.

Lately I've gotten several Photoshop files for screen printing which have lovely vector type over some crappy JPEG from the internet. Yeah, like that makes it all better.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?