What have you got?

Started by delooch, September 21, 2009, 10:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

We just got our hands on a Canon ImagePress c6000 with the A1100 RIP. Very impressive prints on a wide variety of stocks. I was very cynical after jockeying a CLC5100 for 4 years, but Canon seemed to get their shit right on this one. F/B registration is dead-on. Color is a+. Command workstation 5 is much more flexible than 4 was.

The a1100 RIP is much more sensitive to transparencies. Im having to go back and flatten areas on some re-run jobs. They ran fine on the older CLC but now i get a few issues.

We are moving our entire business card production off of our toko presses and onto the Imagepress. I wasnt fond of the idea cause id like to keep our pressroom busy, but it will cost a lot less and allow almost instant turnarounds..

beermonster

not a digital press (even though they sell it as one!) we have a lasco dyss apollo 160 uv inkjet thing - heap of junk - dont buy it - directors bought our one, ignoring my recommendation and warnings.....which came back to haunt them
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Chelle

You have ghosts there? Do you give tours? :huh:
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

beermonster

no ghosts - only sales things/people..
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Chelle

That's even scarier - you should do a haunted shop for Halloween.
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

LoganBlade

I have a DocuColor 260. Color is good print is good registration has a lot to be desired but ok for what i am doing. Sucks you can't back up heavy stock unless you manual do it. I mostly do business cards and a couple books here and there. I love doing mailings on cards it does a real good job. As a getting your toes wet it is quite a nice machine. Probably could have saved money with something else but I had no say in what we bought.

I also have a Xerox Docutech Highlight Color 155. We use have a choice of 8 color but use only one. You have to by a unit for each color. I do letters that I would have to send out to print. It has helped increase output in my area because of the second color.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

Slappy

HP Indigo 5000 here. It's a few generations old but our Operator is damned good at keeping it up to snuff and I'd say many of the jobs we've run on that press rival the 105XL in the big room.Wish we'd get some equipment for offline coating, but I don't see them parting with any coin in the near future.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Falstaff

Is anyone aware of any post press issues of digitally printed mat'l?

Does if go through the folders well, etc?

Chilbear

I use an HP5500 Indigo and the issues are much the same - watch for grain direction on card, Indigo likes card short but text long grain. I also have found that Indigo is prone to smudging if the object is under heat/pressure (think Business cards in wallet). AQ or off line coating solves this. Sometimes the ink will "chip" on the edges of solids increasing the "waaambulance" factor of the client. Again coating solves the issue. I have found chipping is a serious issue on toner based materials and though cheap to produce are open to upsell to "protect" the image using off line varnished/coatings.

As for folders, I would bet friction fed folders would mark the sheets but pile fed not so much. I have not found diecutting is affected either way.

delooch

Quote from: Falstaff on September 22, 2009, 11:12:31 AMIs anyone aware of any post press issues of digitally printed mat'l?

Does if go through the folders well, etc?

I have difficulty with 80# and heavier coated cover stocks going through the folder, the material seems to "slip" in the rollers, the folds arent consistent.  The only thing that helps is hosing down the rollers with some anti-static spray or some cleaner.

As always, areas with med-heavy coverage will crack on the folds, unless you score first (you must).

weve sent a few jobs produced on the c6000 for embossing/die cuts. No problems with registration at all.

youston

We have a NexPress 2500. Troubleshooting image quality issues is a bitch (and sometimes an EXPENSIVE bitch).

When it's running (and I type this 5 minutes after it blew an air hose), it's an awesome beast.

When it's running.

Chilbear

Quote from: delooch on September 22, 2009, 12:26:49 PMI have difficulty with 80# and heavier coated cover stocks going through the folder, the material seems to "slip" in the rollers, the folds arent consistent.  The only thing that helps is hosing down the rollers with some anti-static spray or some cleaner.
A solution for the non grip is to use a non solvent cleaner on the rubber - like Metering roller cleaner (MRC) from a large press. You want to remove the glaze without hardening the rubber on the roller. Blanket wash will do but leaves behind a film. MRC is perfect. Isopropanal alcohol also works but is hard on the rubber. My logic is if we trust it on the most important roller in the large press then the folder is safe. Still have the same rollers in the MBO for 20 years now. PM me if more suggestions are needed.

Stiv

We have a lot of jobs that spot varnish. Is this done off-line on another press or do the digital presses have a similar option?

youston

Quote from: Stiv on September 22, 2009, 02:46:49 PMWe have a lot of jobs that spot varnish. Is this done off-line on another press or do the digital presses have a similar option?

The NexPress has a fifth imaging unit that can apply a clear toner, either as a spot or a flood. It's decent. Dunno about an Indigo or an iGen. Or much of anything else, for that matter.

Farabomb

2 4c QMDIs here in the other part of the shop. Used to run them, hate them with a passion but if the pressman is good they can get a very good product off of it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job