News:

Main Menu

Roku

Started by DigiCorn, February 22, 2012, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 26, 2012, 11:45:38 AM:rolleyes: boys and their toys! :laugh:

And then there are boy toys. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Joe's a boy toy!

We use to have roku but now netflix comes as an app thru the tv
is that what you guys are talking about?

all kinds of apps on new tv's I might just click on that hulu and pandora button one of these days :laugh:

The TV is my husband's area :laugh:

DigiCorn

Quote from: Tracy on April 26, 2012, 01:49:53 PMWe use to have roku but now netflix comes as an app thru the tv
yup!

Quote from: Tracy on April 26, 2012, 01:49:53 PMThe TV is my husband's area :laugh:
you are a good woman
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Pandora is simply awesome. I actually pay the $36 a year for no commercials. I use it on my phone to and from work, and all day on my work computer. Worth a look.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Tracy

I will check it out! thanks!

I had to ask my husband how to use the remotes to play a dvd the other day :laugh:

t-pat

Quote from: Tracy on April 26, 2012, 01:58:30 PMI will check it out! thanks!

I had to ask my husband how to use the remotes to play a dvd the other day :laugh:

the thing about Pandora is that it's not some random playlist. You create a "station" based off an artist or particular song, and it will play related music based on thousands of parameters, which are manually tagged and categorized by actual humans working for Pandora.

So for example you like Pearl Jam, you're going to hear them, Nirvana, Blind Melon, and everyone that influenced them.

To make it more interesting you can, via  the Pandora website, then customize a station by doing "add variety" - so to your station you based off Pearl Jam you can say add some Johnny Cash - which will mix in some man in black and probably other artists that were influenced by him and vice versa.
vdp donkey

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Quote from: Tracy on April 26, 2012, 01:49:53 PMJoe's a boy toy!

We use to have roku but now netflix comes as an app thru the tv

all kinds of apps on new tv's I might just click on that hulu and pandora button one of these days :laugh:

The TV is my husband's area :laugh:

My TV has internet apps as well but the Roku blows it out of the water. Downloads faster, keeps what I viewed updated in reatime, the TV would take a day to update and far more channels than the very limited ones on the TV.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I go my tv just before apps on a tv became the norm. Mine gets weather and news, but that's it. Directv has a few fairly useless apps also. Roku kicks ass.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 26, 2012, 02:41:06 PMMy TV has internet apps as well but the Roku blows it out of the water. Downloads faster, keeps what I viewed updated in reatime, the TV would take a day to update and far more channels than the very limited ones on the TV.

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 26, 2012, 02:47:05 PMI go my tv just before apps on a tv became the norm. Mine gets weather and news, but that's it. Directv has a few fairly useless apps also. Roku kicks ass.

Ditto!

t-pat

I really should have posted a referral code for Roku when I recommended it, I'd have a free one by now or something.
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on April 26, 2012, 04:12:55 PMI really should have posted a referral code for Roku when I recommended it, I'd have a free one by now or something.

Maybe 2! :laugh:

t-pat

it's enough for me that a) people like something I recommended way back, and are using it and b) Roku didn't pull a d-link or Boxee asshole move and just quit developing rather than moving a good product forward.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

My daughter ripped the "select" button out of my remote. You use that button for everything. I have been getting by using the app on my phone, but it's a PITA if I want to use my phone for something else while watching tv, so I ordered a new remote. Cheapest one I could find was $20. The LT model I'm using only cost $40!
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

I'm thinking of setting up a Private Channel using Roku SDK. It will host my personal collection of movies, tv and whatnot, for personal use. Has anyone else done this?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway