Adobe CC updates only with OSX 10.9 or above

Started by Made in Taiwan, May 01, 2015, 08:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Made in Taiwan

Don't know if all the Adobe CC users on OSX here know this one already: The next major update of the CC requires OSX 10.9 or higher.

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/an-update-creative-cloud-and-support-for-mac-os-x/
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Slappy

Yeah, it's been mentioned but probably buried in another section.

We're back to shopping for machines to replace our old ass Towers that won't be able to handle it - let the debating begin about how little we can spend & still almost do our jobs!!!

:hangme:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

I'm in the same boat. I may have to jump ship from Mac just because of the cost.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

If you stop paying for CC you get to keep the last version that was out from what I was told. So CC 2014 should all stay on your computer as normal if you stop paying the monthly fees.

Farabomb

The issue is the expert designers that need to have the latest and greatest but can't figure out how to save a .imdl file.

or make a decent PDF.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Made in Taiwan

Who wants to pay an amount of money every month for a software, that cannot be updated? In that case you don't need to move away from CS6.

And no, if you stop paying for CC, you won't be able to keep using it. Once you stop the monthly payments, Adobe gives you a few more days to save or resave your files and then your software is expired.

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on May 05, 2015, 06:47:05 AMIf you stop paying for CC you get to keep the last version that was out from what I was told. So CC 2014 should all stay on your computer as normal if you stop paying the monthly fees.

If you sign up for Creative Cloud you agree to a minimum one year contract. You can't just sign up, install the software, and then quit. But yes after that year you can stop paying and keep what you are using at that time. But you won't get any further updates to that version or any future releases.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jv58

As far as I can find, once you cancel your CC subscription, the apps are disabled in 30 days. I cannot find any info from Adobe about keeping whatever version you already have after canceling after a year. Does anyone have any definitive documentation from Adobe about this? Thanks.

Joe

Quote from: jv58 on May 05, 2015, 09:52:32 PMAs far as I can find, once you cancel your CC subscription, the apps are disabled in 30 days. I cannot find any info from Adobe about keeping whatever version you already have after canceling after a year. Does anyone have any definitive documentation from Adobe about this? Thanks.

You know what? I kind of think you are right. I swear when CC was first announced I read something from Adobe that said you could cancel after the first year and keep using the software without restrictions other than not getting updates. But I cannot find that anywhere now and in fact it is worse than just that. Even though you are paying monthly you are still on a yearly contract meaning if you keep it for 13 months and cancel you are on the hook for the whole second year. So once you cancel your software it will return to a 30 day trial and your Cloud features will revert to the free Cloud subscription of 2 GB of storage space in the cloud. And you will be responsible for paying 50% of the monthly fee for the remaining 11 months that you opted out of.

Basically if you have a large library of Adobe files and you cancel your subscription you will still have access to those files but eventually have no way to open them and do anything with them. I guess if you want to quit you better find a way to convert them into something you can use with other software.

Made in Taiwan

Joe, maybe in the USA it is/was possible to use the CC after you stop paying. Here in Taiwan or in my old home Germany it is like jv58 said, they will just disable your applications and you won't be able to use them afterwards unless you subscribe again.

But that makes sence, just think about what a "simple" CS6 Design Standard has cost before (around 1200$?) and what you pay within a year now (12x60$=720$?) - if you could really continue to use it after one year, you would get the Master Edition for below 1000$... That would be a great gift from Adobe.

Farabomb

Joe, I'd be willing to bet that language was there in the beginning but has since been changed. I'd totally expect that from adobe.

You're not buying anything, just leasing the use.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on May 05, 2015, 10:55:30 PM
Quote from: jv58 on May 05, 2015, 09:52:32 PMAs far as I can find, once you cancel your CC subscription, the apps are disabled in 30 days. I cannot find any info from Adobe about keeping whatever version you already have after canceling after a year. Does anyone have any definitive documentation from Adobe about this? Thanks.

You know what? I kind of think you are right. I swear when CC was first announced I read something from Adobe that said you could cancel after the first year and keep using the software without restrictions other than not getting updates. But I cannot find that anywhere now and in fact it is worse than just that. Even though you are paying monthly you are still on a yearly contract meaning if you keep it for 13 months and cancel you are on the hook for the whole second year. So once you cancel your software it will return to a 30 day trial and your Cloud features will revert to the free Cloud subscription of 2 GB of storage space in the cloud. And you will be responsible for paying 50% of the monthly fee for the remaining 11 months that you opted out of.

Basically if you have a large library of Adobe files and you cancel your subscription you will still have access to those files but eventually have no way to open them and do anything with them. I guess if you want to quit you better find a way to convert them into something you can use with other software.

I could have swore I saw that as well, which is why I said what I said. Like you I can find nothing about it. I have a friend who uses Adobe CC, thought he mentioned he had canceled, I will see if he was able to use 2014 still or had to go back to CS6.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on May 06, 2015, 08:56:04 AMI could have swore I saw that as well, which is why I said what I said. Like you I can find nothing about it. I have a friend who uses Adobe CC, thought he mentioned he had canceled, I will see if he was able to use 2014 still or had to go back to CS6.

See? We can't both be crazy!

I think what I may be remembering is that when they came out with CC that CS6 was the current version and people up until that point had the perpetual license and they might have had it in an FAQ somewhere that you could cancel CC and go back to using CS6 as long as you wanted/could run with the old license. Now CS6 isn't even offered with CC as you only get the last two versions through CC.

The big issue now seems to be that if you quit CC you still have all of your old files with no way to open them once your 30 day trial expires after canceling. Plus you have that whole 50% per month penalty of the monthly fee you have left on your yearly contract.

David

Quote from: Joe on May 06, 2015, 10:40:02 AMSee? We can't both be crazy!

yes you can, and you can add me to the list. I coulda swore I saw that as well.
good thing I stuck to CS5 at home...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca