News:

Main Menu

Global change question

Started by Adriano, March 13, 2008, 05:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 24, 2008, 02:11:15 PMWell, he's quick... here is what he has to say...

Okay, here's a snippet of the message from Enfocus explaining the process.

Quote:
The reason this happens is that we do a convert color instead of a remap color. What we actually do in the background is translate CMYK to gray and the convert it to the spot color you want.

If possible, i.e. when the object has a single colorant (e.g. spot or gray) changing it to a spot on the inspector preserves the tint value. This allows e.g. 50% gray to be remapped to 50% pantone or one spot to another spot.

But if the object is not a single colorant (e.g. CMYK, RGB, etc.) we want to be able to preserve the relative difference in color. E.g. if you have a CMYK "shading" made from line art or e.g. our Enfocus logo with green and black pieces) we expected that you didn't want them all to become the same color. Hence the current implementation.

If you do want them to have the same color, you just need to move the slider bar to 100%. And yes, this is sometimes an additional click, but we thought that losing the color differences when going from grays to spot was worse.

End Quote

Dear Enfocus,

That sucks!

Yours Truly,
Joe
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Well, sounds like the "logical conversion path" I figured must be lurking in there.  Looking like you can't have your cake and eat it too. But...maybe if they were to chuck in an extra dialogue box to ask you if you want "greyed" conversion or "solid", might be a nice option. In version 7.51?  "Real soon now!"  [apologies to IBM].   :shrug:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 24, 2008, 07:47:43 PMWell, sounds like the "logical conversion path" I figured must be lurking in there.  Looking like you can't have your cake and eat it too. But...maybe if they were to chuck in an extra dialogue box to ask you if you want "greyed" conversion or "solid", might be a nice option. In version 7.51?  "Real soon now!"  [apologies to IBM].   :shrug:

I just noticed over the weekend the latest version is now 7.52 and it still works the same way.

Hey Enfocus, I did not ask for "convert to gray and then change to spot". I asked for REMAP COLOR!!! :angry:

The action script that ENFOCUS created is named REMAP COLOR...not CONVERT TO GRAY AND CHANGE TO SPOT!!!

Some things just really piss me off!!!!!!!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Joe, I think when I said I have done this before, it was in Neo. I wish I could talk the boss into getting it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Yes, In NEO, remap color really does remap a color. Same company, different results.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  on March 24, 2008, 10:39:37 PMYes, In NEO, remap color really does remap a color. Same company, different results.

Joe, I am not at work right now, so I can't test this, but, in the Cyan instance, couldn't you remap the cyan to black, then to the spot via remap color? I mean if the values of cyan would hold true to the black conversion...
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

It converts the 100% Cyan to 30% Black, just like the spot. :angry:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  on March 24, 2008, 10:51:22 PMIt converts the 100% Cyan to 30% Black, just like the spot. :angry:

Damn. I am bound and determined to find a workaround for this...

I'll keep you posted.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Quote from: Joe  on March 24, 2008, 09:02:43 PM
Quote from: frailer on March 24, 2008, 07:47:43 PMWell, sounds like the "logical conversion path" I figured must be lurking in there.  Looking like you can't have your cake and eat it too. But...maybe if they were to chuck in an extra dialogue box to ask you if you want "greyed" conversion or "solid", might be a nice option. In version 7.51?  "Real soon now!"  [apologies to IBM].   :shrug:

I just noticed over the weekend the latest version is now 7.52 and it still works the same way.

Hey Enfocus, I did not ask for "convert to gray and then change to spot". I asked for REMAP COLOR!!! :angry:

The action script that ENFOCUS created is named REMAP COLOR...not CONVERT TO GRAY AND CHANGE TO SPOT!!!

I take it back. Your logic is right. It's an [illogical] sidestep, for what?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 24, 2008, 11:07:32 PM
Quote from: Joe  on March 24, 2008, 09:02:43 PM

I take it back. Your logic is right. It's an [illogical] sidestep, for what?

Ya got me mate...Enfocus thinks they know best. They don't.