auto resize of type to stay in a text box?

Started by delooch, June 14, 2019, 03:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

ok so i have this variable data project, there is one field of type that i need to somehow resize itself automatically to stay within a pre-sized text box.

the text box is static and cannot resize, so i have to go back manually and reduce the font size to fit.  thinking there is a way to do this automatically like it does graphics?

AaronH

Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

delooch

Quote from: AaronH on June 14, 2019, 04:10:05 PM
I don't know for sure if this script will work but you could give it a try...

http://in-tools.com/article/scripts-blog/fun-with-text-fitting-in-indesign/

that looks like it would do it, ill give it a try, thanks!

seratne

Here's how to do it using grep styles:

https://colecandoo.com/2012/02/18/square-pegs-now-fit-into-round-holes/

Depending on the amount of text you have though, it's going to be a pain. But, that's really the only way I know of without moving to an actual variable data plugin or program.

delooch

Quote from: seratne on June 17, 2019, 09:26:11 AM
Here's how to do it using grep styles:

https://colecandoo.com/2012/02/18/square-pegs-now-fit-into-round-holes/

Depending on the amount of text you have though, it's going to be a pain. But, that's really the only way I know of without moving to an actual variable data plugin or program.

Thanks, i tried this but it seems like the long way around with his grep technique.  Seems to work, but creating that script is going to be a pain in the ass.

Ive got emails that are 35+ characters i have to cram into 1.5". Told the client ist going to be 4pt type or less at that size but they want to roll with it anyway.  doubt its even going to be legible.

I have the other script from in-tools.com loaded, but it doesnt seem to work correctly in my version of indesign. it looks like it was created for cs5.

theres one more pay script for $40, i might give it a try. this is the intitial run for our airports dept, theyve changed logos again and there are like 200+ employees with new card setups.  Ive been using VDP which facilitates things greatly, but im getting overflow on a lot of cards and i have to go back and manually resize...

one more thing id like to add, im sure this happens a lot.

the fuc*#ing designer used 3 sample names for the layout&design.  All of which are extremely short in characters.  The first long email or title it caught threw the entire layout off.    Really odd because the person spearheading this job has a really long hyphenated last name, its the first to fail the layout. Not sure why the designer didnt proof a sample with her name on it.

fuck vertical business cards.

Mikie

Try this out Delooch. I included instructions. If you need help let me know.

delooch

Quote from: Mikie on June 18, 2019, 10:28:05 AM
Try this out Delooch. I included instructions. If you need help let me know.

Thanks, I will give this a try!

seratne

Forgot to mention I believe InDesign scripts can't be called at merge time. So you'll need to merge to a new InDesign document and then run any scripts from there, then export your PDF.

Mikie

Sorry I meant to add if you need to change the minimum poit size before it stops, it is on line 19. I have it set for 3 point in that version.

Good luck!