Any Dropbox users?

Started by Syphon, January 13, 2011, 08:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent_orange

frailer

Thanks agent_orange. Yep, headspin day yesterday... that now makes sense.

Cheers!
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Slappy

Quote from: Slappy on January 20, 2011, 12:38:08 PMI figured out how to link a Common DropBox on our end with the client's DropBox, so all they have to do is upload the file locally to their DropBox, and it zooms across to ours instantly, like a poor man's FTP. I've also gotten it to use the RSS feeds within DropBox to send notifications to a specific email on my end whenever a transfer is completed. Bad ASS! I'll outline those steps if any body else is interested. Assuming a client already has their DropBox set up, it's not much work at all for them to get it going.

This might be a good way to get regular files Frailer. I'll work on outlining the set-up if ya like, just say the word.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

frailer

Quote from: Slappy on February 17, 2011, 03:29:45 PM
Quote from: Slappy on January 20, 2011, 12:38:08 PMI figured out how to link a Common DropBox on our end with the client's DropBox, so all they have to do is upload the file locally to their DropBox, and it zooms across to ours instantly, like a poor man's FTP. I've also gotten it to use the RSS feeds within DropBox to send notifications to a specific email on my end whenever a transfer is completed. Bad ASS! I'll outline those steps if any body else is interested. Assuming a client already has their DropBox set up, it's not much work at all for them to get it going.

This might be a good way to get regular files Frailer. I'll work on outlining the set-up if ya like, just say the word.

Thanks, a little frantic Friday morning here. But shall revisit.   :cool:

...better still, would you outline the steps here, if you have time? Maybe some screenshots? Don't want much, do I?    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Slappy

See how this works for ya, it may sound worse than it really is to get set up. If both you & the client have Dropbox Accounts you're half way there. I'll start from scratch though.

1. Create a new Dropbox account for your shop, register it to an email application that can preferably manage RSS Feeds. Thunderbird, Outlook, etc. Or if you have an RSS Reader that's fine too.

2. Have your Client create a Shared Folder in their Dropbox, name it something like Designer_PrintingCompany so it's easily identifiable to both of you.

3. Have the Client send an Invite to the Shared Folder to your email, the one that's associated with your Dropbox Account.

Once you accept, you should both see the same Shared Folder, and all they have to do is drop the file(s) into that Shared Folder in their local Dropbox Directory. (Or, upload them online if they're at a remote location, either will work.) Should look something like this locally:

So, now the files will automatically transfer to your Dropbox. But, how do you know there are new jobs without them having to email you? The magic of RSS feeds!

Go to dropbox.com, log in and then select the tab titled "Events", then on the LEFT pane, select that Shared Folder that was created previously. At the bottom there's a link named "Subscribe to this feed" and it has the orange RSS icon:

From here you'll have to follow instructions from your email application or RSS Reader on how to add an RSS feed, but once you're in the Shared Folder location on the DropBox page, right click that RSS icon and Copy Link Location. That's where you'll want to point the RSS Reader or email application to watch for new events. An time there's ANY activity, you'll know.

The only down side I've found so far is that if you have several clients using this set up, they'll all need their own RSS feeds. The RSS thing is completely optional, I guess most clients will still email when a transfer is made, but it's geeky as hell to get auto-notifications!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

frailer

Thanks, Slappy. Shall check this out later...     :cool:

David

very nicely done Slappy!

thanks!

:goodpost:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Quote from: agent_orange on January 14, 2011, 11:18:09 PMairdropper is great if you work with people that are too dumb to figure out ftp. it sends them an email, they choose the files and it automatically uploads to your dropbox in a specific folder of your choosing. good stuff...
http://lifehacker.com/search/airdropper/

Got back on this one (Airdropper).. Tested with an in-house guy...worked a treat. Can't say I'll use it a lot, but could be very handy.

Printfun

Agreed Frailer. I have used Airdropper a couple of times now, and it worked well. It definitely has it's place for the right situations.