Illustrator Open/Save Fix

Started by NefariousDrO, November 16, 2011, 12:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NefariousDrO

I'm not sure how many of you may have run into this, but my copy of Illustrator CS4 got so that its open/save operations could take upwards of 30 seconds to complete. The weird thing was that the file would be wherever I was saving almost immediately, but Illy would take forever to decide it was finished. After hunting around for a while I discovered a post on Apple's own forums for this very issue (dates all the way back to CS3, but still pops up with 5.5, apparently) What you do is open Adobe Bridge (even if you never use it) and go to the file menu/open recent and down at the bottom of the of the list is "clear menu". Suddenly saves and opens take only a second or two. Weird bug, nobody knows why it happens.

David

:goodpost:    great tip!

thanks for the heads up!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Ditto, I'm passing the good word as we speak type.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

DigiCorn

Just cleared it out myself Thanks!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

I disabled Bridge out of the box... no need for it. Maybe that's why I have not seen this problem. Good tip, though.
Member #285 - Civilian

NefariousDrO

That's what surprised me about this, I've never had this problem until now, and Bridge was disabled on this machine. I had to enable it in order to clear that cache.

frailer

Awaiting the next play, from the bleachers...   :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: NefariousDrO on November 16, 2011, 02:11:41 PMThat's what surprised me about this, I've never had this problem until now, and Bridge was disabled on this machine. I had to enable it in order to clear that cache.

Interesting. I work in AI daily, too much if I was asked. I'll look out for it, but something like that would bug the shit out of me. My Bridge is disabled as well. You running Snow Leopard?
Member #285 - Civilian

NefariousDrO

I think it's a pretty rare issue. I've never encountered it on my home machine or any other work machines (6 or 8, at a guess) until now. If you haven't encountered it I'd guess you probably won't. The one machine that runs into this has to have that menu cleared about twice a week, so when it's bad it's really bad.

andyfest

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 16, 2011, 01:25:47 PMI disabled Bridge out of the box... no need for it. Maybe that's why I have not seen this problem. Good tip, though.
Same here - never experienced that particular issue.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro