5 color with black overprint

Started by rickself, November 17, 2011, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

Need some information about printing 4 color plus spot with black type and black shadows overprinting. We have a 40" 6 color Komori.
In my logical way of thinking, the black will have to go down last so as to overprint the spot color, correct? I'm getting blank looks from the rest of the crew. Black type is too small to trap and needs to overprint. So my logic says that the spot color has to go down before the black.
Rick
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

David

if it's overprinting, there should not be any trapping. Let the press room decide the lay down order for the colors, and if they do it wrong, it's their nickel.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

your logic is correct. If the spot is a fairly transparent color you might get away with putting it on top of the black but I'd advise against it. Press crew will likely need to move inks around and do some washup to get there. Seen a lot of jobs bounce or get reprinted because they didn't take this step so just tell them they gotta suck it up.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Skryber

My husband is a pressman and he is constantly changing ink sequence depending on the spot color and the artwork. What's the spot color anyway? Putting black down last may mess up print in another area on the sheet so it's always job dependent.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Farabomb

The pressmen should really be the ones that know how the press likes it. Yes, logically I would think black goes down last but it's actually the opposite. You want the black down on the white substrate first, if you lay down the colors first the black will pick up the reflective cast of the colors below it.

At least that's how we do it here.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

rickself

We have 2 jobs, both 5 color. One is 485 Red, the other is blue 2925.
I'd say they have to move the black to the last position. I'll let them hash it around in the pressroom.
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

t-pat

if you're overprinting, you're overprinting. That's why it's called OVERprinting not underprinting.
For shits and giggles see how black looks underneath PMS 877 and you'll know what's up. Just sayin, I've seen this fail too many times where the pms was fairly opaque.
vdp donkey

Skryber

Yeah, let them hash it out. My husband has run sequences that made no sense. Yellows 1st, metallics last. Just make a note that says "Sequence=Pressman's Choice." Otherwise they'll be coming in there saying WTF?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

t-pat

so thinking that the pressman always knows best leads where?  :lmao:

With those particular colors I don't expect you'll have a big problem. See what a nice dense yellow pms looks like on top of black - turns it turd brown. Metallics just wash out the black if on top.

Just don't let them trick you into reworking the file somehow if it doesn't lay down as expected, it'll be the sequence not the trapping or whatever that will make it not good.

Been there, done that, got the sippy cup to prove it.
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: rickself on November 17, 2011, 12:24:18 PMWe have 2 jobs, both 5 color. One is 485 Red, the other is blue 2925.
I'd say they have to move the black to the last position. I'll let them hash it around in the pressroom.

Tell Jason to make it work... do I need to have a talk with him? :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

rickself

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 17, 2011, 12:37:28 PM
Quote from: rickself on November 17, 2011, 12:24:18 PMWe have 2 jobs, both 5 color. One is 485 Red, the other is blue 2925.

Ya really! I think I have made my point.
But if they really want to I'll let them hang plates in whatever order they want and let them wash up before getting it right. When the boss gets back, I'll let him make the call...in my favor I am sure. You know the boxes, DCS. Everpet Red and Blue - we're printing 5 color this time.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: rickself on November 17, 2011, 01:08:04 PM

But if they really want to I'll let them hang plates in whatever order they want and let them wash up before getting it right. When the boss gets back, I'll let him make the call...in my favor I am sure. You know the boxes, DCS. Everpet Red and Blue - we're printing 5 color this time.

Has Everpet given you working AI files? I always got flattened PDFs. Hated that job. OUCH! 5-color? YUCK!
Member #285 - Civilian

rickself

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 17, 2011, 01:15:41 PM
Quote from: rickself on November 17, 2011, 01:08:04 PM

Has Everpet given you working AI files? I always got flattened PDFs. Hated that job. OUCH! 5-color? YUCK!
Yep. We're going 5 color because they can't seem to keep the color consistent and there's too much waste - at least that's what came down the pipeline. But then, I'm just a prepress guy!