Make no mistake about Typekit

Started by Joe, July 11, 2014, 03:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

in that is SUCKS.

Piss poor selection of fonts available for print and most of what is there does not contain the whole set. For example most only contain regular and bold or regular and italic. I think I can find most of them as freeware fonts. Adobe leads you to believe that you have access to the entire Adobe Font Library. Not even close. But they will generously sell you the Adobe Font Folio library for a cool $3K.

And we have a "team" account for our 14 users. Each account is only allowed to have 100 typekit fonts synced at a time. A regular iteration of a typeface is one, a bold version would be two etc...

What a RIPOFF Adobe! Guess we'll keep trying to use our postscript fonts that were created in the early 90's. :death:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Since I can't really run CC to it's full potential yet, I have not had to use Typekit. My co-worker has, and it's a complete nightmare. With all the font resources around, and all the crap out there, it seems to me, that one more place to get fonts is utterly absurd. I'm not a huge fan of cloud-based apps... it just convolutes the process that much more. So, what happens when you get the typical catalog or magazine with 400 fonts? Output one page at a time? Jesus Christ!!!

Desingers love flashy new apps and cluttering up space with life-changing text, (give me a break.) So now, Adobe has accommodated them with another way to make our jobs that much more complicated. I have to access typekit instead of a simple fonts folder and that just goes to show... Adobe cares more about creating shit, than actually reproducing that same shit.

Where's the Gnub with her famous line when you need her?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 11, 2014, 05:57:34 PMSince I can't really run CC to it's full potential yet, I have not had to use Typekit. My co-worker has, and it's a complete nightmare. With all the font resources around, and all the crap out there, it seems to me, that one more place to get fonts is utterly absurd. I'm not a huge fan of cloud-based apps... it just convolutes the process that much more. So, what happens when you get the typical catalog or magazine with 400 fonts? Output one page at a time? Jesus Christ!!!

Desingers love flashy new apps and cluttering up space with life-changing text, (give me a break.) So now, Adobe has accommodated them with another way to make our jobs that much more complicated. I have to access typekit instead of a simple fonts folder and that just goes to show... Adobe cares more about creating shit, than actually reproducing that same shit.

Where's the Gnub with her famous line when you need her?

I'll tell you what Adobe will tell you to do. Bastards! Only $400 per month per user to maximize your life changing fonts. :sarcasm:

DigitalCrapShoveler

WOW! I'm starting to agree with F-Bomb about the life changing. :shoots_self:
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'm kind of glad Gnub ain't here right now... she would lamb-baste me on some of my grammatical errors. It's been a while. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 11, 2014, 05:57:34 PMSince I can't really run CC to it's full potential yet, I have not had to use Typekit. My co-worker has, and it's a complete nightmare.

I'll step in for Gnub - your first instance of "it's" should really be "its" since it is possessive. Using the apostrophe makes it a contraction for "it is" as you have properly done in the second instance of the above quote.  :wink:
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DCurry on July 12, 2014, 11:20:49 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 11, 2014, 05:57:34 PMSince I can't really run CC to it's full potential yet, I have not had to use Typekit. My co-worker has, and it's a complete nightmare.

I'll step in for Gnub - your first instance of "it's" should really be "its" since it is possessive. Using the apostrophe makes it a contraction for "it is" as you have properly done in the second instance of the above quote.  :wink:

Yes, I know. Thank you, SOOOO much for that. :tongue:

It will take me a little bit to get back into the swing of things. Minus writing for myself, I haven't had to write posts or type anything of length in a long time; it seems like an eternity. I appreciate the lesson I have had hammered into my skull since day one on here, and thank you for taking up for the Gnub. I miss her.

Asshole. :hello:
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Glad to be of service.

By the way, can I have your shirt?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DCurry on July 12, 2014, 12:21:01 PMGlad to be of service.

By the way, can I have your shirt?

Of course. PM me your address.
Member #285 - Civilian

Syphon

I presume that if you go package a InDesign document, that it will NOT package any Typekit fonts?
Would that mean that when a client sends us a InDesign file that we would need Typekit from our CC?
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Syphon on July 13, 2014, 09:31:38 AMI presume that if you go package a InDesign document, that it will NOT package any Typekit fonts?
Would that mean that when a client sends us a InDesign file that we would need Typekit from our CC?

Yep.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Jeezuz. I think it's time I jumped and pulled the rip-cord.    :sad:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Slappy

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 13, 2014, 10:48:24 AM
Quote from: Syphon on July 13, 2014, 09:31:38 AMI presume that if you go package a InDesign document, that it will NOT package any Typekit fonts?

Yep.
And when we balk and tell the clients to supply the fonts "normally" then what? We haven't seen any Typekit dependent jobs yet, but I guess it's only a matter of time. Over my pay grade to worry about too, wo - whatevs!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Slappy on July 13, 2014, 08:35:15 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 13, 2014, 10:48:24 AM

Yep.
And when we balk and tell the clients to supply the fonts "normally" then what? We haven't seen any Typekit dependent jobs yet, but I guess it's only a matter of time. Over my pay grade to worry about too, wo - whatevs!

Yes, Slappy... it's coming, sooner than later. There will be no supplying fonts, "normally".
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Just for my own peace of mind I created an ID document and packaged it. It will NOT package typekit fonts.