Distiller doesn't generate PDF, then beachballs

Started by Thorzdad, April 17, 2008, 12:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Ah I see. I knew Windows was retarded, now I know YOU are retarded...therefore am I now a tard too?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

doubting_thomas

Quote from: Thorzdad on April 17, 2008, 01:39:54 PMninja...Good question. Normally, I generate my PDFs straight out of Illustrator.
However, a small printer I've started working with is having issues importing my PDFs into Quark.
I've dorked-around with every setting in Illustrator, to no avail.

If they're using Quark it might be a good move to just export an .eps
file for them to use.

ninjaPB_43

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on April 17, 2008, 02:16:13 PMHey, I have a (possibly) similar issue with the Windows "Print to file" option in any non-Adobe application I want to output a .ps file from. So say I wanted to create Postscript from Firefox - here's a real life example, wanting to create a distilled PDF from a Paris Hilton screenshot - I do this all the time:

So I check "print to file" with Adobe PDF as the printer, and then this dialog pops up:

"Output file name". So I name it and off it goes, never to be found again. I've checked the properties of my Adobe PDF printer and see nowhere to designate a file path for .ps files. Where are they going?

Type in C:\mypdfs\gnublerluvsparis.pdf and it will create a folder on the C:\ drive named mypdfs and then it will put the print file in there.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Ok, cool - wasn't aware you could type a file path there. Many thanks.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

ninjaPB_43

wow, learn something new everyday..  I didnt know you could type in a path either..   thanks joe..
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: doubting_thomas on April 17, 2008, 03:21:21 PM
Quote from: Thorzdad on April 17, 2008, 01:39:54 PMninja...Good question. Normally, I generate my PDFs straight out of Illustrator.
However, a small printer I've started working with is having issues importing my PDFs into Quark.
I've dorked-around with every setting in Illustrator, to no avail.

If they're using Quark it might be a good move to just export an .eps
file for them to use.

I think this is a great idea, IF the small printer is local, so you can pass off a disk to or FTP. The reason being, depending on the content and if there are placed images, exporting from AI as an .eps can produce massive files, especially if they are flattened. If the small printer is not local, and you can't mail it or FTP, you might want to supply a PDF for it's compression, a 1.4 PDF. But... saving it as an .eps would definitely be my way of choice.
Member #285 - Civilian

Thorzdad

I'm not sure which version of Quark he's using. Nothing recent, though.
One of the errors he was getting with my Illustrator-generated PDFs was typecheck:CCRUN. Some kind of postscript error.

Yesterday afternoon, for some unknown reason, Distiller decided to start playing nice and actually produce PDFs without beachballing. These PDFs made Quark happy so, I guess things are good for now. I would still love to know why the Illustrator-generated PDFs are making Quark choke, though. Both the Illy PDFs and the Distiller PDFs were made to the same version (1.4)

Joe

Quote from: Thorzdad on April 18, 2008, 05:31:15 AMI'm not sure which version of Quark he's using. Nothing recent, though.
One of the errors he was getting with my Illustrator-generated PDFs was typecheck:CCRUN. Some kind of postscript error.

Yesterday afternoon, for some unknown reason, Distiller decided to start playing nice and actually produce PDFs without beachballing. These PDFs made Quark happy so, I guess things are good for now. I would still love to know why the Illustrator-generated PDFs are making Quark choke, though. Both the Illy PDFs and the Distiller PDFs were made to the same version (1.4)

Quark is just not PDF friendly. You are lucky if you can get a 1.4 PDF made from either Illustrator or Distiller 6 to work in Quark. Quark's PDF import ONLY supports up to PDF 1.3. A 1.4 PDF can have transparency in it from either Illy or InDesign which will choke it to death. When you make a PS it flattens all transparency and Quark might be able to use it. My only sure method for generating a PDF that will work in Quark is to make PS and distill with Distiller 4.0. Anything after that is a crap shoot.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Thorzdad on April 18, 2008, 05:31:15 AMI'm not sure which version of Quark he's using. Nothing recent, though.

The more I'm finding out about Distilled/Illy/PhotoShop PDFs, the less similar they look. They definitely wear different overcoats, and behave differently. Am not surprised, specially vis-a-vis Quack.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

Quote from: Pointyhat on April 17, 2008, 07:13:12 PM
Quote from: Lucius on April 17, 2008, 02:55:44 PMc:\document_name.ps
<------- OOOOOOOOhhhhh Lookie Matt's HERE!

Haaaahahahaaaaa! That's what I thought too! heeheee  :ninja:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

pdboddy

Could there have been some issue with the "Watched folder" feature?  Did you try just dragging and dropping the .ps into Distiller directly?

Lucius

Quote from: Earendil on May 08, 2008, 03:09:53 PM
Quote from: Pointyhat on April 17, 2008, 07:13:12 PM
Quote from: Lucius on April 17, 2008, 02:55:44 PMc:\document_name.ps
<------- OOOOOOOOhhhhh Lookie Matt's HERE!

Haaaahahahaaaaa! That's what I thought too! heeheee  :ninja:

you say it like this is a new trick or something. this has been around since windows 95 or 98. wasnt it matt that wrote it on ppf?

Ear

I know! Where the hell is Matt? I miss that dude.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black