News:

Main Menu

rgb images to cmyk

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, May 13, 2011, 08:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Bit of a pig-in-a-poke. Good luck.   :azn:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

pspdfppdfxhd

think we decided, for now, to do the cmyk conversions before the rip can screw it up. Can be done well exporting the pdf from Indesign and the artists are cooperating with us.

We'll just leave the rip conversions on the back burner for now I suppose.

And it's about a 5 year old Harlequin rip version 7.1 or so which can apparently handle transparency but I'm not sure I'd trust an older rip to do that either.

frailer

Ok, you will be in the twilight zone a bit, then, if it's that old. You're treading the safer route. Sounds like it won't be APPE, but I wonder what an upgrade to their APPE might cost, from your version?   :undecided:   If that's possible, of course. Depending on upgrade cost, (which of course your boss may not want to do), a move to APPE would be good. Many PostScript era issues are just a memory for us now. Trouble is, bosses don't realise the opportunity-cost saving in pp time. And reprint cost...when transparency goes wrong.
Curious. Report back.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

pspdfppdfxhd

I will report back for sure. I'm assuming that the APPE is the adobe print engine?

And..... life would be dull without the postscript woes....I mean how could I live without that sweet frustration? I think many of us just enjoy pain and wouldn't know how to live a stress free life. And I'm not kidding!

frailer

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 14, 2011, 03:49:37 PMI will report back for sure. I'm assuming that the APPE is the adobe print engine?

And..... life would be dull without the postscript woes....I mean how could I live without that sweet frustration? I think many of us just enjoy pain and wouldn't know how to live a stress free life. And I'm not kidding!

managing OK this end. More time to think about guitars 'n stuff.   :laugh:   Yeah, that's the no-PostScript Adobe PDF Print Engine, as they like to call it. If it is, you won't know yourself. But it may not be. At that age, it was just starting to enter the market, as I recall.   :undecided:

mattbeals

It can definitely handle the RGB to CMYK conversion in the page setups and the color management setu. Not Sure if you need a license for the ICC setup or not. But there is a separations manager where you can set it up like the old PhotoShop custom CMYK settings. I think by default that the HQ RIP will convert to CMY only.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on May 15, 2011, 03:15:18 PMMore time to think about guitars 'n stuff.

What kind of stuff?  :huh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

mattbeals

Since it's a Harlequin RIP there is no APPE in it. HQ makes their own interpreters. They had a PDF native RIP before Adobe. V7.1 should RIP the pages just fine. You'll have to test though. The v8 RIP is much more efficient and well with the upgrade. If you need a quote on the upgrade let me know or contact Alvaro or Michael at Compose and yellow them I sent you.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

I'd forgotten about their independent path on the interpreter. Pspdf may be travelling OK then.   :undecided:

pspdfppdfxhd

Looks like it's a "Navigator 8" rip unless they emailed me the wrong manual.

navigator is Harlequin? No time to check now, have to see later.

pspdfppdfxhd

yep, it's from Harlequin circa 2008. Maybe we'll have a fighting chance then.

G_Town

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 16, 2011, 10:16:39 AMLooks like it's a "Navigator 8" rip unless they emailed me the wrong manual.

navigator is Harlequin? No time to check now, have to see later.

Yep.

frailer

Things just keep getting better and better for you there, pspdsf....   :laugh:

beermonster

i had the same system - xitron navigator v7 - when we got it it was the latest version. not many issues really - matts right though you might need some kinda "license" to unlock some features in the page set up manager. only ever had minor issues with transparency rendering so it should be ok - i hope!  there should be a drop down with a cmyk "profile" dropdown for conversions in there though - i've been away from it for a year now and due to old age i forget :)

i did use compose a few years back and to be honest they were crap. worse than that. we had proofing issues via their express rip and their so called "top boys" couldnt solve it. then they just "forgot" about us and left us to sink. so i'm not a fan of compose.

and one of the original developers of the HQ rip lives about 20 miles from me - does that help?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

mattbeals

Beer, the Express RIP is the Harlequin RIP so it shouldn't be "crap". I don't know who you local contacts were but over here in the States Alvaro and Michael are great guys to work with.
Matt Beals