News:

Main Menu

Merge CMY into K

Started by DCurry, September 05, 2012, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Ok - if merging in DotSpy, drop the folder containing the tiffs you want to merge into DotSpy. Then go to the File menu: File/Save Selection Merged. It will ask you where you want to locate the merged tiff, then create a merged tiff with "merged" in the name. I also check the Prefs in DotSpy and pick the compression that I want for the tiff - usually I just save "as input file" (see attached screenshots).
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

RMPrepress

In the very very rare instance that pitstop doesn't fix this and you really want to get the file right we will try saving as .ps and then redistilling to pdf then try pitstop again or try the convert colors palette in Acrobat ...but be careful...be very careful and select Convert colors to output intent, then choose the Dot gain 20% and check off preserve black. This will change all cmyk images and type to grayscale but if you have K text make sure it is all cmyk K and not grayscale K or it will get screened back....OUCH!

We have Pitstop 11 on all of our workstations now and it runs better than ever, with many more options for fixing the junk we get from customers. We also have Pitstop Server 11 and if you have a high volume of these crap pdfs it works real fast and is very reliable.

Or just fix with dotspy.... :laugh:
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 9.5 and Kodak Proofing System 10.0
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

DCurry

So, if I do the Dotspy method, since the 1-bit tiffs are already screened, won't it essentially give me a grayscalerosette pattern?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DCurry

Quote from: frailer on September 05, 2012, 06:34:44 PMFWIW, which may be nothing, I always use Preflight>Fixups>Convert to Gray in Acrobat. Seems to work when PitStop and other tricks fail.

This did the trick!

I'm still working on getting some sample pages to post for everyone' experimentation. I keep forgetting my thumb drive.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

andyfest

Quote from: DCurry on September 10, 2012, 05:08:52 PMSo, if I do the Dotspy method, since the 1-bit tiffs are already screened, won't it essentially give me a grayscalerosette pattern?
Ummmmm.....yes.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DCurry

Then that's not what I want to do - that would look weird. No matter, as mentioned above I resolved the issue using Acrobat's built-in preflight fixups.

DCurry

Here's a page from the PDF for anyone who wants to see what's going on. I was using Acrobat 8.2.1 with Pitstop 7.51. I do have a newer version (Pitstop 10, update 3), but haven't been using it because I dislike Acrobat X's interface. I did not try to convert to gray with the newer one - just the older one.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33794637/grayweird.pdf

Lammy

Quote from: DCurry on September 07, 2012, 03:03:14 PM... in my mind, if you set up a good workflow to convert and/or merge crap like this, you just always use it and save yourself some headaches....

You would be correct sir.
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on September 12, 2012, 03:04:33 PMHere's a page from the PDF for anyone who wants to see what's going on. I was using Acrobat 8.2.1 with Pitstop 7.51. I do have a newer version (Pitstop 10, update 3), but haven't been using it because I dislike Acrobat X's interface. I did not try to convert to gray with the newer one - just the older one.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33794637/grayweird.pdf

Yeah, that is weird. Latest Pitstop doesn't touch it. Acrobat Preflight "Convert to Gray" works though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

It's got something to do with the text being a form. I haven't got it completely figured out yet.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 12, 2012, 05:36:40 PMIt's got something to do with the text being a form. I haven't got it completely figured out yet.

Yeah, I noticed that. Running the Pitstop convert to grayscale action does nothing. If you close the PDF after running it it doesn't even asked you to save it so it's just completely ignoring Pitstop.

DigitalCrapShoveler

After I run convert colors and preserve blacks in Acrobat, I can then use Pitstop and Select Similar Objects to get the rest. I'm trying to figure out why Pitstop is having a problem. The form is in a clipping mask, even when I cut it out, it still will not treat the form as an object that converts. There has to be something preventing it...
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Interesting enough, I CAN change it to a spot color through Pitstop.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

It's got something to do with transparency in the form. If you select the form and tell it to "Remove transparency from the selection" it is automatically just in the black channel. Don't even have to convert to gray after that.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Really? I'll check it out. I didn't see any transparency on first look.
Member #285 - Civilian