DXF to Illustrator CS3 Size Issue

Started by SA, March 05, 2008, 09:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SA

Has anyone out their experienced size issues when opening a DXF file into Illustrator CS3. Say you have a 50mm x 50mm square inside a DXF file and you open that file in Illustrator CS2, you will get a 50x50 square.

Now open the same DXF file in CS3 and the square now measures 49.804 x 49.804. With a small little square being out by 0.196 is not important, but when working with a stepped up die drawing it becomes a bit of a problem. Is there anyone that has come across this yet?

Thanks
SA
Riding a scooter is like riding a fat chick. Fun to do but just not in front of your friends.

David

you on a Mac or PC?

my tale:
kinda weird, but the last DXF file I got last week, opened it in CS2, was all screwed up, opened the same file in CS3 and it was fine.

dunno, go figure.

I have a little CAD program (freeware crap) on my PC that I use to check these guys with when we have trouble. So I knew what it was supposed to be, so when it got opened in CS2 I knew there was something wrong, tried CS3 just for giggles and voila!

that's just me, your mileage my vary.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: SA on March 05, 2008, 09:01:12 AMHas anyone out their experienced size issues when opening a DXF file into Illustrator CS3. Say you have a 50mm x 50mm square inside a DXF file and you open that file in Illustrator CS2, you will get a 50x50 square.

Now open the same DXF file in CS3 and the square now measures 49.804 x 49.804. With a small little square being out by 0.196 is not important, but when working with a stepped up die drawing it becomes a bit of a problem. Is there anyone that has come across this yet?

Thanks
SA

I work with DXF files occassionally and I have not come across this. I usually set up Dies, export them as DXF and send them to the Die-Maker. When I read your post I was intrigued. So, I duplicated the steps you took above... same thing. I guess I have never been nailed with it because I make custom Dies for custom boxes, I make a Die, center it in the file and apply a clipping mask numerically, so the image is exactly in the place I want it, for exportation to ID. When I send the Die, I can't think of a time I stroked the outer edge of the artboard.

I'm wondering if the file was set up on a say 60mm x 60mm same size of 50mm x 50mm centered, if it would retain the same dimensional data, x and y. I am thinking the stroke is what is factoring in the offset, but I need to look at this more. Unfortunately I am freakin' swamped. I'll get back to you.
Member #285 - Civilian

jezza

There's a plugin for CS2, but I think it's handled natively in CS3, or the plug in is included
one sick prepress mofo

DigitalCrapShoveler

The fact that CS3 handles the plug-in built-in would not fix the size variation though, right?
Member #285 - Civilian