quark to illy - i know i shouldn't but....

Started by beermonster, September 12, 2008, 05:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

attention geniuseses - geniusi....all of ya!

right - now you've got over the title you know what's about to unfold.

a mate has a quack file - big dog food carton - lots and lots of text, a dcs2  (which needs to be resaved as psd and re-importing into final illy file - hopefully), many images - and tons of text - european, chinese - just lots of it.

what we are wanting is to get this into an illy format - BUT.....

i postscript out of quack and open in illy - text, whilst "live" is now split into eleventy billion seperate "lines" of text

i pdf out and open in illy- same thing

i pdf out, drop into indy, pdf out - same thing

i export to pdf from quack - open in illy - same thing

postscript and distill crashed distiller with a "kern protection" error

is there a way of keeping these huge blocks of text as paragraphs, or a quick way to relink a whole bunch back into one text block?

moocho grassy arse :cool:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

beermonster

solved - with a bit of surgery

delete all graphics from quack file except quack test - save as microshaft word text - file>place in illy and bang - formatted text in illy

beermonster

wow thanks for the quick response beermonster - i'll go give that a try now!

this place rrrrocks!!!!!!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Sorry man, I was picking something outta my teeth... did you try the save Quark page as an eps? I haven't done it in a while, but it worked... sometimes. I'll try the Word thing. Not a bad idea, if moving a Quark file over to AI is the ONLY option.

I hate those goddamn dog food boxes! I get them all the time!
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

zoinks!

yeah i exported page as eps - same issues.

the text import works nicely - not a one click fits all solution, but it deffo saves my mate re-typing all the korean, chinese, hen-do, hair-do, her-do, spanglish and fronglaisi again!

now then...how to jack my own thread...i wonder....

DigitalCrapShoveler

Hey, just for shits... why do you need to get the Quark file into AI? Might be interesting. :sleepy:
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

well yeah - that was my question too!

i think the answer revolved something around quack being shyte, shyte for positioning, shyte for stepping, well - just shyte really. they are illy gods at his place (they offered me a job 2 weeks ago!) and its all metal decorating, 3D modelling, packaging, POS, major accounts etc etc

and illy is their preferred format - as most packaging pro's prefer it....me too.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: beermonster on September 12, 2008, 07:38:24 AMwell yeah - that was my question too!

i think the answer revolved something around quack being shyte, shyte for positioning, shyte for stepping, well - just shyte really. they are illy gods at his place (they offered me a job 2 weeks ago!) and its all metal decorating, 3D modelling, packaging, POS, major accounts etc etc

and illy is their preferred format - as most packaging pro's prefer it....me too.

Ehh, I would have done it in Quark, but I am not an "Illy God." Ain't a Quark God either, but the problems you listed above are enough for me to not wanna mess with it. Too many variables. Quark is shit, no doubt about it, but foreign type... going from Quark to ANYTHING for that matter could drive me to suicide. I do a lot of boxes here, but we don't do packaging. I just set up files for packaging companies... never even see it done. Thanks man.

You gonna take the job?
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

yeah he did concede he might have to do it in quack - but wanted the hard work converting this time so future was easier - so i kinda get his angle there.

the job - well - i'm not convinced working with ya mates - he's actually my best (only :cry:) friend - is a good idea. i'm mulling it over - lots more travelling - longer hours - prolly similar pay. prob not take the job but it does give me a snapshot of where i am in regards to packaging pre-press..

....which is at the bottom staring up at them folks with the fancy schmancy prinergys and artpro's and neeoo's and stuff - me - i got illy, cs3 and love it

LoganBlade

if many of these. I just tried taking a quark using quark to indesign plug in and then exported a EPS from that. It looked ok and no funny text. If it is something you would like me to try. I am bored and need to do something here at work. link the file and I will try it out if you want. or PM
"dyslexics have more fnu"

beermonster

cheers logan - top man - i appreciate the offer.

i did mention Q2ID it to him - they specifically want to make it illy tho - and as for just buying software ohh no - I.T. gotta research it and stuff - to make sure it's suitable and compatible blah blah....

how do ya get on with that tho - i seem to remember getting pretty good feedback on that q2id

LoganBlade

I like it. Don't use it alot but it has pulled me out of a few spots. I might have to work on the Indesign file a bit but better than a full rebuild to get a job out the door. I think exporting from Indesign to an eps would be way better than from quark only becuase it is an adobe product that has a better idea about what it should do. But really don't hesitate if you would like to see results. I am loosing my mind with how slow it is here.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: beermonster on September 12, 2008, 08:15:21 AMyeah he did concede he might have to do it in quack - but wanted the hard work converting this time so future was easier - so i kinda get his angle there.

the job - well - i'm not convinced working with ya mates - he's actually my best (only :cry:) friend - is a good idea. i'm mulling it over - lots more travelling - longer hours - prolly similar pay. prob not take the job but it does give me a snapshot of where i am in regards to packaging pre-press..

....which is at the bottom staring up at them folks with the fancy schmancy prinergys and artpro's and neeoo's and stuff - me - i got illy, cs3 and love it

Nothing wrong with Old School man! Whatever gets the job done. Your potential might be something they like. It's hard to find packaging people that understand the ins and outs, at least from what I have heard from my packaging cohorts. Could increase you overall career worth working with the "big boys." I would think it over a little more... have a few beers, on top the beers you normally drink... and mull it over some. Never know, sacrifices in the now, sometimes make for a lot better future!

Coincidental maybe? The last Dog Food box I worked on was an internationally printed box. From what I understand, it is being printed all over the world. I wonder if it is the same file? Does the front panel crossover to a side panel with the picture of a cartoon dog on the beach? It was built in Quark originally.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

ok logan - just pm'd ya - wakey wakey!

very true dcs my man - very true - worth a think about a bit more - nice one.

beermonster