Illy install problem

Started by frailer, September 15, 2008, 02:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Daughter in throes of getting validation of student status to fully register CS3 on disk. Will take another week by the time it's all locked in.
In the meantime she's installed it and should be on a fully-functional 30 day trial. All looks good, except for Illy. Doesn't get proper "intro" panel. Just gets a screen as per attachment. Also Plugins have folder icons, but are essentially empty...".aip format unrecognised". Words to that effect.
InDes and PhotoShop OK.

Thing is, she said same thing happened on an earlier download trial, Illy only. This one's off retail-purchased disks.

Have got her doing Apple Updates now. Then I'll get her to Repair Permissions. Restarts etc.

New Mac Pro Xeon. OSX 10.5.4

reinstall looms, I guess. Bin awhile for me...does CS3 have uninstall now?..before a reinstall? Can she reinstall Illy without doing the others?

This has one foot in Illy, one in Mac OS. I'll leave it here... :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jezza

Illy should reinstall straight over the top. There shouldn't be a need for an uninstall.

Check there aren't duplicate items in your application support folder and try running the Adobe updater (good luck with that!)
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Quote from: jezza  link=topic=2354.msg41340#msg41340 date=1221467013Illy should reinstall straight over the top. There shouldn't be a need for an uninstall.

Yep, figured it might be an "over the top". Thanks for confirming jez. Probably won't resolve itself till tomorrow our time. Family's off to see Bill Bailey in the Big City tonight.   :grin:

And I'll see about the Adobe Updates. And yep, any luck thrown our way would be welcome on that. My biggest problem is brainwashing her on Mac basics now, [she's just come over]. Always restart after new software install. Go and do something else while installs are in progress.
Familiarise with Repair Permissions..etc. She's a 100 miles an hour personality. Smart enough, but it's all gotta happen NOW!    :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Not sure about Illy but the installer will not let you install Acrobat "over the top" unless you uninstall it first. The option to install is grayed out until you uninstall. The installer is also the uninstaller I believe. Just select Illy for uninstall and uncheck everything else.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thanks. Shall be looking at this this morning. Problem is the "timetable"...just have to make sure all is well on the Mac first. And make sure she wasn't doing other "stuff" during install...
Unfortunately it's Illy she needs to do the assignment in.

frailer

Resolved it seems. She went into Applications>Adobe>Utilities>Installers, and was able to selectively uninstall Illy, and then she selectively re-installed it. She's using it, and happy, so I can't argue with her.
Can't check out what she did because I won't be in front of the work Mac for another week. All I know is, the problem's gone away...and I'm not complaining.     :grin:

beermonster

heeheeehee you have a few wrestling matches with illy dont ya frailer mate
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

Quote from: beermonster on September 16, 2008, 03:03:46 AMheeheeehee you have a few wrestling matches with illy dont ya frailer mate

Yeah, but I still like it...    :kiss:     :laugh:        Like Dynastrip; love/hate.     :shrug: