What is best Augmented Reality app / software

Started by malam, April 21, 2017, 04:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malam

What would be the best Augmented Reality software to create a simple AR app for mobile. I would like learn.
Or, is there any app available where I can make some AR and make a AR code that I can use in the business card or flyer for distribution.
Mohammed Alam

ninjaPB_43

Interesting that this topic went unanswered...   AR and Interactive Print was very prevalent at Print 18. It is coming...  and fast.

Any prepress operator that wants to stay ahead of the curve and learn new stuff - needs to be looking at how to manage (and edit/manipulate) all the interactive assets that get attached (embedded) into printed images.

...just saying.

Anybody here have any experience? I'm digging my teeth in, but still super wet behind the ears.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

I'm just looking forward to getting out alive at this point.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

johnny_jay

We have a few customers that use Layar (https://www.layar.com/). I help one of those set it up every other month. They just add YouTube videos to the advertisers ad. I download the video and upload it to Layar so the video plays over the page on their phone or tablet. I could also just link to the video to open in YouTube but thought it was cooler to have it play over the ad.

The customer seems to like it and they have repeat advertisers from issue to issue.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Santa

AaronH

Quote from: johnny_jay on October 03, 2018, 12:19:41 PMWe have a few customers that use Layar (https://www.layar.com/). I help one of those set it up every other month. They just add YouTube videos to the advertisers ad. I download the video and upload it to Layar so the video plays over the page on their phone or tablet. I could also just link to the video to open in YouTube but thought it was cooler to have it play over the ad.

The customer seems to like it and they have repeat advertisers from issue to issue.

We were going to do this at the shop I worked at before the current one. There was a local company doing AR stuff like Layar but I don't think that was their name. We ended up losing the bid I think, not sure though it was 4-5 years ago.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

QR codes were supposed to be a big thing too. Just scan it with your phone and it will take you right to the web page. Big whoop about nothing.

johnny_jay

Quote from: Joe on October 03, 2018, 01:42:48 PMQR codes were supposed to be a big thing too. Just scan it with your phone and it will take you right to the web page. Big whoop about nothing.

I think a few years ago the post office was even giving reduced postage prices for magazines that had QR codes.

I've scanned one or two over the years.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Joe

The best use I have found is if a web page on my Mac or PC has QR code for a mobile download link I can just scan it with my phone and abra-ca-dabra it downloads right to my phone instead of me having to download it on my Mac/PC then transfer it to my phone. That is handy. Not Earth shattering but handy.

wonderings

QR codes can be a bit difficult to use and something you need to add on to use. I think they never got traction as it was not automatically integrated into a phones camera, it was another app to add, open, scan and then see what is there.  There needs to be a simpler way to access a QR code for it to catch on with non tech people. These techs to be adopted need to be effortless. Augmented reality is still early days and no one knows exactly where it will really shine. Some of the headsets like the Microsoft Hololens look like they are good for specific work environments, not something I would wear around the house. I would like to see them built into glasses (which is being worked on by Intel I believe), they should look no different. I think once that technology is here AR will really boom... if the price is affordable. AR on a phone is gimmicky, screens are to small, just not a shinning example of what AR could and should be... of course this is all my humble opinion.

Santa

Quote from: wonderings on October 03, 2018, 02:50:01 PMQR codes can be a bit difficult to use and something you need to add on to use. I think they never got traction as it was not automatically integrated into a phones camera, it was another app to add, open, scan and then see what is there.  There needs to be a simpler way to access a QR code for it to catch on with non tech people.

In IOS 11 Apple updated the software to recognize QR codes.  If you just open your iphone camera and frame the QR code in it a link to Safari will pop up and take you immediately over to QR codes landing page or it can scan data directly into your address book

We find a decent amount of use for them in newsletters. Helps keep the page count down and adds live video to a static piece.

On the contacts part we use them for trade show badges or corporate badges.

Oh and we get to charge ZERO extra for it.

( Edited to fix quote ~ Joe )

Torix