Explaining file types to Sales people

Started by Grimace, March 08, 2013, 11:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimace

I am trying to find a guide for the typical sales person that explains, in a way a sales person can understand, different file types and their uses.

Has anyone come across a good breakdown? My Googling isn't finding what I hoped to find.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Quote from: Grimace on March 08, 2013, 11:34:41 AMI am trying to find a guide for the typical sales person that explains, in a way a sales person can understand, different file types and their uses.

Has anyone come across a good breakdown? My Googling isn't finding what I hoped to find.
Really?! I gave up attempting to communicate with the tards in sales. I merely send them a pdf of our digital specs and tell them to forward it to the clients. Trying to explain anything digital to them usually results in their eyes glazing over and at the end of it all they usually say "I'm not sure what all of that means...". We have one that doesn't know how to enact an email attachment - keeps sending us reams of photocopies ffs!! :banghead:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

MCpwr

Quote from: andyfest on March 08, 2013, 12:09:59 PM
Quote from: Grimace on March 08, 2013, 11:34:41 AMI am trying to find a guide for the typical sales person that explains, in a way a sales person can understand, different file types and their uses.

Really?! I gave up attempting to communicate with the tards in sales. I merely send them a pdf of our digital specs and tell them to forward it to the clients. Trying to explain anything digital to them usually results in their eyes glazing over and at the end of it all they usually say "I'm not sure what all of that means...". We have one that doesn't know how to enact an email attachment - keeps sending us reams of photocopies ffs!! :banghead:

I do the same, give them specs for a PDF. Anything else just leads to more trouble, which usually means
more work for me. :angry:
Having more fun then you can shake a stick at since 1987!

t-pat

seems like any way you slice it, it's "TL;DR" and you get what you get.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

The correct answer is a hammer to the head
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Grimace

Quote from: andyfest on March 08, 2013, 12:09:59 PM

Oh, yeah, I have a PDF with specs on it. They just don't know what all those funny letters refer to. And half the time or maybe all the time they don't send the PDF to clients.
When they do, it's mixed results. I've had a customer send our vector template back to us as a TIFF.  I asked for new art and they explained that was an approved format. It was on the list, near the bottom of course. I finally just told the sales person to ask for the native file, I finally got a Illy CS6 file :banghead:

Fontaholic

Quote from: Grimace on March 08, 2013, 11:34:41 AMHas anyone come across a good breakdown?

I think the best breakdown I've been party to was about ten years ago at a Cracker Barrel in New Jersey.

The waitress took our orders and we didn't see her for about half an hour -- no drinks, nothing.

The place was crazy-busy, so we figured something was up.  Finally we flagged down another waitress and asked her where ours had disappeared to.

A few minutes later, an apologetic manager approached us and said that our waitress was in his office, having a nervous breakdown!  :shocked:

Needless to say, we did not pay for that meal...

Oh, wait -- wrong kind of breakdown??  :cheesy:

Cheers, John

Farabomb

Yep, living and working in Jersey can easily cause breakdowns.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: opsprinting on March 11, 2013, 06:25:31 AMhaving a nervous breakdown! 

:laugh:  They come and go. I'm way overdue. Almost lost it last week. Just waiting for the right moment.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

The woman had one Friday and I can't say I blame her. Seems some piece of shit where she works decided to (guys, you may want to stop reading) mutilate a client's penis. This client has be targeted before, someone drew a swastika on his neck. Now seems they are escalating it. He required 7 stitches to close the 2 cuts. Who does shit like that?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Grimace

Quote from: Farabomb on March 11, 2013, 08:11:02 AMThe woman had one Friday and I can't say I blame her. Seems some piece of shit where she works decided to (guys, you may want to stop reading) mutilate a client's penis. This client has be targeted before, someone drew a swastika on his neck. Now seems they are escalating it. He required 7 stitches to close the 2 cuts. Who does shit like that?

Are they hiring?

Farabomb

I think there is openings in the food service area but you really don't want to work there. It's a historical institution that goes back centuries. I'm pretty sure the GF's cottage is cursed.

Of course becasue it's on prime real estate so the historical aspect means nothing to the ever advancing "progress", Never mind the best interest of the clients.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job